Site Sponsors

Thread: Which Tripod should I get?

Post Thanks / Like

Which Tripod should I get?

Following on from which monopod should I get, I am looking for advice for which Tripod to get for a friend. Its for still camera use, the cameras are Nikon D80+small zoom or smaller in size.

Some criteria- its mainly to be used outdoors, backpack, shoulder strap or hand carry on walking trails and hill climbs, weight- the lighter the better. We would rather buy a package head and tripod but would buy seperate if need be. I'm thinking ball head and the ball head needs to have simple pano ability and quick release base - with additional bases available from the manufacturer.

Budget is way under Gitzos and the like, perhaps a higher end Slik? are they good these days? The Manfrottos seem to be large and heavy compared to others?

Budget is probably under US$250 for tripod and head - could we get a carbon fiber for this? A tough buy I know but any suggestions welcome?

Many thanks

Tim
    Last edited by Tim; 7th July 2009 at 04:00.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Tripod should I get?

No one use tripods here?

no one any help?

Not to worry I'll ask elsewhere

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would look at Induro since cost is a factor here. They are very nice tripods at a pretty reasonable costs
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that many of the folks here have settled on tripods that fall out of your stated price range. In previous discussions about tripods (search the forum to find the threads) I seem to remember that the majority of recommendations were Gitzos and Manfrottos. Since you're looking for something besides those two, it might explain the lack of response.

Induro is an alternate maker of carbon fibre tripods but I can't be sure if they have a model in your stated price range. There's always eBay. Sorry I can't offer anything more concrete.

Good luck!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are some Induro's with heads

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...cSubmit=Submit
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas, I wasn't even aware of the Induro range. So I will certainly check them out.

The guy who wants this is very much concerned about the rough treatment and does not want to commit a large amount of money on a Gitzo or other that could likely get damaged or lost - its too much to risk. I did half ask on my behalf as well, as I could use a beater myself.

I guess I was a bit surprised that no one uses beaters. I suppose you buy a Gitzo or other an keep them for ever!

Thank for the suggestion and link Guy I am studying them now!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The tripods are nice. Now i am not sure how good the heads are. Suggestion I would maybe just buy the legs than get maybe a better head since he has 250 dollars you maybe able to get a decent Gitzo head or a RRS B25 with a Nikon 80 it maybe just fine for that. But the Induro legs are nice so maybe go for that at least