The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NVIDIA releases Adobe CS4 CUDA plugins for Macs

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thought this was interesting , need to check it out myself. From Appleinsider

NVIDIA releases Adobe CS4 CUDA plugins for Macs

Owners of more recent Macs with fast video cards were given an extra speed advantage on Monday with a new set of Adobe Creative Suite 4 plugins.

The suite includes four plugins from third parties and centers on Elemental Accelerator 1.2, a video processing add-on. Those using Mac Pros with a Quadro FX 4800 video card can use the general-purpose computing feature of these graphics chipsets to accelerate video encoding for H.264-formatted videos well beyond what would be possible with the processor alone. NVIDIA estimates that the task can run 11 times faster than it would without the plugin.

The others, from Boris FX ,proDAD and Red Giant Software, provide less conspicuous gains but help out other key apps in Adobe's library, including After Effects, Flash and Photoshop.

Such plugins are a rarity for the Mac, which has supported CUDA since last year but has only occasionally been supported by widely available apps. The situation should change with the release of Mac OS X Snow Leopard in September, when the universal OpenCL standard will encourage cross-platform support and let both ATI and NVIDIA cards run the same special code.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/builtforadobepros_plugins.html#

LJL

I wonder if any of them are for my Radeaon 1900 XT.
Evidently, NOT YET. It sounds (based on the write-up in the link from Guy) that these updates are provided by NVIDIA for their higher end GPU cards. The point sounded like this was a bit more difficult task in CUDA, but all of this will become easier in OpenGL which is coming in Snow Leopard, and then NVIDIA and ATI (makers of your Radeon card) will be able to supply the accelerators more easily. At least that is how I understood this.

LJ