The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Macbook Pros

Lars

I was planning to swap my 5400 drive out of my 17", but I simply can't get hold of the 7200 500Gb in the UK - they don't seem to exist (everyone shows them, but nobody has them). I guess apple have bought them all for new machines.

I'll go to SSd, but I'm going to wait until they get up to at least 300Gb (I can leave my main photo library at home, but not my itunes library!).
How about the 250GB Seagate 7200.4? It does get the best throughput at toms hardware.
The largest supplier in Sweden shows the 500GB Seagate 7200.4 in stock, 250GB in 1-2 days.

jonoslack

How about the 250GB Seagate 7200.4? It does get the best throughput at toms hardware.
The largest supplier in Sweden shows the 500GB Seagate 7200.4 in stock, 250GB in 1-2 days.
HI Lars
My itunes library is nearly that big :ROTFL:
I'm sure I'll be able to get the 500gb soon

Incidentally, which is the best way to transfer the data, is it:

1. clone the disk and swap
2. time machine backup, clean install and restore
3. clean install and then migrate from old disk in caddy
4. clean install and then reinstall everything and copy over data
or what?

Starting from scratch completely and reinstalling everything is a very time intensive business!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Number 1 . Use Carbon cloner and make it bootable. Just download the program and put the new drive in a firewire 800 enclosure. Format it than carbon clone, than switch the drives. Do boot from the firewire 800 new drive first just to make sure all went well than make the switch

jonoslack

Number 1 . Use Carbon cloner and make it bootable. Just download the program and put the new drive in a firewire 800 enclosure. Format it than carbon clone, than switch the drives. Do boot from the firewire 800 new drive first just to make sure all went well than make the switch
HI Guy
Thanks for that - that's what I did last time I changed, and I had a niggly feeling that someone said it was a bad idea.

Now all I have to do is to find the drive!

Guy Mancuso

Actually best way to go. You get exactly what you have on your original drive. No surprises. We don't want surprises when doing this task.

Terry

I bit the bullet and simply paid up for the Intel 160gb SSD so I could get it done once and be set to go. I won't be keeping my images or my music on this laptop so I don't think space is going to be my constraint. It may come down in price but I'm not going to get overly uptight about it...at the most the difference in price will be a couple hundred dollars and now in the meantime, I can summit Everest.

jonoslack

I bit the bullet and simply paid up for the Intel 160gb SSD so I could get it done once and be set to go. I won't be keeping my images or my music on this laptop so I don't think space is going to be my constraint. It may come down in price but I'm not going to get overly uptight about it...at the most the difference in price will be a couple hundred dollars and now in the meantime, I can summit Everest.
Well, I'm jealous - enjoy . . .my air is sitting on the sofa, pretty much unused. on the other hand, perhaps not that jealous as the 17"mpb is fab

Terry

OK, the Apple store got the new MacBook Pro's in today. I picked up the 13". The whole setup took about a minute although my 36,103 emails took a little longer to download. Interesting that neither the iTunes or Safari 4 were loaded but I picked them up from a software update. The unibody design really is a thing of beauty.

Guy Mancuso

Sounds like you are locked and loaded now. Will make the HD change for you when you come next week. I'll tell you this maybe the best deal Apple put out this time around. This thing would be a amazing tethered setup in the field. Better stop thinking about it right now. LOL

Terry

Interesting how low I have the brightness of the screen turned down (actually the default was set pretty low). Moving the slider you can make the screen massively bright. I think it will be interesting to see how it calibrates. I think I will bring an eye-one with me.

Terry

I picked up the 2.53 GHz version of the 13" MBP (standard 4gb RAM) . This morning I swapped the standard hard drive for an Intel 160gb SSD.

My thoughts: Even before the drive swap, this machine feels noticeably faster than my spring 2008 2.4GHz 15" MBP also with 4gb RAM but I guess the older DDR2 and not the DDR3 memory. After, the drive swap not even a question.

The screen: they have definitely improved the viewing angle. I haven't found a position where it is even remotely a problem and changing my viewing angle by changing the position of the screen doesn't seem to change my perception of the colors (hard to explain but I think you may know what I'm talking about). This screen is "light years" different than the screen on my 13" black Macbook of spring 2007 vintage. The whites are white and there is more contrast but it doesn't remotely feel contrasty, the colors feel subtle. Hard to describe other than it is a pleasure to sit in front of this screen. Hard for me to compare it to the 15" as I can't set them up side by side right now.

Thank goodness for getting the firewire 800 back on this model!!!

In order to try and maximize screen real estate trying something new with hiding the dock on the left instead of the bottom.

I love the multi touch trackpads. Months ago, I wrote to Apple that I wish they would do a stand alone multi touch device so I could ditch the mouse on my desktop! No luck yet!

Bottom line this is the fastest most beautifully designed laptop I've ever had. I'll report back in next week after working at 13" on big 25mp files. Not expecting miracles as I'm sure it will be hard to adjust after using a 30" cinema display.

Terry

After doing all of this I made the stupid mistake of reading some information on line that shows Apple cutting the SATA speed from 3.0 down to 1.5 triggering an over 400 post thread on Macrumors and more on Apple discussions. I spent a long time on the phone with Apple Care trying to get the clarification and more information as to speed downgrade. In the meantime, Guy had me run xbench on my new configuration and then I went on the xbench site and looked at a posted test of my exact original configuration (2.53GHz, 4gb RAM, 250gb 5400 drive). Here is the difference (mine is the top portion and the one from the xbench site has the red)....

The top portion will show the big difference in overall score 198/137

View attachment 17662

View attachment 17664

Now compare at the bottom the read/write speeds. The SSD isn't giving up any speed on the write times but is substantially faster on the read times.

View attachment 17663

View attachment 17665

Finally, Guy and I just compared notes on this configuration vs. his souped up supercharged 15" MBP which is clearly faster with an overall score in the mid two hundreds.

Guy Mancuso

Looking good Terry and you know down the road to push CS4 along faster and work with more open programs you can always add 8 gbs of ram. You still have elbow room to grow with it by going Raid 0 if you ever wanted too.