Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Snow Leopard : Tips, tricks and whatever else we need to know

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Snow Leopard : Tips, tricks and whatever else we need to know

Going back a bit here my Raid O set was created in Leopard and my X-Bench score are 211 now and they used to be 239. I'm questioning the Raid set being done in Leopard now and maybe untangle them and redo them in Snow instead. I got a weird feeling. I have my usually experts on it now for advice Bob, Jack and Lloyd.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A number of folks are reporting lower XBench scores, which may be an artifact of the weighting that XBench uses or perhaps something peculiar about the benchmark itself.
    Many users are attributing this lower score to dramatically lower OpenGL numbers.
    -bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Xbench is just a reference, it only is useful when using the same version of the OS. Even then it's not necessarily a completely accurate representation of actual speed.

This anomaly used to happen with MacBench many years ago under OS 9 as well.

In my former life as a hardware developer for Macs (CPU upgrades) I found nothing worked better than real-life speed tests. Those tests are dependent on what the primary application the computer is used for. In our field since we were focused on CPUs we used CPU intensive software (complicated Photoshop actions, After Effects, etc.) Since we tested in the same exact system and simply swapped CPUs, the hard drive, memory and video all remained the same and the only variation were the CPU(s) themselves.

In this case since the hardware remains unchanged and only the OS changed, I'd still recommend using real apps for speed tests. But unless those tests were done under Leopard first, before installing Snow, it's too late (unless one has multiple identical boot drives, one with Leopard and one with Snow.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Synthetic benchmarks are pretty meaningless.
    We used to even write compilers to detect certain of them and emit special code.
    Better to use a real application realistically to make a more meaningful measurement.
    OTOH, sometimes they are of forensic value to pinpoint an anomaly.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess you guys are right I am suspecting X bench to not be very accurate to begin with. Let me time a c1 conversion maybe that will give me a clue
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just ran some actions in PS with Open Gl on and it went very fast and C1 was on target as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just opened a 194 mg file in a spilt second in Preview and also tried it to open in Safari . Okay they are both 64 bit and fast as hell. Need to try this. Just right click on a image and open in preview

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FTR, Xbench is reporting a 20 pt. performance drop on my Mac Pro as well. I suspect that Xbench will need an update to be able to more accurately gauge 64-bit performance.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

TIP:

There seems to be some confusion about 32 vs. 64 and which macs can or can't. I found this little bit of shareware that might prove handy for those of us less tech savvy than some. It will tell you whether your mac is capable of 64 and if so, whether it's currently booting into 64 or 32. Plus, it allows you to select which mode you want to boot into. When you restart it will confirm the change when you open it again. Pretty nifty little control.

Also, it might bear repeating that to boot into 64 you can do the same thing by simply holding down the 6 and 4 keys on startup (or the 3 and 2 keys).

Find the utility here: http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/E...s/SMS/SMS.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    FTR, Xbench is reporting a 20 pt. performance drop on my Mac Pro as well. I suspect that Xbench will need an update to be able to more accurately gauge 64-bit performance.
    Carlos love ya and thanks for that. But being the guinea pig i am and just to make sure our members know all the ins and outs. The idiot here is untangling my Raid O from leopard which is a question mark and redoing it in Snow Leopard but at least i can clean my drives off which honestly may have something lingering like stinky feet. Than I will install the DVD OS back on the main Raid O volume . Than from there I will migrate from my current Snow Leopard backup. This maybe a complete waste of time and effort and may proof absolutely nothing but I got a bug up my you know what and i can go to sleep at night knowing I did about as clean a install as possibly human. Which means nothing to anyone but I can get it off my mind. Than I can tell all of you to just upgrade with confidence. Someone has to step in the pig crap to make others smell better.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    TIP:
    There seems to be some confusion about 32 vs. 64 and which macs can or can't...
    As long as we're at it, let's clear up any potential confusion (which I haven't been seeing here, but HAVE seen in other places) about "64 is better than 32 because it's more, and more is better."

Here's what Apple says on this topic:

For many developers, however, compiling their code into 64-bit programs may not offer any inherent advantages. Unless your program needs more than 4 GB of addressable memory, supporting 64-bit pointers may only reduce the performance of your application.
    This quote came from a blog post by Adobe's John Nack, titled "A 64-Bit Reality Check" (you have to scroll down a bit to read it.) It also includes a link to the original Apple document that includes a "common misconceptions" section.

Reading these may help with any impatience people may be feeling for "Why hasn't my developer issued a 64-bit version of _______ yet?"

Eventually, 64-bit will be a good thing because it will enable developers to release applications that can address huge amounts of memory, which is generally a handy thing for image-processing applications.

Until then, it's likely that most of the speed benefit many of us are seeing from Snow Leopard is because of the cleaned-up, more-tightly-optimized code... which will benefit 32-bit as well as 64-bit apps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No real X-bench change but it feels faster . Go figure , just upgrade

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My car feels faster too after I wash it.
    -bob

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    My car feels faster too after I wash it.
    -bob
    A clean car has significantly lower aerodynamic drag. May not make a tangible difference unless you do most of your driving on the Bonneville Salt Flats, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or in a tunnel. Actually I feel better now and it does seem faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually knocked off 3 seconds in C1 to process a file

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I have everything working and almost all my software back. Two little programs I use Fetch is not ready and Letterbox for mail is not ready . Other than that one glitch in C1 and that is the progress bar separates but it is faster to process even without new 64 bit code. One program I had to install Rosetta was Eye One 3.6.1 needed Rosetta and also on boot the reminder to calibrate come up every time. Dowloaded 3.6.2 and that reminder went away but it still says PowerPC so you can instal without Rosetta and if it needs it than it will go out and get it on the internet and download. These are the little nits and nothing major.

I do have one Major issue and that is the e-sata express card I have a Caldigit adapter card. At first my drives would not show up, went to download there driver and got them back up. This is not a Snow Leopard driver yet but booting normally I have them up. Now try booting in 64 Bit and I lose those drives. So just waiting for a new driver to be able to do that.

Other than that I am actually pleased with it, it is snappier and of course that is hard to tell on my machine since I am running SSD in Raid O. But we have to remember who this upgrade is really for and it is not the end user but for developers to be able to write code better and faster to market, plus it makes the machine more bullet proof. For a photographer exactly what we want. It will get much better obviously as code is written for 64 bit.

BTW Helicon focus is 64 bit and it fly's. I hear Lightroom and Aperture are running very well indeed under it. Just waiting for C1 update for myself and I will be happy happy happy. It's hard going to a completely all laptop machine for someone that shoots high end digital with big files so speed is critical to keep up. End of the day this looks to be a winner in the end

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, please keep us updated on the Caldigit esata. We're running a FW800 drive until the issue is resolved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will Bill . You have a Raid box it sounds like which one do you have.

I will send them a note today and see what is up

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just have this card I use and go out to a external box

http://www.CalDigit.com/FASTA-1ex.asp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There appears to be more to the story. There is an article on today's Luminous Landscape about Snow Leopard and Epson printers.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/woes.shtml

As an Imageprint user with an Epson 3800 I'm sitting tight for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Epson printers???

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wish I could say the same for Canon. I called imagePROGRAF support and their answer was: "Don't upgrade to Snow Leopard until we release the drivers and we don't know when that will happen."

They also informed me that current printers will be released first, then older models like my W6400 later.

I found a workaround that does the job quite admirably: Parallels 4 + Win7 + Qimage. Far less expensive than any RIP solutions that work natively on the Mac and if I spring for the Studio version of Qimage, I get multi-core support. This configuration is supported by Qimage, BTW.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

eheffa

Re: Snow Leopard : ImagePrint 7

For the record.

ImagePrint 7 is supposed to be compatible with Snow Leopard but needs to be updated by downloading latest version from Colorbyte and uninstalling the old version & reinstalling the newest version. (New Epson Drivers should also be installed...)

I haven't done it yet but reportedly it works fine.

See: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/I...ew/message/120

I'll report back if I experience any issues...

-evan

eheffa

Re: Snow Leopard : ImagePrint 7

Quote Originally Posted by eheffa View Post
    For the record.

ImagePrint 7 is supposed to be compatible with Snow Leopard but needs to be updated by downloading latest version from Colorbyte and uninstalling the old version & reinstalling the newest version. (New Epson Drivers should also be installed...)

I haven't done it yet but reportedly it works fine.

See: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/I...ew/message/120

I'll report back if I experience any issues...

-evan
    Update:

For what it's worth...

I did the deed when I could afford my system to be down for a while.

Interestingly. Epson has links to Snow Leopard compatible drivers for my Epson 4800 on their website but these links take you to older drivers that are listed as only compatible up to OSX 10.5.x. (!#@%&)

After loading Snow leopard & discovering that my PCIe SATA Card Driver from Silicon Image was causing a Kernel Panic (Fixed with an updated driver), I then wasted a few hours trying to find a current Epson 4800 Driver. No luck but after installing Rosetta, I just reloaded the old Drivers which works fine so far. Reloading Imageprint had a few hiccups but was up and running fairly quickly too. So in the end, this upgrade was relatively painless compared to the many Windows upgrades I have done in the past. LR 2.6 still seems slow but the a little faster than before with better memory handling.

So if anyone is interested...Snow Leopard, Imageprint 7 and the Epsoin 4800 can "play nice" together.

-evan