Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Converting/Modifying to IR

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Converting/Modifying to IR

I seem to have hijacked Jack's search for a 5D to convert to IR. We've gotten into a good conversation regarding the merits of IR, conversion of cameras, and more than likely soon be heading to the post processing stage. Jack has been patient with me on this however I feel the need to move the discussion here if anything to stop the hijack and maybe add more to the general discussion.

To bring everyone somewhat up to date, Jack is looking to convert a 5D if he can find a used one at a reasonable price. I on the other hand am debating converting either a G10 or a spare 1Ds II that has been collecting dust since my entrance into the medium format underworld.

I'll add more later on but right now this has to be it as my laptop batteries are running low.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Converting/Modifying to IR

Don, I've seen G9's converted and they work lovely. I tried some IR with mine--very slow shutter speeds (slower than most of my DLSRs except my old D60 which didn't work well for IR at all), but converted--nice. I converted an old 10D and enjoy it--but often forget to put the body in when I anticipate being places that would work well for IR. I was pretty fascinated by the shots in the Moab thread too--lighting wise.

Diane

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe I will copy and paste some of those post made already
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack

In your research what did you find if anything about converting a 1Ds II? I've got one sitting in a closet collecting dust that I only use for lightning. Now Sandy tells me I can use her 1DsIII so that opens up the Mark II. Do I combine the two cameras for a greater spread of lightning or do I convert to IR.

Don't want to sell it so that's not a real option.

Don

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iron Creek
    Do I combine the two cameras for a greater spread of lightning or do I convert to IR.

Don, tough call. The mkII is still 16MP and is no slouch even by today's 20+mp standards, is also a weather-proofed camera, so I'd be tempted to keep it visible light for lightning spread and back-up in that environment.

By definition, most IR captures are softer than visible light, so frankly total pixel count becomes less of a concern to me. I wanted full-frame IR and I have Canon mount lenses, so that left the 5D or 1Ds mkI as my first choices for conversion -- and the 5D is cheaper and lighter in weight to slog around in the bag, though if a deal on a 1Ds1 came along, I'd sure look at it.

The other side of that coin is lightning captures might be very cool combined with IR backgrounds -- have no idea, but it's a thought worth considering -- and would certainly work for monochrome lightning images...

To answer you first question, I did not specifically explore 1 series conversions, but am pretty sure precision camera charges the same price for the conversion of all full-frame cameras, while Life-Pixel and MaxMax charge more for the 1 series.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack Flesher
    The other side of that coin is lightning captures might be very cool combined with IR backgrounds -- have no idea, but it's a thought worth considering -- and would certainly work for monochrome lightning images...

You get the best IR effects when there's a lot of light available, natural or artificial, not much going on in its absence. There wont be any noticeable difference shooting dark skies with an IR converted or standard camera, specially in monochrome without lighting up the environment.

www.pbase.com/ddk
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had originally thought of going to Maxmax for a conversion until I found Precision. Maxmax charges $450 for DSLR camera conversion and it looks like will convert either a G9 or G10. Precision on the other hand charges $299 for DSLR and $129 for the G.

I've run hot and cold over whether I should go with a DSLR or P&S and currently leaning towards the 1DsII.

I was going to say something about lightning in IR until I read David's response which does make sense. Of course I can see a static shot where one image is captured during the day and the other with lightning then combining the two.

Any idea of the turn around time for Precision?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack Flesher
    Actually David, this isn't quite true. On our workshops we demonstrate just how much IR is available about an hour before or after sunrise due to residual heat energy.

There is light during that period, the sky isn't dark yet.

www.pbase.com/ddk

David see post #114 on this thread. There are more shots later some of which go a little over the top IMHO....

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...orkshop&page=6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddk
    There is light during that period, the sky isn't dark yet.

Jack: Yes there is still some light, but you said,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddk
    You get the best IR effects when there's a lot of light available, natural or artificial
    There certainly isn't a LOT of light an hour before sunrise or after sunset.

Jack: If you go to the link Terry posted above, you can see the effect. Also, if you ask Jim Collum about his IR images, many are done in the pre-dawn and post-dusk hour...

This discussion has really gotten me thinking about a conversion. Now which will it be - the 1Ds II gives me a choice of lenses although I'd more than likely stick with the 24-70 or do I convert a G10 for the fun factor as well as movies?

Jack -which camera did you use on those Moab images?

Terry - thank you for posting the link as I had completely forgotten about the images.

Don

Of course this isn't helping you find that 5D

Don: The Moab shots were done with a 720nm filter over the lens of my M8. The M8's leak enough IR to make images, so being able to mount a filter on the lens and still see through the RF viewfinder, make them viable to use either way

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay did the best I could you folks can fill in more

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay did the best I could you folks can fill in more
    Thanks Guy - I think this fits better here..

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Don, I've seen G9's converted and they work lovely. I tried some IR with mine--very slow shutter speeds (slower than most of my DLSRs except my old D60 which didn't work well for IR at all), but converted--nice. I converted an old 10D and enjoy it--but often forget to put the body in when I anticipate being places that would work well for IR. I was pretty fascinated by the shots in the Moab thread too--lighting wise.

Diane
    Hi Dianne - thanks for the added thoughts.

I've always focused first when using a DSLR before adding the filter however I don't have to do that with the Cambo. I also found I was always shooting at slower shutter speeds with the filter (similar to shooting lightning).

Looking at the examples on Maxmax and Precision is appears that you can shoot at high speed to the point of being able to handhold which is interesting in itself.

Just what I need, more gear to lug around...

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    Hi Dianne - thanks for the added thoughts.

I've always focused first when using a DSLR before adding the filter however I don't have to do that with the Cambo. I also found I was always shooting at slower shutter speeds with the filter (similar to shooting lightning).

Looking at the examples on Maxmax and Precision is appears that you can shoot at high speed to the point of being able to handhold which is interesting in itself.

Just what I need, more gear to lug around...

Don
    I haven't seen Precision's, but have seen Maxmax and Lifepixels. I can easily handhold my 10DIR--use it pretty much like I would normally shoot with it. With the G10 I would assume, like the G1, that you would see the exposure with the filter, whereas the 10D-5D, etc. once converted, you use the VF normally and so have to experiment at first. I tend to shoot in M with it. The new DSLRs with liveview might be even easier--or at least a wee bit faster, but once you work out settings for the IR converted ones without liveview, its not really an issue.

Yep--you need more gear LOL. That's why I tend to forget my 10DIR--I already have 5D kit and G1 kit--but to add just the G10 would not be much for you *smile*. I'm actually starting to carry a Hoya R72 with the G1 but haven't used it yet. Just stick it in folder with NDs, polarizer and step rings. Beautiful sky out--maybe I'll try it out this afternoon as oppsed to the dedicated IR.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post

Yep--you need more gear LOL. That's why I tend to forget my 10DIR--I already have 5D kit and G1 kit--but to add just the G10 would not be much for you *smile*. I'm actually starting to carry a Hoya R72 with the G1 but haven't used it yet. Just stick it in folder with NDs, polarizer and step rings. Beautiful sky out--maybe I'll try it out this afternoon as oppsed to the dedicated IR.

Diane
    Which is why I would do it with a compact that I have lying around (d-lux3) or Fuji F20. I'm also not selling prints.

Diane - I think Vivek has posted that you get no IR response from the G1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Which is why I would do it with a compact that I have lying around (d-lux3) or Fuji F20. I'm also not selling prints.

Diane - I think Vivek has posted that you get no IR response from the G1
    Well, I've had no trouble shooting IR with the G1. They are long shutter times, but still not an issue. I dragged the 5D (couldn't find the Hoya for it anywhere--it will turn up somewhere so had to use the much less good Cokin 89B which let some light in, isn't dark enough--yada, yada--so the 5D didn't perform well at all), the G1 with the Hoya R72 and my 10DIR. It was calibrated with a 50 as I recall (Lifepixel) and doesn't 'like' WAZ--not my 12-24, 15-39, 17-35--but loves my Sigma 15 f/2.8 FE--and does very well with the old EF 28-135 IS. Go figure!. I expect I could work out the focus with the WAZ, but with the FE (which is not very 'fishy' on a 1.6x body) and the 28-135, that's plenty to carry for IR. As I recall, all my primes are fine with it also (28, 50, 85, 135).

Just did a quick export from LR--only capture sharpening and mon processing in LR

This is G1--14-45, 14mm, f/7.1 4 sec. ISO100 (believe I could have shot with faster shutter increasing ISO and open up a bit more)

This is converted 10D--both handheld (and I notice I got a Thalia leaf in the right side which I missed)
    28-135IS at 28mm f/8.0 1/125 ISO 100

10D with 15 f/2.8 FE f/8.0 1/160s ISO 100

Notice that the G1 with Hoya didn't pick up any of the highlight on the pool. I can drag it out a bit by playing with it more in PS, but its not naturally there--though it is in color shot. I might be able to work with that by using AEL, etc. while shooting--not sure.

I just realized that my Hoya will fit my EF 28 f/1.8 for the 5D so will try that just for comparison. Of course processing can make a huge difference with these with more time spent--these were relatively quickies.

Later in the day obviously 5D with 28 f/1.8 f/10.0 5 sec ISO800 Hoya R72 no focus corrections.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 30th June 2009 at 14:41. Reason: additional image

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Diane, thanks for the sample images. The thing I like about IR is that the blue skies go black while the clouds get whiter along with what it does with the foliage. More food for thought.

Don

I have just about completely made up my mind against either a G9 or 10 but still like the "fun" capability they would offer. How's that for a mixed message?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

what about an ir forum? i'd really like one!

these taken with the canon 5d converted and 70-200 4.0L lens.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp
    Last edited by smokysun; 29th July 2009 at 20:00.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are makes it very hard on me! I'm busy with a project yet want to jump and get a body converted - G10 or 1Ds II? This hour it's the 1Ds II.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

i'd certainly go for the 1ds II. you'd be in a class by yourself.

a few more examples.
    Last edited by smokysun; 29th July 2009 at 20:00.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    i'd certainly go for the 1ds II. you'd be in a class by yourself.

a few more examples.
    I'd say LOL!!!!. Here I am with a lowly old 10D. Nonetheless, it still works fine and even a 6MP is fine for prints I would make from IR files, but gosh, 5D or the 1DsII--they'd be something ('course, if I could either find my larger R72 or buy a new one and be willing to carry a tripod, I can shoot 5D also). I need to get the 10IR out and utilize it more--shot quite a bit in the beginning--then got lazy and didn't want to carry multiple bodies again.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One of the advantages I see to using a newer DSLR body is the added DR over the earlier versions. Here the 1Ds2 would be king... And I'd be jealous as heck with my 'lowly' 5D conversion
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    One of the advantages I see to using a newer DSLR body is the added DR over the earlier versions. Here the 1Ds2 would be king... And I'd be jealous as heck with my 'lowly' 5D conversion
    I've just about have myself convinced to go with the 1Ds II. I put that body away shortly after getting my P30+ and now only take it out for lightning and the rare wildlife photo. I'm in good shape as Sandy shoots with a 1Ds III so I can always borrow hers if needed.

I'm almost done with a project and hopefully will call Precision by weeks end. The good thing which is also a potential bad thing is it looks like they require the lens you plan to shoot with. Not sure if Sandy is willing to let go of a lens.

Gee Jack - I'm sitting here racking my brain on a proper response to your potential jealously! Maybe we can bring the two together for a shootout.

I do want and plan on taking a workshop if nothing else to make you feel short so that's be a good time for the shootout.

Stay tuned!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've decided to table my plans for conversion for awhile. I get this bug at least once every 12 months so I'll be back at it soon enough. In the meantime however I went to Singh Ray and pickup up a better (I hope) IR filter that I hope to have for my Grand Canyon trip in 3 weeks. I also hope to have examples from that trip to share.

The IR spark is still there I just need to rethink priorities.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don,

One issue with trying to use an IR pass filter over a conventional DB is most of them already have IR cut filters in place. Meaning, that if you are lucky your back limits everything over 770nm, and the filter only allows over say 720, so anything in the 720nm to 770nm range can be captured... However if the cut filter on the back is 720, then you are basically screwed, since together they block all light...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Singh-Ray states their filter "transmits over 90% of near-infrared light between 700 and 1100 nanometers while blocking virtually all visible and UV light."

The Cokin I've used has work well on the P45+ however due to the overall design of the system it still allows a certain amount of light where with a ring mount directly attached to the lens should stop this.

Time will tell....

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Don,

One issue with trying to use an IR pass filter over a conventional DB is most of them already have IR cut filters in place. Meaning, that if you are lucky your back limits everything over 770nm, and the filter only allows over say 720, so anything in the 720nm to 770nm range can be captured... However if the cut filter on the back is 720, then you are basically screwed, since together they block all light...
    I also meant to say that I agree ...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I had completely forgotten about this little trick till yesterday; the remote control test. The easiest way to test to check if your digital camera is capable of infrared capture by using filters is to point a TV remote at the lens and take a picture. If you see a point of light, you're good to go; all you need is the filter to get started.

There's differences in captures using a filter on a non-converted camera versus a converted one. The converted camera allows for faster shutter speeds at the same time allowing you to use the viewfinder. A non-converted camera with a filter attached requires much longer shutter speeds and the tripod to go along with the lack of speed. Not to mention you can't use the viewfinder with the filter attached. This is where the differences end.

You'll still need to process the image files in much the same way regardless of the camera.

One other item of note is the methodology of taking IR images. While normal "rules" for photography call for the magic or golden hours (periods of sunset and sunrise) these do not apply to IR. The hotter the better so now we're looking at late morning to late afternoon as the foliage and cliff faces soak up the suns heat.

I'll be going to the South Rim later this month where I hope to send a day on Bright Angle Trail shooting both color and IR using a Singh Ray IR filter attached to the P45+.

Oh by the way - the P45+ passed with flying colors on the TV remote test!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone through the same process of thinking about different alternative for IR photo.

I opted for a converted G10 for two reasons:
    1: My photo buddy already have one that works like a dream.
    2: When out photographing I often carry about 18 kg of equipment in my backpack for 6-10 km. So the additional weight of an converted 1Dsll or D5 was not that interesting.

And a converted camera works just like a normal camera, you dont have to fiddle with filters and black view finders or screens, Its like an ordinary G10, what you se on the screen is what you get.
    And the IR10 (the converted G10) and my original G10 works mostly at the same shutter speed in daylight.

So now boring bright days many times gives extra possibilities for photographing.

I bought an G10 on “Gear FS or WTB” on this forum. The seller, MikeC (eminent seller), located in the US, then sent it directly to Life Pixel who converted the camera and sent it to me. It took about two and a half week from the time I bought the camera until I had it in my hand.

The only thing is noise, but that is normal with IR photo.

Regarding the temperature and this kind of IR photo, forget any ideas that you are photographing by thermal radiation from ordinary object at room temperature. They have their thermal radiation maxima around 10 micro meter for 20 celsius. We are using heat radiation from the sun in the “near IR range”. The IR10 is able to show “low” temperature radiation from about 425 celsius, depending on the emission from the surroundings. The noise level of the camera is to high for lover temperature and masks that thermal radiation.

I work professionally with IR thermography and it gives you a very warped sense for camera prices.
    If you think DB are expensive, you should buy your self a top model of the IR cameras.
    An extra wide angel lens for my SC640 FLIR IR camera costs about 5 000 €.
    So my P45 was almost for free...
    For those of you who would like to se what “real” IR is about, visit www.flir.com

I have included one handheld photo that is only cropped and gone true Topaz for some adjustment of details and noise. I have not done anything to the colours. Phase One for Raw conversion.
    With the camera on a tripod the picture would of course have been sharper. And the focus is on the horizon...

Ray
    Last edited by Grayhand; 4th April 2013 at 13:25.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Grayhand - Thanks for the post and information. That image is what I'm after! Maybe I'll rethink the G10 after all.

What does video taken in IR look like?

Don
    Last edited by Don Libby; 9th July 2009 at 10:07. Reason: typo
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Don!

I must admit that I have not tried the video function on either the G10 or IR10 yet
    So that will be a little test for tomorrow!

Is it possible to upload a short video clip here?

Ray

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhand View Post
    Hi Don!

I must admit that I have not tried the video function on either the G10 or IR10 yet
    So that will be a little test for tomorrow!

Is it possible to upload a short video clip here?

Ray
    Don't think we support video ...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Don, I can upload a IR picture (RAW) and a short IR movie from my "IR10" to a site I use for large files, http://www.filecentral.se
    if you are interested in testing for your self.
    I use this site a lot for large files.
    But I need an email address so you receive info when the files are uploaded.

Ray

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Don, I can upload a IR picture (RAW) and a short IR movie from my "IR10" to a site I use for large files, http://www.filecentral.se
    if you are interested in testing for your self.
    I use this site a lot for large files.
    But I need an email address so you receive info when the files are uploaded.

Ray
    Sound great Ray - I'd be interested in seeing the files.

email: [email protected] dot com (you get the idea)

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Don!

One RAW picture and a short movie from the IR10 is uploaded.
    The picture is taken just outside my camper at the sea camping where I am at the moment.
    The movie are taken at the same occasion as the picture.
    A lot of sun and sea and trees and clouds and...
    I do not know how to adjust for the colour cast in the movie.
    The picture has focus on a cloud in the center of the picture.
    AV mode 5.6 aperture.

Have fun

Ray
    Last edited by Grayhand; 4th April 2013 at 13:44.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ray - got the files and looked briefly at them. The video looked better than I had hoped. Just wonder if you can capture video in B&W? Would it look processed?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    Ray - got the files and looked briefly at them. The video looked better than I had hoped. Just wonder if you can capture video in B&W? Would it look processed?
    i have the D90 converted, and so can get IR video from that as well. Haven't done much except play around with it.. but there's a lot of post you can do (convert to B/W with specific filtration) with Adobe Premium or After Effects.

I've been very happy with the Life Pixel conversion that was done

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

some test shots with the IR D90 and a certain 24mm lens (white balance straight out of the camera)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

.. and a couple converted to b/w

Post Thanks / Like

Jim
    Nice photos!

Your examples really shows the weak side of a converted G10, the lack of short depth of field!
    And you are some time limited in both ends of zoom range with the G10.
    With a converted DSLR you have only the optical limits of the total system.

For me it was the weight factor that in the end favoured the converted G10.

But I really would like a P45 without IR-filter, that gives some possibilities!

Ray

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, when you say "white balance straight out of the camera" - did you do a custom white balance or was it a preset (daylight, etc.)?

P.S. Very nice images, as usual!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Jim, when you say "white balance straight out of the camera" - did you do a custom white balance or was it a preset (daylight, etc.)?

P.S. Very nice images, as usual!
    LifePixel provides a custom white balance preset when they send the camera back

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim
    Nice photos!

Your examples really shows the weak side of a converted G10, the lack of short depth of field!
    And you are some time limited in both ends of zoom range with the G10.
    With a converted DSLR you have only the optical limits of the total system.

For me it was the weight factor that in the end favoured the converted G10.

But I really would like a P45 without IR-filter, that gives some possibilities!

Ray
    the DOF in these is particularly shallow.. i was using the 24mm TS lens (which, by the way, is one of the sharpest 24mm lenses i've used)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Singh-Ray I Filter arrived late yesterday so decided to take it out for a test spin this morning around 9 a.m. Single image taken with Cambo WRS1000, P45+, Schneider 120mm lens, custom white balance f/11 at 10 seconds. I opened in C1 did an LCC though I doubt I needed it then played with various settings in C1 style and processing in CS4. As you can tell I'm still learning...

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

More...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

After working on this one image off and on all day I've come to the unflattering conclusion that I really screwed up. The major part that's wrong about this images is that the focus is way off. Plus I need to find a test subject that has more foliage in it (good luck with that in the desert).

This isn't saying that everything I've done today is a waste as I have learned a little more about processing this image and false color. I'll leave this with yet one more sample but don't fret as I plan of this being the last one. I have a week before the South Rim trip and plan on testing more prior to the trip if I can get out...

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've been corresponding with Mark Soares of Precision Camera about the possible conversion of the 1DsII. One of the questions pertained to the continued use of the "Lightning Trigger" his reply follows.

The device is essentially designed to trigger the shutter when sudden light variances are detected, but it leaves the metering entirely up to the camera, which is able to cope with the IR modification. I have never used a lightning trigger, nor do I know anyone who has used an IR camera to capture lightning (though I often imagined it would be able to create some stunning images under those conditions), so I can only speculate as to how that combination will work.
    The 665nm filter would have been my recommendation for you (even though I often recommend the 715nm) because it allows for some visible light to pass through the filter. This should allow the camera to capture lightning better since it usually involves low light shooting.
    Lightning does encompass the Infrared Spectrum so it should show up in the pictures fine with the 665nm filtration.
    I'm getting closer and closer...

Don
    Last edited by Don Libby; 22nd July 2009 at 07:15. Reason: Attempted to fix formating errors
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don:

I'm actually considering modifying a 1Ds2 now instead of the 5D -- mainly because I can't find a real "deal" on a 5D! But I also prefer the UI of the 1 bodies. When I do it, I will be doing the 665. (I think I mentioned it incorrectly as a 680 in an earlier post.)
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear I'm not the only one about to do this. Since Precision Camera requires the primary lens be sent as well as the body I contacted Chris Lawrey at Capture Integration to see about a 24-70 and ended up ordering a 24-105 lens. While I won't be able to have the camera converted in time for Monument Valley I'll still have it for Yosemite in October and the winter trip back to the South Rim in December.

Jack - I think you're better off getting a deal on either a 1Ds or 1DsII than looking for the elusive 5D.

Like I said getting closer ..

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had Life Pixel modify my Canon 20D (Enhanced Color). Just got it back tonight and took a few shots out my window. It was about 7:00-7:30PM. I hope to spend some time with it tomorrow. Here is one with the Olympus 21mm/3.5 handheld out the window.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

VERY nice Charlie! I really like the enhanced color mods.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

congrats! i've been very happy with the D90 IR mod (also the enhanced)

(... and very nice image)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! All I need is the news lens and a couple weeks free then the 1DsII goes in...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need to spend some time with it now. I have some Zeiss and Oly lenses (as well as a few Canon and a load of Leica R) so I need to see what I can do with it. Also need to spend some hours/days with the processing. After staring at DMR and M8 files I think I better pixel-peep the 20D files WITHOUT my glasses on!

Jim, I think I may be heading to the (-) side of the saturation slider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    I need to spend some time with it now. I have some Zeiss and Oly lenses (as well as a few Canon and a load of Leica R) so I need to see what I can do with it. Also need to spend some hours/days with the processing. After staring at DMR and M8 files I think I better pixel-peep the 20D files WITHOUT my glasses on!

Jim, I think I may be heading to the (-) side of the saturation slider.
    ... and another one falls to the Dark side