The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Converting/Modifying to IR

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Terry, yes, first the Iceland images then the IR! Looking forward to it.

Don, the speeds I am getting are pretty much normal. I only shot twice with it, once just out the window (couldn't wait LOL) and once I went for a quick walk in the park.

An experiment below which could prove interesting for me (I didn't really nail the focus but I am interested in the potential).

Terry

Hi Terry glad to see you back and had a safe trip. Please post a couple shot with the P&S so we can see. I decided on the 665nm as well, all I'm lacking is a lens which should be coming anytime.

Don

ps how do you think the IR P&S would have worked for you in Iceland? Think you would have used it? Better yet would it have made it gear cut to bring along?
I don't have enough IR experience yet to think "would this be a good IR shot". A lot of what I "saw" in Iceland was the layers of texture and color. If anything I'm trying to bring out the colors with some increased saturation so I don't know that it is the camera of choice for there for right now. I think there is so much to learn about their landscape and how to capture the essence that it would have been too confusing.
However, the camera is small enough that I think it will just be an "automatic" for a trip bag.

Will post a couple of shots over the weekend.

Don Libby

cmb - great bug! I think the thing about IR photography is thinking outside the box and experimenting with different things.

Terry - See above comment regarding "I don't have enough IR experience yet". I think the basics of composition will still apply with the only difference being how the image turns out. Then again you might expand and try shooting different subjects.

I'm looking forward to adding IR to my landscape. I can see doing an entire shoot here in IR color. Okay gotta run and check out of the hotel and start heading ome.

Don

cmb_

A few more experiments with the IR 20D. Not sure where I am heading but I am enjoying this!

Terry

Extremely windy here so the plant life is essentially impossible to test right now (except my indoor basil plant). However here is my standard test scene. First up straight from the camera, second is simple cnvert to greyscale with no other changes. I'm not sure if they did anything to the camera for focus but the zoom doesn't seem all that smooth.

Don Libby

Thanks for sharing Terry - I think I like the before better but then I'm a little bit funky that way...

Don Libby

Decided to try a different approach to possessing these images. So far I've used CS4 ACR to open and process, C1 then ARC and CS4 and today I went to Cannon Digital Photo Professional then ACR and CS4 to process and I think I like this way much better. Of course I'm hoping that once I get the camera converted I'll have an easier time in PP.

These were all taken with the 1DsII, 24-70 and between 10 and 30 seconds.

The first is an overlook by Cedar Mountain the second is from the Navajo Point overlook.

cmb_

Nice to see you got the camera back Terry - and I do luv your standard test scene!

Don - some nice stuff in that first image. I like the dark sky.

Don Libby

Returned from the last trip this past Sunday and sent the 1DsII and 24-105 to Precision Camera for the conversion. Looks like I should have the kit back in my hot hands by the end of next week and will post comments shortly afterwards.

Looking forward to being able to shoot more naturally without using the lens filter and long exposure times.

Don

eleanorbrown

Shot recently with a Canon 5D II modified by Life Pixel to the standard IR filter at 720 nm. Eleanor

Last edited:
V

Vivek

CMB, Thanks.

I think the false color aspect of the IR is worthwhile exploring (besides B&W or monochrome). Two very different scenarios/shots.

cmb_

CMB, Thanks.

I think the false color aspect of the IR is worthwhile exploring (besides B&W or monochrome). Two very different scenarios/shots.
WOW Vivek, you got that right and very well demonstrated!!!