The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod questions

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Is this a problem in the tripod world,I imagine it must be ,and is there a solution that is a little lighter and more portable than that for my enlarger?
Carbon fiber seems to be the best compromise -- it has excellent vibration damping properties and is light. As for isolation, I added the Gitzo combo spike and rubber feet to my pod. These give you the option of the ideal choice based on shooting location. Rock-solid pavement or mountain granite, I use the spikes; inside buildings that move and vibrate, I use the rubber feet.

cjlacz

Yikes.. It seems that with every new model Gitzo replaces, the price also heads North.
Easily falls in the neighborhood of a nice piece of glass.
Yeah, it's about as much as three of the lenses I own. (each) For me the size and weight was important enough to spend the money and I haven't regretted it yet. I get a lot more use out of it than if I bought any other tripod, mainly because it fits in my UD35. In these days of IS and high ISO tripods may not be as needed as they used to be, but when I need something stable it comes in useful, and I have it with me.

N

nei1

Thanks Dale,Thanks Jack,certainly makes sense about the carbon fibre.

Godfrey

"My sharpest lens is a sturdy tripod."

A good tripod is a long term investment. Buy one which is sturdy, which is light, and which you will use. It's worth much more than a premium lens, actually, and thus is a bargain at $300-800.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I really prefer a couple of tons of granite floating in a mercury bath in a temperature controlled room where the slab has been carefully shielded from air currents.
If that is not available, then a good large gitzo carbon fiber tripod is the closest I have found.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I really prefer a couple of tons of granite floating in a mercury bath in a temperature controlled room where the slab has been carefully shielded from air currents.
If that is not available, then a good large gitzo carbon fiber tripod is the closest I have found.
. . . is that for mounting a camera or keeping the Hendrick's from sloshing about? :)