The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Snow Leopard : Tips, tricks and whatever else we need to know

R

Ranger 9

One Snow Leopard install glitch

As noted in my previous post, my original attempt to install Snow Leopard got sidetracked when I found that my hard disk wasn't formatted with GUID partitions (instead I had used the older Apple Partition Map format.)

This meant I had to restart from the Snow Leopard install disc, then use the copy of Disk Utility on it to image my hard disk to an external disk, THEN reformat the internal disk (erasing all data.)

Trip-up #1: The first time I did this, I assumed that Snow Leopard's Disk Utility would partition the disk as GUID by default; oops, it didn't. That meant I had to repeat the process, this time clicking the "Options" button first to specify that I wanted my partition to be GUID.​

Trip-up #2: Once I had reformatted the hard disk correctly, I was still started up from the Snow Leopard install disc. I decided to run the installer from there, since that's what I've always done with previous MacOS installs. When I came back a few minutes later, I found the installer had stopped and was displaying a big "INSTALL FAILED" screen.​

I did a quick web search and found a few other reports of this, but not many. People who had it were trying to attribute it to a defective install disc, but their reports weren't either numerous or consistent, so I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I went back and tried again, this time doing the install the way Apple recommends installing Snow Leopard: right over your previous installation.

[This is a big change from what people in the Mac-geek community have always considered "best-practice": The right way to install a new OS has always been considered to be to erase your hard disk and do a "clean install." Apple's alternative of installing right over your old system is usually dismissed by the geeks as a corner-cutting short-cut method that's more likely to cause trouble down the road. Now, however, it's Apple's preferred installation method.]​

Anyway, following the Apple recommendation meant that I had to restore my previous Leopard system from the backup image I had made. Once I had done that, I started up the computer in Leopard and made sure everything was back to the way it had been.

Once I had done that, I put the Snow Leopard disc in and just clicked the Install icon -- no reboot from the disc, no reformat, no nuthin.' Then I just walked away.

When I came back about an hour later, Snow Leopard had installed with no errors, and everything seems to be fine.

Moral of this story: Do your Snow Leopard install the easy way, not the way you've always thought of as the "right" way. Just start up your Mac, shove in the disc, and let the installer do its thing. That's what worked for me, anyway...

woodyspedden

Here is a users list of compatible software . It lists C1 4.8

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/
Guy

I can confirm that C1 4.8.2 works fine. Photoshop works much better than with Leopard. But Epson 3800 and 7800 are awaiting updates. In their current state they do not work.

In general though I don't see the super speed advantages claimed by Apple. A number of leopard problems have cleared up nicely so I am very hopeful for Snow Leopard giving third party vendors and Apple a chance to get things cleared up.

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Woody , yes 3rd party vendors just have to write the codes which snow leopard supposedly made it easier for them. The whole idea behind snow leopard was really to clean things up and make it easier for developers.

woodyspedden

I just followed the instructions on the Epson page for Snow Leopard updates. A bit convoluted but I now have both the 3880 and 7880 working fine.

I will install the modified drivers when available from Adobe but for now I am back up and running.

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Just installed Snow Leopard. Mail was a bit screwy in the smtp outgoing mails , need to redo the passwords. That is fixed now

Lost my e-sata express card drive , downloaded the driver again and that is good.

Eye One runs on Rosetta so that had to be installed and since I am on the subject you will immediately see the gamma change so need to recalibrate your monitor.

Still playing but seems pretty good . BTW C1 no issues and none with any Adobe CS4 product as well.

Helicon focus is 64 bit , FAST

Guy Mancuso

Lost two nifty little programs I lost letterbox for mail and Istat which waiting on new builds for SL

Guy Mancuso

Looks like passwords. There is something on the apple forums on this . Have to go back in and try and figure it out. My Cox account is the issue. My Me account is just fine and so is my getdpi account. Honestly I want to dump my Cox account anyway because it gets some e-mails blocked and hard time sending e-mail over 2mgs. PITA actually but it is my main account

etrigan63

Do this:
Open the Console
Run Mail.app to generate the epic fail.
Go to the Console and search for "mail.app"
Look and see what the errors are exactly.
Post them here if they are meaningless gibberish to you.

Guy Mancuso

8/31/09 1:09:52 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[122] ([0x0-0x13013].com.apple.mail[235]) Exited: Killed

etrigan63

From the error and the link, it looks like one of two things:

1. Your password is missing from the advanced SMTP settings under accounts

or

2. Your com.apple.mail.plist is corrupt and needs to be recreated. This is most easily done by closing down mail.app and deleting com.apple.mail.plist (or moving it somewhere else) then restarting mail.app and adding the account info again.

Guy Mancuso

Okay up and running and feeling pretty darn good about it so far i give it the:thumbs:

Couple minor niggles but just convenience stuff