The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Converting/Modifying to IR

Don Libby

Singh-Ray states their filter "transmits over 90% of near-infrared light between 700 and 1100 nanometers while blocking virtually all visible and UV light."

The Cokin I've used has work well on the P45+ however due to the overall design of the system it still allows a certain amount of light where with a ring mount directly attached to the lens should stop this.

Time will tell....

Don

Don Libby

Don,

One issue with trying to use an IR pass filter over a conventional DB is most of them already have IR cut filters in place. Meaning, that if you are lucky your back limits everything over 770nm, and the filter only allows over say 720, so anything in the 720nm to 770nm range can be captured... However if the cut filter on the back is 720, then you are basically screwed, since together they block all light...
I also meant to say that I agree ...:D

Don Libby

I had completely forgotten about this little trick till yesterday; the remote control test. The easiest way to test to check if your digital camera is capable of infrared capture by using filters is to point a TV remote at the lens and take a picture. If you see a point of light, you're good to go; all you need is the filter to get started.

There's differences in captures using a filter on a non-converted camera versus a converted one. The converted camera allows for faster shutter speeds at the same time allowing you to use the viewfinder. A non-converted camera with a filter attached requires much longer shutter speeds and the tripod to go along with the lack of speed. Not to mention you can't use the viewfinder with the filter attached. This is where the differences end.

You'll still need to process the image files in much the same way regardless of the camera.

One other item of note is the methodology of taking IR images. While normal "rules" for photography call for the magic or golden hours (periods of sunset and sunrise) these do not apply to IR. The hotter the better so now we're looking at late morning to late afternoon as the foliage and cliff faces soak up the suns heat.

I'll be going to the South Rim later this month where I hope to send a day on Bright Angle Trail shooting both color and IR using a Singh Ray IR filter attached to the P45+.

Oh by the way - the P45+ passed with flying colors on the TV remote test!:thumbs:

Don

Grayhand

I have gone through the same process of thinking about different alternative for IR photo.

I opted for a converted G10 for two reasons:
1: My photo buddy already have one that works like a dream.
2: When out photographing I often carry about 18 kg of equipment in my backpack for 6-10 km. So the additional weight of an converted 1Dsll or D5 was not that interesting.

And a converted camera works just like a normal camera, you dont have to fiddle with filters and black view finders or screens, Its like an ordinary G10, what you se on the screen is what you get.
And the IR10 (the converted G10) and my original G10 works mostly at the same shutter speed in daylight.

So now boring bright days many times gives extra possibilities for photographing.

I bought an G10 on “Gear FS or WTB” on this forum. The seller, MikeC (eminent seller), located in the US, then sent it directly to Life Pixel who converted the camera and sent it to me. It took about two and a half week from the time I bought the camera until I had it in my hand.

The only thing is noise, but that is normal with IR photo.

:lecture:
Regarding the temperature and this kind of IR photo, forget any ideas that you are photographing by thermal radiation from ordinary object at room temperature. They have their thermal radiation maxima around 10 micro meter for 20 celsius. We are using heat radiation from the sun in the “near IR range”. The IR10 is able to show “low” temperature radiation from about 425 celsius, depending on the emission from the surroundings. The noise level of the camera is to high for lover temperature and masks that thermal radiation.
:lecture:

I work professionally with IR thermography and it gives you a very warped sense for camera prices.
If you think DB are expensive, you should buy your self a top model of the IR cameras.
An extra wide angel lens for my SC640 FLIR IR camera costs about 5 000 €.
So my P45 was almost for free...
For those of you who would like to se what “real” IR is about, visit www.flir.com

I have included one handheld photo that is only cropped and gone true Topaz for some adjustment of details and noise. I have not done anything to the colours. Phase One for Raw conversion.
With the camera on a tripod the picture would of course have been sharper. And the focus is on the horizon...

Ray

Last edited:

Don Libby

Grayhand - Thanks for the post and information. That image is what I'm after! Maybe I'll rethink the G10 after all.

What does video taken in IR look like?

Don

Last edited:

Grayhand

Hi Don!

I must admit that I have not tried the video function on either the G10 or IR10 yet :eek:
So that will be a little test for tomorrow!

Is it possible to upload a short video clip here?

Ray

Grayhand

Don, I can upload a IR picture (RAW) and a short IR movie from my "IR10" to a site I use for large files, http://www.filecentral.se
if you are interested in testing for your self.
I use this site a lot for large files.
But I need an email address so you receive info when the files are uploaded.

Ray

Don Libby

Don, I can upload a IR picture (RAW) and a short IR movie from my "IR10" to a site I use for large files, http://www.filecentral.se
if you are interested in testing for your self.
I use this site a lot for large files.
But I need an email address so you receive info when the files are uploaded.

Ray
Sound great Ray - I'd be interested in seeing the files.

email: admin@ironcreekphotography dot com (you get the idea)

Don

Grayhand

Hi Don!

One RAW picture and a short movie from the IR10 is uploaded.
The picture is taken just outside my camper at the sea camping where I am at the moment.
The movie are taken at the same occasion as the picture.
A lot of sun and sea and trees and clouds and...
I do not know how to adjust for the colour cast in the movie.
The picture has focus on a cloud in the center of the picture.
AV mode 5.6 aperture.

Have fun :salute:

Ray

Last edited:

Don Libby

Ray - got the files and looked briefly at them. The video looked better than I had hoped. Just wonder if you can capture video in B&W? Would it look processed?

JimCollum

Ray - got the files and looked briefly at them. The video looked better than I had hoped. Just wonder if you can capture video in B&W? Would it look processed?
i have the D90 converted, and so can get IR video from that as well. Haven't done much except play around with it.. but there's a lot of post you can do (convert to B/W with specific filtration) with Adobe Premium or After Effects.

I've been very happy with the Life Pixel conversion that was done

jim

Grayhand

Jim
Nice photos!

Your examples really shows the weak side of a converted G10, the lack of short depth of field!
And you are some time limited in both ends of zoom range with the G10.
With a converted DSLR you have only the optical limits of the total system.

For me it was the weight factor that in the end favoured the converted G10.

But I really would like a P45 without IR-filter, that gives some possibilities!

Ray

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jim, when you say "white balance straight out of the camera" - did you do a custom white balance or was it a preset (daylight, etc.)?

P.S. Very nice images, as usual!

JimCollum

Jim, when you say "white balance straight out of the camera" - did you do a custom white balance or was it a preset (daylight, etc.)?

P.S. Very nice images, as usual!
LifePixel provides a custom white balance preset when they send the camera back

JimCollum

Jim
Nice photos!

Your examples really shows the weak side of a converted G10, the lack of short depth of field!
And you are some time limited in both ends of zoom range with the G10.
With a converted DSLR you have only the optical limits of the total system.

For me it was the weight factor that in the end favoured the converted G10.

But I really would like a P45 without IR-filter, that gives some possibilities!

Ray
the DOF in these is particularly shallow.. i was using the 24mm TS lens (which, by the way, is one of the sharpest 24mm lenses i've used)

Don Libby

The Singh-Ray I Filter arrived late yesterday so decided to take it out for a test spin this morning around 9 a.m. Single image taken with Cambo WRS1000, P45+, Schneider 120mm lens, custom white balance f/11 at 10 seconds. I opened in C1 did an LCC though I doubt I needed it then played with various settings in C1 style and processing in CS4. As you can tell I'm still learning...

Don