Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Mac gurus - help on password?

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Exclamation Mac gurus - help on password?

    One of the imacs here suddenly refused to accept the user password.
    we first repaired permissions, didn't help.
    so we restarted it . . .
    there seems to be no way to log in.
    we have logged on as 'root user' and tried the password reset.
    Reset Password Failed

    we are rather at our wits end . . . has anyone got any suggestions?

    Just this guy you know

  2. #2
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3853
    Is this the reset password that you tried?
    -bob

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3853
    Is this the reset password that you tried?
    -bob
    HI Bob
    we tried it both this way, and by logging on as root user.

    the difference this way is that it didn't say it had failed, it simply didn't work.

    Just this guy you know

  4. #4
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    Jono,
    Were you able to log on as root in single user mode?
    -bob

  5. #5
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?


  6. #6
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    Wish I could help here. Never run into this
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    One of the imacs here suddenly refused to accept the user password.
    we first repaired permissions, didn't help.
    so we restarted it . . .
    there seems to be no way to log in.
    we have logged on as 'root user' and tried the password reset.
    Reset Password Failed

    we are rather at our wits end . . . has anyone got any suggestions?
    Put a Mac OS X distribution DVD into the drive and restart the system holding down the 'C' key. That boots it from the DVD. Get to an installer screen with a menubar. From the menu, choose the Password Reset utility. Reset all the passwords you want, then restart.

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Put a Mac OS X distribution DVD into the drive and restart the system holding down the 'C' key. That boots it from the DVD. Get to an installer screen with a menubar. From the menu, choose the Password Reset utility. Reset all the passwords you want, then restart.
    HI Godfrey
    Tried that - it doesn't work - unlike logging on as root user (where it says that password reset failed) is that it implies that it has worked, but it simply hasn't

    We've seen this once before, and there are messages on the apple boards about it, but no obvious solutions. the other time the only thing we could do was to reinstall OSx and start again.

    Just this guy you know

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Hi Bob
    Thanks for that - but we haven't lost the root user password, and can log in as root okay. It's the main user password that seems 'stuck'

    Just this guy you know

  10. #10
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    In that case, can you, as root, create a new user account?
    Then I would suggest migrating the old account's data files to the new account, then deleting the old user.
    -bob

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    In that case, can you, as root, create a new user account?
    Then I would suggest migrating the old account's data files to the new account, then deleting the old user.
    -bob
    It's a possibility - and something I tried last time, but suddenly one is faced with setting everything up again.

    There's no problem with losing the data (I mean it's all backed up properly) - one can, at worst, put the machine in target disk mode and then copy it off (it's backed up anyway). It's just that it would be nice not to have to go through all that

    Just this guy you know

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Godfrey
    Tried that - it doesn't work - unlike logging on as root user (where it says that password reset failed) is that it implies that it has worked, but it simply hasn't

    We've seen this once before, and there are messages on the apple boards about it, but no obvious solutions. the other time the only thing we could do was to reinstall OSx and start again.
    That's quite odd. I've done this dozens of times with my client's machines. Hmm .. Maybe I'll do a test today. I need to build a test system anyway.

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    It's a possibility - and something I tried last time, but suddenly one is faced with setting everything up again.

    There's no problem with losing the data (I mean it's all backed up properly) - one can, at worst, put the machine in target disk mode and then copy it off (it's backed up anyway). It's just that it would be nice not to have to go through all that
    Oh yes: if the user account is FileVault protected, all bets are off if you've lost the password and there's no backup password enabled.

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    That's quite odd. I've done this dozens of times with my client's machines. Hmm .. Maybe I'll do a test today. I need to build a test system anyway.
    HI Godfrey - thanks for chipping in. I've been able to reset passwords without problem on lots of occasions as well.
    Turns out there are a few examples of this problem if you search around. It seems (in this case) to have been linked to a Leopard server restarting for an update, and losing all it's users

    At any rate, we seem to have fixed it:

    1. log on as root user
    2. delete offending user - say NO to deleting home folder - this is then renamed to 'Silas Slack deleted' or something like that.
    3. rename user folder back to 'Silas Slack'
    4. create new user called Silas Slack
    5. say YES to using existing folder
    6. wait for 5 minutes while it chunters around with heart in mouth.

    Bingo - everything back to normal (for now at least).

    Why the server lost it's users is a different matter

    so - thank you everyone for chipping in to help - I was hoping that someone had seen this before and knew a good answer, at least this one wasn't too horrid!

    Just this guy you know

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    That's cool.

    Sounds like the system has centralized user authentication ... Mac OS X Server? yeah, that will 'dig a trench in the desert' if the server is corrupted. Backups, backups ..

    Nice fixup. I've only run into a problem like that once, glad you were able to fix it.

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Mac gurus - help on password?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    That's cool.

    Sounds like the system has centralized user authentication ... Mac OS X Server? yeah, that will 'dig a trench in the desert' if the server is corrupted. Backups, backups ..

    Nice fixup. I've only run into a problem like that once, glad you were able to fix it.
    Hi Godfrey
    The server doesn't SEEM to be corrupted . . but it's certainly doing some bonkers permissions stuff as well.

    I think I only have one marketable skill, and that's lateral thinking . . . I yearn for multi-tasking, but I think you have to have a sex change for that!

    Thanks again for your contribution, I was hoping for an 'easy answer', but a bit of calm and sympathetic intervention is just as good!

    Thanks to Bob as well for your contributions - always good to have the links.

    Just this guy you know

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •