The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Vista 64bit OS issues?

bensonga

Hi folks,

Needed a new PC for the house and found a good deal on an HP that was loaded with Vista 64 Home Premium etc. I don't use this machine for any "serious" photo editing etc (it's our main web access etc computer), but now and then I will do some light Photoshop work on it.

Now I'm reading all sorts of info about problems with 64 bit software and hardware compatibility issues etc.

Before I spend a few hours transferring files etc to this machine.....I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle or not. Anyone here using Vista 64bit OS who can share tips, thoughts or info about it?

I assumed that by now, 64bit OS compatibility would be a non-issue....maybe not. I do have some older hardware I'd like to use with this computer (Epson 1280, HP LaserJet 1000).

TIA,

Gary
Alaska

Don Libby

Gary - Not sure of Home Premium however I've been using Vista 64 Ultima now for several years without any problems. My main studio computer started out with XP Pro 64 and switched to Vista 64 Ultima with the computer actually running better. My laptop is also running on Viata 64 Ultima.

Hope this helps

Don

etrigan63

The Epson may be an issue (there are XP x64 drivers but not Vista specific ones - YMMV), but the Laserjet has drivers built-in to Vista. If you need more help visit my site: PlanetAMD64.com - it's the largest 64-bit support site on the net.

Don Libby

Just checked the Epson site for updates - latest updated printer driver for the 9800 remains03/07/08 covers Vista 64 bit. They just added an ICC profile on 03/19/09.

Took a little digging but I also found updates for the 1280. Last printer driver update was for Win XP 64 on 08/10/05 and "Epson Easyprint v3.10" Vista 64-bit on 12/21/06. Click here to see the drivers.

The 1400 replaced the 2880 not sure if the drivers would work...

MrSlezak

I have used Windows Vista x64 without real issue (well couldn't find a x64 bit driver for the Coolscan I'm using) and unless Nikon updates drivers for Windows 7, I'll keep an XP system running as long as I need to scan.

Having said that - today Windows 7 RTM'd and I expect I will update all of my systems as soon as possible. In all the Windows 7 builds I used, I can't say there was a clunker in the bunch. From Atom based systems to multiproc/multicore Xeon systems I have been really pleased with the OS. I'm not seeing much reason to stick with Vista now that Windows 7 is done.

bensonga

I have used Windows Vista x64 without real issue (well couldn't find a x64 bit driver for the Coolscan I'm using) and unless Nikon updates drivers for Windows 7, I'll keep an XP system running as long as I need to scan.

Having said that - today Windows 7 RTM'd and I expect I will update all of my systems as soon as possible. In all the Windows 7 builds I used, I can't say there was a clunker in the bunch. From Atom based systems to multiproc/multicore Xeon systems I have been really pleased with the OS. I'm not seeing much reason to stick with Vista now that Windows 7 is done.
Darn....this is one more bit of hardware I was hoping would work with the Vista 64bit OS. I bought a new Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED awhile ago. Haven't hooked it up yet, but was hoping it would work with this PC if necessary. Oh well, if not I guess I'll have to finally get my MacPro up an running and hope it works with that machine (running either Mac OS or Win XP).

The inability to get drivers to work with Vista 64 OS for hardware that is perhaps only a few years old is my biggest worry.....that and getting Street Atlas USA v8.0 to work....the last version with the classic UI for SA USA.

In any case, thanks for all the tips and shared experiences folks. I decided to return the first PC I mentioned above and bought a bit more powerful model for a few hundred bucks more (still with Vista 64). It's a bargain compared to what I spent on the MacPro....but then again, they are PCs, not Macs....so of course they are cheaper (in $$ and build quality).

I guess in this world of "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac".....I'm bimodal.....I've got my feet in both worlds, like many others I'm sure.

Gary
Alaska

Don Libby

Gary - I've got a Epson 750 and everytime I need to scan I need to open CS4 in 32bit, scan save close then reopen CS4 in 64bit. PIA but it gets the jobs done. Could you also have a workaround?

Best

Don

etrigan63

For the record, Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) includes a "virtual XP mode" that allow older hardware drivers to be used. Another free option is to load Sun's Virtualbox and create a 32-bit XP virtual machine for running older bits of kit like your scanner. At least that way, you don't have to reboot.

MrSlezak

Home Premium Versions of Windows 7 do not come with Virtual XP Mode according to Microsoft's website - is it wrong?

Old hardware, new OS isn't easy problem to solve from any vector .If Nikon would update their drivers, then you'd have support for newer OS'. Not sure they will - but I'd pay ~$40 bucks or so to help them re-coop the cost of spinning up a dev team to do the work to bring the drivers in to a current driver model and - at least in Windows - with UMDF/KMDF/WinUSB a competent driver house should be able to crank out product pretty quick for either Vista of Windows 7.

etrigan63

Sorry about that. I am spoiled in the fact that I get access to the Ultimate version all the time. You would need to upgrade to the Pro level to get access to XP Mode.