The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Drobo Help

cjlacz

Crossing Fingers Guy!

Charles, If memory serves OSX does not support iSCSI so this might be only an option for MS users.

P.S. Just found it on Drobo's site:
Ah, thanks for that information. I knew iSCSI could be used on OSX, but I didn't realize you needed to use a 3rd party app to get it. I hope they fix that with snow leopard.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
You're welcome.

Not sure about that, I have not read the pre specs of snow leo yet.

Ah, thanks for that information. I knew iSCSI could be used on OSX, but I didn't realize you needed to use a 3rd party app to get it. I hope they fix that with snow leopard.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay my 2TB drive showed up put the Drobo in standby until all lights out. Swapped the 500gb drive for the 2TB drive than rebooted computer took a little bit to get the Drobo back on line and now looks like 28 hours to complete the backup task. Pretty darn interesting this whole backup setup.

Don Libby

Okay I've just spent the better part of 1/2 hour visiting the Drobo website reading and viewing the nifty videos and admit I'm impressed. I remember seeing the original Drobo at a tradeshow in Las Vegas as part of NAAP back when it only supported USB.

I've read all the FAQ's and nowhere could I find this - Do they support 64bit? I feel confident the system will work however I'd like to be able to run the dashboard and read on B&H that it might not be supported.

I've sent an email to sales however hard telling how long it'll take to hear from them. So I pose the same question here knowing that Guy and Jack are running on Mac's. Anyone here with direct PC experience?

Don

O

Oxide Blu

I did ask about pulling the 500gb drive when the new 2TB drive comes next week. No problem just put in standby and switch them out and it should do what is going on now and get all stable again.
When you swap the 500GB for the 2T drive, do you have to prep the 2T drive (format) or just pop it in and Drobo takes care of everything?

Guy Mancuso

Pretty interesting the Drobo formatted it. I just popped it in. Thought about the same thing. BTW I am all green and running. So interesting stat here. I have a total of 5tb in the box . Here is the breakdown. Storage capacity 2.69 TB total, 1.40 used up with data , Free space 1.29.

Guy Mancuso

Now as I go forward I will just add 3 more 2 TB drives one by one until I run out of space and by than we may see 4tb drives and start over with them. So a lot of room to grow. Plus worst case you can just add a second Drobo or go Drobo Pro with 8 drives. Pretty slick. Nice part is it is you do very little.

The one issue I have and this has nothing to do with Drobo is about 8 old IDE drives that have very old data just sitting in a cabinet when I had a PC. Someday I may want to capture that on one unit like the Drobo. Going to be a Royal PITA

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Guy,

in terms of file management.... do you access data browser based? - How do you manage multiple computers? Just have a folder structure comp1, comp2, comp3 etc. and from there on drobo knows where to backup?

Drobo Pro has a pretty steep price here, buys something like five normal drobos.

I am confused about their ethernet option drobo share. You are not getting 1Gb speed at the end, right?

Eight drives from PC, hmmm, here is where Lightroom might come in handy as well. But I think you are using C1 exclusively right? How about a docking station Voyager or something and take two at a time, transferring over to your drobo, or would that exceed your space?

D

ddk

Guy,

in terms of file management.... do you access data browser based? - How do you manage multiple computers? Just have a folder structure comp1, comp2, comp3 etc. and from there on drobo knows where to backup?
I'm not really clear what your question is exactly, but the drobo mounts on your desktop like any other external drive. You can connect it to it with its own software called drobo dashboard, how you set up your file structure is entirely up to you. Drobo doesn't come with backup software, you need to use your own and set it up according to your needs.

Drobo Pro has a pretty steep price here, buys something like five normal drobos.

I am confused about their ethernet option drobo share. You are not getting 1Gb speed at the end, right?
Definitely not, and even if you were with "drobo share" you'd lose all benefit since it connects with USB to the dorobo unit, and then there the slow write times...IMO Drobo's are for backup and not working off of.

Last edited:
D

ddk

Understood, just checked out that dashboard thingy. Thanks
One more thing that you should be aware of Georg, since you mentioned price is that drobo has an annual service fee, otherwise you'll be locked out from future firmware upgrades and bug repairs, unless you pay of course and there's a penalty for being late with your payment.

Guy Mancuso

Hmmm David I did not know about any fee's . Never was mentioned when registering.

Anyway mine is connected Firewire 800 and than I made three folders inside to separate visually my data. It just acts like a big drive. When I need something I will download to the desktop and work from there. It's actually not too slow but as David said treat it as a backup