Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Macbook Pros

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New Macbook Pros

I'm surprised none of you nerds have said anything about the new Macs. Have I missed it?

The Macbook Pro is now available with a 3.06 processor, and a 256GB SSD. Guy's probably at the Apple store and will report back later.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Macbook Pros

Hey i was watching the live feed on MacRumors but truth be told it was Terry who lead me there. When it comes in Quad core than I will be at the apple store until than I'm just humming along here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having bought a 17" mbp a few weeks ago I'm humming along too:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm,mmmmm,mmmm

Mind you I'll be having one of those new iphones!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, but while Apple giveth something new, it also taketh something old but useful. The EC/34 slot is now only available on the 17" MBP, which means those eSATA RAIDs and stuff the folks hook up to externally are not going to be possible on the 13" or 15" MBP. The FW800 is nice to see across the line, but only one slot on the smaller models and no provision for anything but daisy-chaining for more drive access, and that cuts throughput.

The SD slot is a bit odd also. Looks more like something for the consumer line than the professional line. Even if it is the "future" and CF starts to go away, there are still tons of cameras and devices using CF, and now, with only a relatively poor performing USB2 or a single FW800 port, the days of high speed card offloads and back-ups away from the office just got more difficult for all but the 17" MBP.

Finally, only the 17" MBP has the matte screen option. Some may not care, but I think a lot of folks would like to have seen the matte screen back on the 15" MBP at least. No luck there.

So, while a bit of speed boost is nice to see, some of the other valuable pieces of the puzzle are no longer there or still not offered on the smaller models. In the end, the 15" is probably still the most attractive for overall size and features and speed, but it has now fallen to a decidedly less professional level than its 17" big brother with respect to connectivity and screen options, and the 13", while nice to see its return for small yet powerful capability, is also a bit hamstrung, but it always was with respect to the other MBPs. The price drop is a plus all the way around, so at least a good note to end on, eh?

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My reaction is mixed too, like LJ. I'm really glad I decided to go with a NAS instead of an external SATA box. Still, if ZFS is fully supported that would of made really nice external drive solution that now I have to get a 17" Macbook Pro or Mac Pro to do, neither of which I'm wild about. The SD card slot is ok. I wonder if it supports SDXC or it can be upgraded to it. With speeds on SDXC looking like it could exceed CF, you might see DSLRs move to the format and just having an SD slot would look better. Now it does seem very consumer oriented for a 'professional' machine. More battery life and a low price are always welcome.

A few years ago I didn't see the need for a mid range desktop machine, but I'm feeling that need now after they dropped the express card. Mac Pro is too much machine for my needs. Too expensive and too big. The 17" Macbook is too big for Tokyo. None of the other machines give me a way to include an external SATA which I'd really like. Hopefully the next generation iMacs will include one or two.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, and a company is Tokyo is rolling out Wifi max. I'm going to hold out and hope Apple includes it in a notebook soon. That would rock.
    Charles - flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me there was some good news. I actually really wanted a small laptop and would have loved the Air if they could ever get the specs right for me. I would only get it with 4gb memory and a 3G card internally (since there are so few external connections. But the new 13" pro with a better screen, lots of ram, faster processor, is what I am going to buy.

The only downer is the hard drive. Comes with a 5400 and there are no 7200's on build to order. That doesn't bother be as I am happy to swap drives but now it is built like the 17" where you have to take it apart. Shame I thought it was really in a good spot on the first round of unibody machines. I went to the store after work. They are saying Thursday for stock. I will get the higher end 13" model but get the base 250gb drive and upgrade that going forward.

One little thank you to Apple is the pricing on AppleCare. They left the 13" at $249 consumer pricing and not the more expensive MBP prices.

I know being on a 13" screen is not ideal for photo work, for me it is good enough when traveling and I want to cut space/weight.

Post Thanks / Like

One good thing is the new battery life across the board. I can watch the good, the bad, the ugly when flying non stop without missing the ending. LOL For me the laptops is jsut about when i am the road I like a desktop for my main machine. Still I am thinking of getting one as my laptop is just over 3 years old. I am a 15 inch fan sorry it is just one firewire slot oh well. Built in sd my leica is happy. David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went totally to the 15 inch MPB and of course mine is quite souped up and actually glad I bought the 2.93 awhile back . Like LJ mentioned the Express slot being taken away was a bad move. I use mine for a fast external that holds my working files and OS backup and I use CF cards so it does nothing for me in the long run for the new one. Apple really needs to be adding connectivity not taking things away. We really need 2 Firewire 800 ports 3 USB ports . DVI normal connection and the new mini display. Plus leave the Express slot in tact and frankly add a E-sata connection would be ideal than we don't need the Express slot. Calling Steve tomorrow and voice my wishes. Ohand room for (3) 2.5 SSD drives. Yes rip the optical and send it packing. Also lets not forget Quad cores. Yea I am a pig and proud of it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By the way Guy,
    The 13" does have a display port so it at least can drive the newish 23" monitor. It will be interesting to see if it can go bigger when the 30" is updated to be a display port.

It will also be interesting to come up with a configuration that works. I bought a firewire 800 card reader to deal with the much larger files from the A900 but I also want my external drive to run on the firewire port.

There are compromises in every machine but at least the compromises cost less these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You maybe able to run a 30 inch but not with the laptop screen open. I can do both with the 9600 video card but my guess with the 9400 you could run 30 inch closed laptop lid and 24 with laptop open. You should be fine as this is not your main computer. Mine has a Drobo on the Firewire 800 and than the express slot is running a fast 3.5 external drive.

Now I should say even if this was your main unit, it still is a sweetie since you can get 8gb of ram in it . Put a fast 7200 drive or SSD drive in it and power maybe a 30 inch. For many folks this is a perfect setup and at a good price. The 13 inch now does look more valid for shooters and travel. Since we can have some horsepower on the road and a big drive in it.

Terry if you want to try and drive the 30 inch than you will need the dual DVI adapter I have for 99 dollars or just wait and we can try it next week when you come out here on mine and see if it powers it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apple makes a mini-displayport to dual DVI adapter, so I know it can display on the 30". As Guy suggested your video card may be the limiting factor.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A?s=alpha
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

AR coating on those glossy screens is overdue, as well an eSata connector. Personally I'd be prepared to sacrifice some thinness for CF and EC slot.

I like the concept of big batteries, but a non-replaceable battery needs to be able to go into the double digits. I suspect the reason Apple are going this route is that they see their hardware/software package becoming more of a battery hog. If that's the case (ok, big if) then heat dissipation might become a problem on the high end laptops.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post

I like the concept of big batteries, but a non-replaceable battery needs to be able to go into the double digits. I suspect the reason Apple are going this route is that they see their hardware/software package becoming more of a battery hog. If that's the case (ok, big if) then heat dissipation might become a problem on the high end laptops.
    Not sure I understand what you mean. In terms of life, this one has longer run time and more charge cycles than the old. If the battery is as claimed, I won't ever need a new battery during the useful life of this computer. In previous incarnations where the battery was the shape of the body it meant every time they made a body style change there was a battery change and that is a lot of inventory sku's. If they can do one generic battery that goes in all of the cases (13, 15, 17) and don't need to apply a lot industrial design appeal to it, I'm fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing this new 13 inch maybe really good for is tethering in the field . Certainly beats any camera LCD screen out there. For the low price makes a lot of sense than dragging out your fully maxed out 15 inch at a 4k cost. I better stop thinking about this , I am starting to feel a slight tug on my pocket.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    One thing this new 13 inch maybe really good for is tethering in the field . Certainly beats any camera LCD screen out there. For the low price makes a lot of sense than dragging out your fully maxed out 15 inch at a 4k cost. I better stop thinking about this , I am starting to feel a slight tug on my pocket.
    I guess we will have to try it in AZ won't we (which I would assume was your subliminal message anyway). What sort of cable is needed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Not sure I understand what you mean. In terms of life, this one has longer run time and more charge cycles than the old. If the battery is as claimed, I won't ever need a new battery during the useful life of this computer. In previous incarnations where the battery was the shape of the body it meant every time they made a body style change there was a battery change and that is a lot of inventory sku's. If they can do one generic battery that goes in all of the cases (13, 15, 17) and don't need to apply a lot industrial design appeal to it, I'm fine.
    I was referring to running time (in hours) on a charge. Bigger battery means the manufacturer wants to either claim longer running time on a charge, or allow for higher power consumption given a certain running time, or a combination. Higher power consumption means more heat. My suspicion is that Apple wants to keep the door open for heavy graphic card usage, and we've already seen overheating problems with Apple laptops in the last year.

The integrated batteries are not the same SKU, rather they are even more specific than in the past, using moldable lithium ion polymers to use all available internal volume. So if the internal space changes significantly with model upgrades then a new battery model will have to be manufactured.

Mobile phone manufacturers have even researched the possiblilty pf molding the casing out of lithium ion polymer battery material.

Re battery lifespan, Apple claims a long lifespan. So do many manufacturers. Everyone disappoints. We'll see how it pans out in real life in a few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess we will have to try it in AZ won't we (which I would assume was your subliminal message anyway). What sort of cable is needed?

Firewire 800 to 400. I have one

Post Thanks / Like

I think the new batteries are a good move for Apple. The older removable ones are weak, and seem more prone to problems. I was initially more hesitant about the new ones, but much less so now. They can be replaced by Apple in store, and my guess is that there will be some third party kits at some point too. The new battery does give more run time, and I still think it a prelude to Quad core processors when they hit the streets and need more power. Just my imaginary thinking of forward design for Apple....could be wrong, but hope not ;-)

Like Guy, my thoughts for the 13" were for field shooting use when tethered. Seems like the ideal machine for that, with a much higher quality screen and such. Still would like to see AR instead of gloss as an option.

My bigger worry is with all these little takes and adds, it is becoming a bit less predictable for selecting peripherals and stuff. I wish Apple would settle on some greater connectivity scheme of ports and stuff, but they may be running into internal space issues to support them. That is what I think was an issue with the new battery config and the EC/34 slot on the 15". The 17" has a lot more internal space, but the smaller units may be really cramped to not allow accommodating the extra ports and wiring and stuff. Do not really know.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

True and that maybe the case but a E-sata connector is small and honestly if they did that , than no need for the express slot per say. Now if it did have the E-sata that would seriously interest me even though I just bought the 2.93 a couple months ago. Lot's of moaning going on about the loss of the Express card that Apple is getting more consumer like on the Apple forums. Have to agree with them, for many this may not matter but if you want to work outside the box than all you have is Firewire 800 which is nice but not nearly as fast as E-sata. A SSD card reader is a nice feature but it also spells consumer to me.

Post Thanks / Like

True and that maybe the case but a E-sata connector is small and honestly if they did that , than no need for the express slot per say. Now if it did have the E-sata that would seriously interest me even though I just bought the 2.93 a couple months ago. Lot's of moaning going on about the loss of the Express card that Apple is getting more consumer like on the Apple forums. Have to agree with them, for many this may not matter but if you want to work outside the box than all you have is Firewire 800 which is nice but not nearly as fast as E-sata. A SSD card reader is a nice feature but it also spells consumer to me.
    I agree, but it seems like there are some "competing" issues with some Apple stuff. They have not really embraced the eSATA side of things at all. Might be because there is no easy way to provide internal power, like FW can and some of the USB2 stuff can now. Do not even see it on the Mac Pro, except piping wires from the inside, or something. It seems like it would be an easy add, but for reasons unexplained, they are not going that way.

Seriously doubt that the 3.06GHz is going to be that much faster than your 2.93, Guy. They are the same platform, so only a very teeny speed boost. The Quad cores may be a different story, as even the lower clock speeds there are beating higher clock speeds on duo-core machines.

I still think Apple would be wise to configure the "pro" laptops with some "pro" connectivity, meaning FW800, eSATA, USB2 in more than one port each, plus DVI or whatever in a more standard config....or at least supply the connector without ripping folks off so much. Only the 17" has the greater utility and connectivity....plus that matte screen some of us prefer

The other "loss" of the ECC/34 card on the smaller machines means no easy non-WiFi/BT connection. Would be nice if they started to build in a wireless card that worked on any network (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint/Nextel, etc.). At least with the EC/34 slot, you could get a card. And since AT&T has NOT yet allowed tethering with the iPhone, the smaller MBPs, like the Air, can only get Internet connection via hardwire or WiFi, and those are not always available when and where you might want/need them sometimes.

Sorry if much of this sounds like grousing, but by this point, the manufacturers should have a pretty good idea what the "pro" users, or serious business users could really use and then build that into their "pro" level machines. Not sure why it is such a problem, and now, with the even more restricted ports, it becomes even harder to configure things with possible third-party solutions. Sorry, but USB2 is NOT the best answer.

LJ

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm surprised that there's still no eSATA, and only two USB and one FW port. That limits usability. On the other hand, the SD slot is a very positive development.

The only surprising thing about SD is that it isn't standard on all cameras. They are cheaper, have enough capacity, there are no pins to bend (I understand why Apple don't want to deal with that) and they can be bought almost anywhere. Another reason to buy a K7, I guess. Or an M8?

The 13" seems like a good travel option. Pity that I just bought a netbook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, do you see the possibility of tuning up the new 13" Pro with dual SSD's like you did with your 15", or is it pointless due to limited resolution and graphics performance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well you could certainly rip out the optical bay on them depending on how it looks inside. Certainly the same space as the 15 inch. I'm sure maxupgrades would have a bracket out fairly soon to do that. If it can push a 30 inch display with a closed lid and you can calibrate it okay than it might be fine. I wonder if the color gamut would be okay and they did say this is the improved screen so it should be pretty good. I think if you are going to make a race horse from this though maybe the 15 inch might be the better option with a better graphics card and more Vram. I think when Snow leopard comes out it will take more advantage of Open GL and that is when the higher end graphics cards might boost some performance. Maybe Jack and Lloyd could address what Snow leopard may bring to the table more with regard to Open GL.

I think this is only L2 3mg cache compared to L2 6mg cache in the 15 inch. Have to check this

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup what I suspected

2.53GHz or 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed; or 2.8GHz or 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now here is the graphics what they don't tell you if you have to close the lid on the 13 inch i suspect you do

All models: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory4
    Selected models: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.66GHz configuration; or 512MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.8GHz and 3.06GHz configurations
    Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now this is my unit

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0647
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 3385
    gMux Version: 1.7.3
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1440 x 900
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Built-In: Yes
    Cinema HD:
    Resolution: 2560 x 1600
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Rotation: Supported
    Adapter Type: Mini DisplayPort To Dual-Link DVI Adapter
    Adapter Firmware Version: 1.02

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As you can see i am running both the 30 inch and the laptop together with the 9600.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Big difference even within the 15" configurations then - you have to step up to 2.8GHz to get 6MB L2 cache and fully loaded graphics memory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea looks like it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is where the rubber may hit the road and if C1 can take advantage of this and all the Raw processors than maybe just maybe us MBP users won't feel the dual core as a disadvantage over the MacPro when we process files that the software is more core dependent. There is some hope here

From Macrumors

Meanwhile, Apple also details which GPUs will be supported for their upcoming OpenCL API. OpenCL will allow developers to easily offload additional processing tasks to the computer's GPU. Some tasks may find greater benefit from this than others, but could potentially offer substantial performance boosts. The list of supported GPUs include:

- NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GTS, Geforce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130.
    - ATI Radeon 4850, Radeon 4870

In one specific example, one company found a 5-fold increase in video encoding when using OpenCL-like technology on the PC.

Post Thanks / Like

And the plot thickens a bit more. Just read that Snow Leopard will only work on Intel-chipped machines. Guess it is the end of the line for supporting the PowerPC machines if one wants to run the most recent OS. We probably saw it coming, but the old G5s and stuff some of us still run will now become servers and stuff, I guess.

Here is a link to an article on the topic:
    http://news.cnet.com/one-more-thing/...t;overviewHead

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now the question on the 13" is:

live with the 5400 drive and replace later this year with an SSD
    swap the 5400 for one of the new 500gb very fast 7200's now for $154
    or
    swap the 5400 for one of the new 500gb very fast 7200's now for $154 and still do the SSD later this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would personally immediately swap for the 7200 drive in about 5 minutes after I owned it. LOL

Seriously Terry get the computer all setup for yourself order the 7200 drive and next week I will swap the drives out for you. Just let me know I need my little enclosure and my screwdrivers to bring but grand total about a half hour to reboot. Just that simple.

But if you wanted SSD now the Intel 160gb as a single drive is the ONLY one I would buy right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167015

I have 2 80gb drives like this running Raid 0 the only thing faster would be running two E class drives but that is a 1400 dollar upgrade right now and just too much money. 619 is not bad for the M 160 gb drive it will go lower and actually has but it may never get below 500 dollars. Pick your price point

But let me give you a couple very solid reasons for SSD.
    I simply cannot hear this machine run at all
    Runs very cool
    More rugged nothing spinning
    Better at altitude
    The read times are blazingly fast
    Power up and applications are much quicker to open
    CS4 takes less than 3 seconds to open, not that it means a damn thing in work load but certainly fun

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So the laptop will keep running at high altitude even if I've already passed out. Good to know.

terry
    Last edited by Terry; 10th June 2009 at 06:50.

Post Thanks / Like

So the laptop will keep running at high altitude even if I've already passed out. Good to know.

terry
    And if you were doing a video conference through iChat or something, you could share that experience with others.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

terry
    Actually someone did take this up to Mt Everest with SSD on board

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only downer is the hard drive. Comes with a 5400 and there are no 7200's on build to order. That doesn't bother be as I am happy to swap drives but now it is built like the 17" where you have to take it apart. Shame I thought it was really in a good spot on the first round of unibody machines.
    HI Terry
    if the 13" is like the 17" (and I'm sure it is) then changing the drive is really easy - there are a few screws on the bottom plate, but after that it's absolutely simple, and it IS a user replaceable part, so there aren't warranty issues.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually someone did take this up to Mt Everest with SSD on board
    Considering the fatality rate of Everest climbers I'd say that someone has some seriously twisted priorities.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now the question on the 13" is:

live with the 5400 drive and replace later this year with an SSD
    swap the 5400 for one of the new 500gb very fast 7200's now for $154
    or
    swap the 5400 for one of the new 500gb very fast 7200's now for $154 and still do the SSD later this year.
    I was planning to swap my 5400 drive out of my 17", but I simply can't get hold of the 7200 500Gb in the UK - they don't seem to exist (everyone shows them, but nobody has them). I guess apple have bought them all for new machines.

I'll go to SSd, but I'm going to wait until they get up to at least 300Gb (I can leave my main photo library at home, but not my itunes library!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Considering the fatality rate of Everest climbers I'd say that someone has some seriously twisted priorities.
    Agreed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I was planning to swap my 5400 drive out of my 17", but I simply can't get hold of the 7200 500Gb in the UK - they don't seem to exist (everyone shows them, but nobody has them). I guess apple have bought them all for new machines.

I'll go to SSd, but I'm going to wait until they get up to at least 300Gb (I can leave my main photo library at home, but not my itunes library!).
    How about the 250GB Seagate 7200.4? It does get the best throughput at toms hardware.
    The largest supplier in Sweden shows the 500GB Seagate 7200.4 in stock, 250GB in 1-2 days.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How about the 250GB Seagate 7200.4? It does get the best throughput at toms hardware.
    The largest supplier in Sweden shows the 500GB Seagate 7200.4 in stock, 250GB in 1-2 days.
    HI Lars
    My itunes library is nearly that big
    I'm sure I'll be able to get the 500gb soon

Incidentally, which is the best way to transfer the data, is it:

1. clone the disk and swap
    2. time machine backup, clean install and restore
    3. clean install and then migrate from old disk in caddy
    4. clean install and then reinstall everything and copy over data
    or what?

Starting from scratch completely and reinstalling everything is a very time intensive business!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Number 1 . Use Carbon cloner and make it bootable. Just download the program and put the new drive in a firewire 800 enclosure. Format it than carbon clone, than switch the drives. Do boot from the firewire 800 new drive first just to make sure all went well than make the switch

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Number 1 . Use Carbon cloner and make it bootable. Just download the program and put the new drive in a firewire 800 enclosure. Format it than carbon clone, than switch the drives. Do boot from the firewire 800 new drive first just to make sure all went well than make the switch
    HI Guy
    Thanks for that - that's what I did last time I changed, and I had a niggly feeling that someone said it was a bad idea.

Now all I have to do is to find the drive!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually best way to go. You get exactly what you have on your original drive. No surprises. We don't want surprises when doing this task.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually best way to go. You get exactly what you have on your original drive. No surprises. We don't want surprises when doing this task.
    Quite right - it's also by some way the quickest way to do it.
    I just found a drive to order as well

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bit the bullet and simply paid up for the Intel 160gb SSD so I could get it done once and be set to go. I won't be keeping my images or my music on this laptop so I don't think space is going to be my constraint. It may come down in price but I'm not going to get overly uptight about it...at the most the difference in price will be a couple hundred dollars and now in the meantime, I can summit Everest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Better hire the mule now. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bit the bullet and simply paid up for the Intel 160gb SSD so I could get it done once and be set to go. I won't be keeping my images or my music on this laptop so I don't think space is going to be my constraint. It may come down in price but I'm not going to get overly uptight about it...at the most the difference in price will be a couple hundred dollars and now in the meantime, I can summit Everest.
    Well, I'm jealous - enjoy . . .my air is sitting on the sofa, pretty much unused. on the other hand, perhaps not that jealous as the 17"mpb is fab

Just this guy you know