The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Drobo on a 64bit PC

Don Libby

I posted this on Guy's original post for help and think it may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Okay I've just spent the better part of 1/2 hour visiting the Drobo website reading and viewing the nifty videos and admit I'm impressed. I remember seeing the original Drobo at a tradeshow in Las Vegas as part of NAAP back when it only supported USB.

I've read all the FAQ's and nowhere could I find this - Do they support 64bit? I feel confident the system will work however I'd like to be able to run the dashboard and read on B&H that it might not be supported.

I've sent an email to sales however hard telling how long it'll take to hear from them. So I pose the same question here knowing that Guy and Jack are running on Mac's. Anyone here with direct PC experience?

Don
I've read more on the subject and it appears they do in fact support 64bit machines however I'm still not certain about their dashboard supported by 64bit.

Is there anyone out there that is running a Drobo on a 64bit (Vista Ultimate 64) environment?

Thanks

Don

I'm all set to order from B&H once they reopen but want to wait till I get this answer either here or from Drobo support.

Don Libby

Re: Drobo on a 64bit PC UPDATE!

Ordered the Drobo last Sunday and it as delivered here this afternoon. So far so good. I installed the four 500GB drives I took from my very old Buffalo TeraStation and installed them. I installed the dashboard, formatted the drives, selected a drive letter and started transferring data.

I'm running on USB till I can properly figure out a way to connect the 800 firewire to my 400. I thought I had a conversion however it didn't appear to work - I'll retry again tomorrow. If not I'll see about a 600 to 400 cable.

All lights are green and I'm a happy camper for the time being..

Oh almost forgot - running a PC with Vista Ultimate 64, 24 GB RAM, 4 internal drive totaling slightly over 1.8 TB as well as an 1TB external in addition to the Drobo.

Everything appears to be behaving and playing well with each other.

Don

etrigan63

Hey Don,
I just saw this post and could have told you that the Drobo Dashboard IS 64-bit compatible. I run two of the largest 64-bit support sites on the net so if you have any more 64-bit questions let me know.

S

Sasott

Hi Dave - thanks - think I might have found something Handy Backup - looks like it will do everything that I want it to.
Drobo does seem to be good - wont know how good until a drive fails - keeping multiple backups still.

dogstarnyc

Don,

slightly off topic but what motherboard do you have that lets you squeeze 24GB RAM onto it...?

I'm 'only' at 8 right now...

Best,

Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don:

On my Mac in 64-bit boot mode, DROBO itself shows an a single attached FW drive and I can use it normally, however Dashboard does not work. Not sure that is the same for PC, but offered FWIW...

G

GuitarCrazyo

I would head to the doc if I were you. I could very easily have damaged a nerve when you injected. R u a diabetic??? The only studies I found with symptoms similar to your were those of Diabetic Peripheal Neuropathy. Go see the doc and let us know what happened. Sry to hear about this bud.