The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Converting/Modifying to IR

Don Libby

After working on this one image off and on all day I've come to the unflattering conclusion that I really screwed up. The major part that's wrong about this images is that the focus is way off. Plus I need to find a test subject that has more foliage in it (good luck with that in the desert).

This isn't saying that everything I've done today is a waste as I have learned a little more about processing this image and false color. I'll leave this with yet one more sample but don't fret as I plan of this being the last one. I have a week before the South Rim trip and plan on testing more prior to the trip if I can get out...

Don

Don Libby

I've been corresponding with Mark Soares of Precision Camera about the possible conversion of the 1DsII. One of the questions pertained to the continued use of the "Lightning Trigger" his reply follows.

The device is essentially designed to trigger the shutter when sudden light variances are detected, but it leaves the metering entirely up to the camera, which is able to cope with the IR modification. I have never used a lightning trigger, nor do I know anyone who has used an IR camera to capture lightning (though I often imagined it would be able to create some stunning images under those conditions), so I can only speculate as to how that combination will work.
The 665nm filter would have been my recommendation for you (even though I often recommend the 715nm) because it allows for some visible light to pass through the filter. This should allow the camera to capture lightning better since it usually involves low light shooting.
Lightning does encompass the Infrared Spectrum so it should show up in the pictures fine with the 665nm filtration.
I'm getting closer and closer...

Don

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don:

I'm actually considering modifying a 1Ds2 now instead of the 5D -- mainly because I can't find a real "deal" on a 5D! But I also prefer the UI of the 1 bodies. When I do it, I will be doing the 665. (I think I mentioned it incorrectly as a 680 in an earlier post.)

Don Libby

Good to hear I'm not the only one about to do this. Since Precision Camera requires the primary lens be sent as well as the body I contacted Chris Lawrey at Capture Integration to see about a 24-70 and ended up ordering a 24-105 lens. While I won't be able to have the camera converted in time for Monument Valley I'll still have it for Yosemite in October and the winter trip back to the South Rim in December.

Jack - I think you're better off getting a deal on either a 1Ds or 1DsII than looking for the elusive 5D.

Like I said getting closer ..

Don

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I had Life Pixel modify my Canon 20D (Enhanced Color). Just got it back tonight and took a few shots out my window. It was about 7:00-7:30PM. I hope to spend some time with it tomorrow. Here is one with the Olympus 21mm/3.5 handheld out the window.

cmb_

I need to spend some time with it now. I have some Zeiss and Oly lenses (as well as a few Canon and a load of Leica R) so I need to see what I can do with it. Also need to spend some hours/days with the processing. After staring at DMR and M8 files I think I better pixel-peep the 20D files WITHOUT my glasses on!

Jim, I think I may be heading to the (-) side of the saturation slider.

JimCollum

I need to spend some time with it now. I have some Zeiss and Oly lenses (as well as a few Canon and a load of Leica R) so I need to see what I can do with it. Also need to spend some hours/days with the processing. After staring at DMR and M8 files I think I better pixel-peep the 20D files WITHOUT my glasses on!

Jim, I think I may be heading to the (-) side of the saturation slider.
... and another one falls to the Dark side :D

cmb_

Don - sorry to hijack the thread, hope you don't mind, but here are a few more images. And thanks for the push to get me to convert my camera by starting this thread.

First one with the Oly 21, second with Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm, last two with Zeiss S-Planar 60mm macro.

Don Libby

I'm close to where I want to be however just haven't found the right key for processing. 1DsII 24-70 lens and Singh Ray I filter. The camera goes to the clinic just as soon as I get the 24-105.

Don

Last edited:

Don Libby

Don - about what time of day was that shot?
Please don't worry about hijacking the thread as I like where we've progressed - sharing IR images! Or in my case want a be IR...

Just checked the image today was shot at 545PM. I've got one from 2 pm that I'll post in the morning.

Don

cmb_

Don, I like the tones in the second image. Now I am wondering if it is better to have a dedicated IR camera or to use filters with my regular cameram - most likely the answer is to do both.

Don Libby

Don, I like the tones in the second image. Now I am wondering if it is better to have a dedicated IR camera or to use filters with my regular cameram - most likely the answer is to do both.
I'm close to where i want to be with PP however I just don't feel I'm there yet. The downside for me right now is that I'm shooting between 10 and 30 seconds and that can cause havoc with clouds. It's a good thing I'm used to shooting with my WRS-1000 and not depending on a viewfinder; I'm shooting much the same with the filter attached as I do with my MF. From what I've read I'll be able to not only use the viewfinder but be able to shoot at somewhat normal speeds once the body is converted. I'm also using a custom WB and find if I open first in C1 and process there I get closer to what I want, nevertheless I'd like to get closer to what I've seen coming from you. Hope that makes sense...

Don

Terry

My IR modified camera came back from precision camera today. Very fast. It was just a bit more than a week turnaround time. I didn't really have an extra dslr hanging around so I started with a little Canon P&S camera that I had lying around. The nice thing this one takes AA batteries so no worries out into the future. It also has is an articulated LCD which is also nice to have. I went for the enhanced color conversion (665nm). Now I need to read up on processing....but first I need to concentrate on my Iceland shots.

Don Libby

Hi Terry glad to see you back and had a safe trip. Please post a couple shot with the P&S so we can see. I decided on the 665nm as well, all I'm lacking is a lens which should be coming anytime.

Don

ps how do you think the IR P&S would have worked for you in Iceland? Think you would have used it? Better yet would it have made it gear cut to bring along?