The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Online backup solution

etrigan63

I am currently testing Carbonite online backup as an offsite backup solution. The software is very well done and the price is right: Unlimited backup space for $54.95/year. That's right, per year!

The only drawback I can see right now is it's speed. Currently my system is averaging about 4GB/day which means my lump storage of 622 GB will take about 155.5 days to back up. I do not recommends this as a near-line backup but more as a secondary/tertiary backup.

My current setup works as follows: My Mac Pro performs primary backup using Time Machine. Documents are sync'd with a Windows Home Server using Chronosync for secondary backup, and Carbonite handles tertiary backups off site.

So from where I stand right now, unless some natural disaster destroys my home, I will just have to hang in there for 5 months till my offsite backup is done.

I will update this post as I gather more info. I will publish a full article on my website.