The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PC and monitor advice please?

fotoism

I am thinking of building a new PC to replace the one I am using, a Pentium single core machine several years old. It is becoming painfully obvious trying to push my M8 DNG files thorugh C1 and CS4 is unhealthy, for me and my computer.;)

I built PC's before but there are so many things to consider due to rapid changes in the computer technology scene. I hope all you photographer/computer experts on this forum can shed some light on this.

The computer will be mostly for photo-editing, some light duty video-editing, the usual Office chores, and limited sound-editing ( for videos and slide-shows...etc.) I don't do gaming and I won't be over-clocking. Also, I am an amateur, not a professional, so the extreme high-end stuff would be out of my financial reach. My budget is between $1000-$1200, monitor on top.

Any advice on choice of CPU ( C2Q vs. Ci7 ), motherboard ( any particular recommendations ), memories, or anyone with a nice configuration he/she is happy with?

Also, I heard great comments about Eizo's, but that is beyond my reach for now. One day, maybe. Any recommendations on a good monitor for under $500? Or can I get a decent one for that price at all?

Thanks.

Don Libby

Phil

Since you say PC I'll assume you aren't looking for a Mac. All my computers are PCs and all are Dell. My recommendation is a Dell and since you included a total budget of $1700 ($1,200 for the computer and $500 for the monitor) here's what I saw on Dell's website.

Dell Studio XPS Desktop 2.66GHz 6GB RAM and 24" monitor $1,229 granted I didn't go in to thoroughly spec this puppy out it nevertheless is a nice starting point for what you are after. I also happen to use 2 of Dell's monitors and have had no problem with either and they hold their calibration well.

Agree Eizo's are nice but very very expensive.

Just my 2¢ worth here.

Don