Site Sponsors

Thread: PC and monitor advice please?

Post Thanks / Like

PC and monitor advice please?

I am thinking of building a new PC to replace the one I am using, a Pentium single core machine several years old. It is becoming painfully obvious trying to push my M8 DNG files thorugh C1 and CS4 is unhealthy, for me and my computer.

I built PC's before but there are so many things to consider due to rapid changes in the computer technology scene. I hope all you photographer/computer experts on this forum can shed some light on this.

The computer will be mostly for photo-editing, some light duty video-editing, the usual Office chores, and limited sound-editing ( for videos and slide-shows...etc.) I don't do gaming and I won't be over-clocking. Also, I am an amateur, not a professional, so the extreme high-end stuff would be out of my financial reach. My budget is between $1000-$1200, monitor on top.

Any advice on choice of CPU ( C2Q vs. Ci7 ), motherboard ( any particular recommendations ), memories, or anyone with a nice configuration he/she is happy with?

Also, I heard great comments about Eizo's, but that is beyond my reach for now. One day, maybe. Any recommendations on a good monitor for under $500? Or can I get a decent one for that price at all?

Thanks.
    Phil

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC and monitor advice please?

Phil

Since you say PC I'll assume you aren't looking for a Mac. All my computers are PCs and all are Dell. My recommendation is a Dell and since you included a total budget of $1700 ($1,200 for the computer and $500 for the monitor) here's what I saw on Dell's website.

Dell Studio XPS Desktop 2.66GHz 6GB RAM and 24" monitor $1,229 granted I didn't go in to thoroughly spec this puppy out it nevertheless is a nice starting point for what you are after. I also happen to use 2 of Dell's monitors and have had no problem with either and they hold their calibration well.

Agree Eizo's are nice but very very expensive.

Just my 2 worth here.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC and monitor advice please?

Don:
    Thanks. I'll check that out.
    Phil