The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MacBook Pro, Glossy or Matt screen?

D

ddk

I have a dilemma, I want a 15" MBP but they don't come with the matt screen and for reasons of portability and I don't really want to have to go to the 17"er. My only experience with the glossy screens is my wife's MB which I don't care for and that's why I'm worried about getting something with a glossy screen too. I'd appreciate any input of your experience with these screens.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
David,

IME it's personal preference. I happen to prefer the glossy screen on my 15" MBP, though do all my critical edits on a 30" display with matt surface.

I suspect that if I went to the 17" MBP, I would want the matt screen as well to eliminate extraneous reflections, but so far it has been a virtual non-issue for me in my uses on the 15" MBP.

Finally, there is a matt screen sheet you can put over the glossy MBP glass now, so maybe that is an option to consider? I have no idea how well they work.

D

ddk

David,
IME it's personal preference. I happen to prefer the glossy screen on my 15" MBP, though do all my critical edits on a 30" display with matt surface.
I guess that the screens are still a limiting factor for critical pp on laptops, in this case then it shouldn't really matter which screen. Do you have any issues calibrating the glossy display?

jonoslack

David
Due to office politics I had to give up my lovely 15" unibody mbp and replace it with a 17":ROTFL:. I got the matt screen, and initially I was disappointed that it wasn't that lovely slab of glass.

However, it is MUCH easier to read, the colour is fine, and, to be honest, the extra size (if you have a bag that fits it) is really insignificant, but the extra usb port, the extra screen real estate and the lack of glare is very significant.

the difference in weight is 1.1lb - not nothing, but not much either.

I find the 17" fine for pp - not as good as the big screen at home, but a big improvement over the 15"
I actually liked the glossy screen, but it becomes a real pain somewhere with lots of bright lighting.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I guess that the screens are still a limiting factor for critical pp on laptops, in this case then it shouldn't really matter which screen. Do you have any issues calibrating the glossy display?
Nope, it calibrates beautifully with my i1. Most of the images I post from our workshops are edited from start to finish on that 15" MBP...

D

ddk

David
Due to office politics I had to give up my lovely 15" unibody mbp and replace it with a 17":ROTFL:. I got the matt screen, and initially I was disappointed that it wasn't that lovely slab of glass.

However, it is MUCH easier to read, the colour is fine, and, to be honest, the extra size (if you have a bag that fits it) is really insignificant, but the extra usb port, the extra screen real estate and the lack of glare is very significant.

the difference in weight is 1.1lb - not nothing, but not much either.

I find the 17" fine for pp - not as good as the big screen at home, but a big improvement over the 15"
I actually liked the glossy screen, but it becomes a real pain somewhere with lots of bright lighting.
Thanks Jono, I was thinking about the gear packs that I have to replace, also wondering if the larger packs will become an issue with the airlines.

D

ddk

Nope, it calibrates beautifully with my i1. Most of the images I post from our workshops are edited from start to finish on that 15" MBP...
I can't tell since I usually read this forum on my current PB, which I know that its screen was never designed for critical viewing.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David take a walk over to 5th Ave and get a good look at them, they already changed since i bought. I went 15 inch glossy, more for size than anything

D

ddk

David take a walk over to 5th Ave and get a good look at them, they already changed since i bought. I went 15 inch glossy, more for size than anything
My hesitation is only because of size otherwise I'd get the 17" matt, I think that I should first go to B&H and check out the packs that take the larger MPB.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is an Apple attempt to get photographers to buy the 17 in models.
I already carry too much stuff, so I really wan a 15 inch matt. The glossy screens just annoy me.
-bob

LJL

Bob,
I agree. I did an in-store test of the new 17" MBP with the matte screen against the new gloss screen 17" and 15". It may be a personal thing, but the matte screen looked equal in colors, gamut, brightness, etc., BUT it lacked the annoying glare from the gloss. I was hoping and praying that Apple would "wake up" and put the matte screen back onto the 15", since the 15" is a bit easier to tote around. No deal there. It is looking like Apple is trying to separate the machines in the line....17" is the only really "pro" machine at this time, given its port/connection options. (How is a pro video guy going to do streaming video stuff on the smaller machines that lack the ability to connect several FW800 or eSATA or other combinations that were possible through the EC/34 slot?)

So, if you absolutely have to have the bit smaller size of the 15" for whatever reason, you are stuck with the glossy screen. It is nice, but some of us do find the reflections rather annoying. If you want matte, there is a company that was doing a matte screen job on the 15" for about $200 (w/warranty and shipping). Basically, they remove the glass and replace the bezel with one that is like the older matte screen MBPs. Otherwise, get the 17" and be happy with the bigger matte screen and extra ports and stuff. I started checking, and the 17" will still fit in a lot of packs and stuff like the 15". Not the smaller ones, but many of the others, mainly because the 17" is not really that much bigger (less than an inch each way), but it still is thinner than most 15" screen sized PCs, so things tend to fit. Worth the look and test in a shop if critical.

LJ

D

ddk

Thanks for the screen upgrades gents, this might be the best course of action for me, now i have to find out what they replace it with and how it affects applecare.