The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mac Screen Sharing

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well i never tried this and this month I have a workshop with about 8 people and only one person is on a PC but we do have a extra MBP if we need it. In the past Jack and I have used big monitors and projectors and the projector is very nice but this time I would like to take over everyones screen. So they all buy me presents at CI. LOL

Seriously what I would like to do is have everyone see my laptop screen as Doug and I demo C1. I think it would be a lot better for folks to actually sit in front of there computer and watch and listen to instruction. I know this is possible on the newer makes with Leopard. My question is this do we actually need the internet to see each other, or how do we create a network in the middle of nowhere. What do I need to create this so there is a network or do we just see each other through our wireless WiFi. Anyone that has done this that can help me. Do I need a airport to plug into a wall like the Airport Express base Station like this http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB321LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MjE0NDc0OQ

Guy Mancuso

I should point out we do not need to see the internet just each other and use a password that we can apply and just plug in and go and than move on to the next hotel. I want something easy

jonoslack

I should point out we do not need to see the internet just each other and use a password that we can apply and just plug in and go and than move on to the next hotel. I want something easy
HI Guy
Yes
We've tried it with three computers here - you will need to create a network somehow - probably just take a Airport box - you won't need the internet

Mind you, if I was there I simply wouldn't be able to resist fiddling with Jack's mouse, which would cause chaos and mayhem!
:ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Just use one of the macs to make a network and then have the others join it.
Use zero-conf for name resolution (e.g. xyz.local)
I think that the PC might be able to use zeroconf too, but I am about a year and a half out of date.
-bob

jonoslack

Just use one of the macs to make a network and then have the others join it.
Use zero-conf for name resolution (e.g. xyz.local)
I think that the PC might be able to use zeroconf too, but I am about a year and a half out of date.
-bob
HI Bob
You're right - but an Express is a cheap and simple solution, and it saves messing with the configuration on one of the macs - mind you, it's not that much effort!

I'd still worry about mouse vandals though :)

. . . if you get an airport express Guy you can play your itunes library through your hi-fi. There are loads around our house, you can have hours of fun blasting out children with disgusting music when they least expect it :)

D

ddk

Can you create a network with just an express without the airport?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The host mac can generate an "ad-hoc" network. Any mac with OSX 10.5 can work with no additional software.

1) Go to your wireless network selector at the top right next to the clock and select "Create a Network"
2) [Preferences > Users > Add] and create a public user (e.g. name="workshop", pass="password")
3) [Preferences > Sharing > Screen Sharing] and turn it on and select the Public user.
4) Go to any other 10.5 mac (within maybe 20 meters) and join the network you created.
5) Go to the finder and under "shared" devices select the sharing-laptop and push "screen share" - typing in the public username and password.

For best results match the resolutions of the monitors reasonably well (e.g. if you're sharing a 30" ACD to 17" laptops you'd want to set the resolution of the 30" to the resolution of the 17" laptops.

Using an Airport Base Station would help modestly with stability and speed (offloading the creation/management of the network to a dedicated device) but is probably not needed.

I'll have two MBP 17" with me that, during the presentations, could be dedicated "viewing" machines.

edit: See attached screen grabs.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I figured you knew how to do this. Great stuff , should I get the Airport Express will it be better. We really are in remote area's of Arizona, wondering if it would help. Let me know

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I figured you knew how to do this. Great stuff , should I get the Airport Express will it be better. We really are in remote area's of Arizona, wondering if it would help. Let me know
The Airport Express would be a good idea in the category of "can't hurt; could help".