The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hot Rod a Mac Book Pro

Ben Rubinstein

I'm just wondering what would give me the bigger overall boost, upgrading from Core 2 Duo to Core 2 Quad or SSD's. I've already got 8GB Ram and don't need any more. Methinks the SSD's will make the bigger difference.

woodyspedden

The quad core David is the real ticket Apple needs to address . I have a E-sata going through the express port and 8gbs of ram which is very respectable but the issue is the cores and they need to address that especially for us C1 users that is core dependent. Now with Snow Leopard coming I am not sure what that will bring to the table and reported there is a performance boost so I think the best thing for Mac users at the moment is hold on wait for Snow leopard than come back and address the SSD.

But I certainly agree they need a REAL Pro laptop that us pigs really need
Guy

Problem for us C1 users is that Aperture is an Apple owned product so I don't think Apple cares much about what happens to C1

woody

J

jjlphoto

Thanks a lot Guy. First you convince me to get a bunch of German glass, now this? I can't keep up :cry:

Love this Hot Rodding post! For in-the-field back up, I was considering abandoning the idea of using the laptop's discarded HD in a case, and just a using an ExpressCard SSD in the laptops PCI slot? Anyone try that?

J

jjlphoto

I'm just wondering what would give me the bigger overall boost, upgrading from Core 2 Duo to Core 2 Quad or SSD's. I've already got 8GB Ram and don't need any more. Methinks the SSD's will make the bigger difference.
With the 'welded in' battery, anything that uses less juice is a winner in my book.

J

jjlphoto

The new units do not allow for you to keep a spare 'charged' battery on hand. You have to make the unit last until you get back to some power to re-charge. Eliminating any excess drain is good, such as the power consumption of a conventional spinning hard drive with its moving armature.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy

Problem for us C1 users is that Aperture is an Apple owned product so I don't think Apple cares much about what happens to C1

woody
But they would still need more cores even for Final Cut Pro. Apple needs to up the game here with more cores. The system would simply run faster like a MacPro with more cores