Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snow Leopard : Tips, tricks and whatever else we need to know

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Snow Leopard : Tips, tricks and whatever else we need to know

Okay it 's coming Friday. Save your fellow forums members from frustration, angry and no headaches. Anything you can add to help your fellow members out from tossing it out the window.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Snow Leopard : Tips, tricks and whatever else we need to know

What I like about this forum is the enthusiasm of its founders and many participants. Often a goldmine of information - delivered after someone who likes being bleeding edge has learned stuff the hard way. Thanks for your great work Guy and Jack et al.

Me I cant contribute to this as I will be waiting at least 6 months for all the bugs to be ironed out. To be fair all I care about is wether my Epson prionter will work - and wether my DROBO system will be ok and wether Adobe works better or not.

All the interface flim flams gadgets gimmicks and gizmos - I am too old too care about.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are several applications that will not work in Snow Leopard as of their current revisions.
    1Password is one that seems to fail.
    There are a couple of others I might mention but can't, but my advice is to wait 2-4 weeks after the release to allow most of the other vendors out there to rev up their code.
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 26th August 2009 at 16:50.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's an article that was sent to me earlier regarding SL upgrades.

http://lifehacker.com/5345690/prep-y...r-snow-leopard
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a users list of compatible software . It lists C1 4.8

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ranger 9

Carbon Copy Cloner is great, but I've occasionally gotten unexpected "oops" results with it -- and that's despite 20+ years' experience as a UNIX sysadmin!

If people want an easy way to make a "snapshot" of their current hard disk to an empty external drive before installing Snow Leopard, I would suggest starting up from your system DVD and using the "Restore" tab of the Disk Utility that's on it.

Unmount the hard drive with your current system using the buttons at the top of the Disk Utility window, then drag the hard drive's icon from the left pane to the "Source:" box. Drag your external drive's icon to the "Destination:" box, then click the Restore button. (If you get a dialog saying you need to scan your source first, choose "Scan Image for Restore..." under the Image menu.)

The process takes a while, but you can just go away and leave it. Once it's done, you can proceed with your Snow Leopard install. If anything goes wrong with that, you can start up off the external disk, which now contains an exact copy of your previous hard disk. Or you can reverse the above process to put your internal disk back the way it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Epson printers???
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Epson printers???
    Don't know but I just contacted Colorbyte to see if ImagePrint 7 will have any issues. Last time I upgraded my OS X I had to buy an upgraded version of ImagePrint which was far more expensive than the OS X upgrade. Colorbyte said they will start testing next week and to get back to them. Will update this when I know more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Found this on the Epson site, so I may take the plunge sooner than later: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...nowLeopard.jsp
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW I posted a thread on C1 but just in Case

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...d=1#post129537

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    ... If people want an easy way to make a "snapshot" of their current hard disk to an empty external drive before installing Snow Leopard...
    I highly recommend "Super Duper!" from Shirt Pocket Software,
    http://www.shirt-pocket.com/
    for cloning system disks. It's very easy to use, very configurable, and has been absolutely reliable. Also great for backup, etc. And their support folks have been very helpful when needed.

I've been using SuperDuper! for at least a couple of years ... It's saved many a situation that would have been a disastrous time-sink or data loss hell otherwise.

Ranger 9

One problem right out of the box

I just received my Snow Leopard disc and, since it's a slow day at work, thought I'd install it on my Intel Macbook here and now.

Oops, hit one problem right away:

The Snow Leopard installer wants your intended startup disk to be partitioned in GUID format rather than the older APM (Apple Partition Map) format. I hadn't realized that when I had installed my hard drive, I had partitioned it in APM, since back then it didn't really make any difference.

To change the format to GUID, you have to re-partition the disk, which erases all the data!

That in itself wasn't a deal-killer for me; I planned to image my current startup disk anyway so I'd have a safety copy in case something went wrong during the Snow Leopard installation. (I already have a Time Machine backup of the disk, but hey, I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy when it comes to disks.)

As I posted above, my preferred way to image a disk is by using the Restore tab in Apple's Disk Utility. A copy of Disk Utility is on the Snow Leopard startup disc, so it's already handy.

The only problem I hit was that Restore makes a "block copy" of the disk -- which is fast and reliable, but requires that your target disk have the same amount of space as the source disk you're imaging. That meant that even though I only have about 45gb of stuff on my laptop's 320gb startup disk, I need an empty 320gb external disk to hold my block-copied image.

I've got one of those at home, but not at the office, so my Snow Leopard install plans are stymied for now.

Moral for others: If you're getting ready to install Snow Leopard and you can't remember how your startup disk is partitioned, be prepared for the possibility that you may have to image it and then reformat it before you can proceed with your installation -- so make sure you have a big enough external disk handy to store your backup image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the new machines coming from Apple are GUID already. Mine came in that way but make sure if reformatted at one time you are in GUID

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine doe snot come until Tuesday so I can't try anything yet. Maybe a good thing. LOL

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Mine doe snot come until Tuesday...
    Doe snot... ewwwww. Can't somebody teach female deer to use a tissue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL . Damn spa ce bar always gets in the way. I do have a box of tissues around somewhere though

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Snow Leopard Finder uses Base 10 instead of Base 2

so you see a space gain with is due to the conversion -
    see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=774206

I've first read this on Dpreview from JonathanUK http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=32825930

Regards
    Johannes

Ranger 9

Re: Snow Leopard Finder uses Base 10 instead of Base 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    so you see a space gain with is due to the conversion -
    see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=774206

I've first read this on Dpreview from JonathanUK http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=32825930

Regards
    Johannes
    Yes, I saw a space gain. As noted in the thread you quote, some of this is just because they have changed the usage of "mega" and "giga" from base-2 (old computer-industry convention) to base-10 (normal convention.) But even allowing for that, there's still a space gain, mostly (I think) from getting rid of old pieces of PowerPC code, and from the fact that by default it no longer installs support for hundreds of printers -- only for ones you have connected or have used recently.

Another example of this "as-needed" type of installation is Rosetta, the compatibility package that allows an Intel Mac to run older applications written for PowerPC Macs. Snow Leopard has Rosetta included on the disc, but it is not installed by default. (You have to choose a custom install to get it.)

However, if you skip installing Rosetta and then later try to launch an application that requires it, Snow Leopard will throw a dialog that -- assuming you have an active Internet connection -- offers to download Rosetta and install it. My old copy of Photoshop CS2 triggered this when I tried to launch it, and once Snow Leopard had done its thing, CS2 ran fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like that idea about not installing Rosetta at the install level and if you need it than it can be downloaded. Great idea from Apple

Ranger 9

One Snow Leopard install glitch

As noted in my previous post, my original attempt to install Snow Leopard got sidetracked when I found that my hard disk wasn't formatted with GUID partitions (instead I had used the older Apple Partition Map format.)

This meant I had to restart from the Snow Leopard install disc, then use the copy of Disk Utility on it to image my hard disk to an external disk, THEN reformat the internal disk (erasing all data.)

Trip-up #1: The first time I did this, I assumed that Snow Leopard's Disk Utility would partition the disk as GUID by default; oops, it didn't. That meant I had to repeat the process, this time clicking the "Options" button first to specify that I wanted my partition to be GUID.

Trip-up #2: Once I had reformatted the hard disk correctly, I was still started up from the Snow Leopard install disc. I decided to run the installer from there, since that's what I've always done with previous MacOS installs. When I came back a few minutes later, I found the installer had stopped and was displaying a big "INSTALL FAILED" screen.

I did a quick web search and found a few other reports of this, but not many. People who had it were trying to attribute it to a defective install disc, but their reports weren't either numerous or consistent, so I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I went back and tried again, this time doing the install the way Apple recommends installing Snow Leopard: right over your previous installation.

[This is a big change from what people in the Mac-geek community have always considered "best-practice": The right way to install a new OS has always been considered to be to erase your hard disk and do a "clean install." Apple's alternative of installing right over your old system is usually dismissed by the geeks as a corner-cutting short-cut method that's more likely to cause trouble down the road. Now, however, it's Apple's preferred installation method.]

Anyway, following the Apple recommendation meant that I had to restore my previous Leopard system from the backup image I had made. Once I had done that, I started up the computer in Leopard and made sure everything was back to the way it had been.

Once I had done that, I put the Snow Leopard disc in and just clicked the Install icon -- no reboot from the disc, no reformat, no nuthin.' Then I just walked away.

When I came back about an hour later, Snow Leopard had installed with no errors, and everything seems to be fine.

Moral of this story: Do your Snow Leopard install the easy way, not the way you've always thought of as the "right" way. Just start up your Mac, shove in the disc, and let the installer do its thing. That's what worked for me, anyway...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a users list of compatible software . It lists C1 4.8

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/
    Guy

I can confirm that C1 4.8.2 works fine. Photoshop works much better than with Leopard. But Epson 3800 and 7800 are awaiting updates. In their current state they do not work.

In general though I don't see the super speed advantages claimed by Apple. A number of leopard problems have cleared up nicely so I am very hopeful for Snow Leopard giving third party vendors and Apple a chance to get things cleared up.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Woody , yes 3rd party vendors just have to write the codes which snow leopard supposedly made it easier for them. The whole idea behind snow leopard was really to clean things up and make it easier for developers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just followed the instructions on the Epson page for Snow Leopard updates. A bit convoluted but I now have both the 3880 and 7880 working fine.

I will install the modified drivers when available from Adobe but for now I am back up and running.

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon has not made any announcements vis-a-vis ImagePROGRAF printer support under Snow Leopard. I am trying to follow up with them, but in the meantime I have posted this workaround using Parallels/Windows 7/Qimage.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here's Apple's list of incompatibilities:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just installed Snow Leopard. Mail was a bit screwy in the smtp outgoing mails , need to redo the passwords. That is fixed now

Lost my e-sata express card drive , downloaded the driver again and that is good.

Eye One runs on Rosetta so that had to be installed and since I am on the subject you will immediately see the gamma change so need to recalibrate your monitor.

Still playing but seems pretty good . BTW C1 no issues and none with any Adobe CS4 product as well.

Helicon focus is 64 bit , FAST

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lost two nifty little programs I lost letterbox for mail and Istat which waiting on new builds for SL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still having SMTP issues

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What kind of SMTP issues Guy?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like passwords. There is something on the apple forums on this . Have to go back in and try and figure it out. My Cox account is the issue. My Me account is just fine and so is my getdpi account. Honestly I want to dump my Cox account anyway because it gets some e-mails blocked and hard time sending e-mail over 2mgs. PITA actually but it is my main account

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do this:
    Open the Console
    Run Mail.app to generate the epic fail.
    Go to the Console and search for "mail.app"
    Look and see what the errors are exactly.
    Post them here if they are meaningless gibberish to you.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not having SMTP issues, but Logmein is now broken under SL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

8/31/09 1:09:52 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[122] ([0x0-0x13013].com.apple.mail[235]) Exited: Killed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the error and the link, it looks like one of two things:

1. Your password is missing from the advanced SMTP settings under accounts

or

2. Your com.apple.mail.plist is corrupt and needs to be recreated. This is most easily done by closing down mail.app and deleting com.apple.mail.plist (or moving it somewhere else) then restarting mail.app and adding the account info again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I must just do that . It's all screwed up . Thanks Guy

Going after the Plist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Redoing it now. Luckily all my mail is still on those Cox servers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay up and running and feeling pretty darn good about it so far i give it the

Couple minor niggles but just convenience stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So run xbench and tell us how much better you score
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lower about 30 points which is kind of strange. But i wonder if X-bench needs a update

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad I was able to help

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yes thanks Carlos that was the trick for me. Took a bit longer but better off in the end than playing the password port game. Thanks

One issue I did run across and this could be the driver itself but my e-sata express card Caldigit is the brand when booting in 64 bit my externals won't show up connected to the e-sata . In 32 bit no problem. Not sure what to make of that.

I did check there site and downloaded the latest drivers for Snow

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm, sounds like they are 32-bit drivers or still hybrid 32/64 (requiring 32-kernel but accessing 64-bit extensions). I suspect that many OEMs will be scrambling to put out full 64-drivers for the next 6 months or more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Carlos figured it was really not the machine per say

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In a weak moment, I loaded the frosty cat. So far, so good (time machine is still doing its thing in the background so not a good time for speed testing).

One cool little tip: finally, after all this time, you can get the date to appear in the menu bar across the top, next to the time. Go to the Date and Time preference and in the clock tab you'll find a new checkbox that lets you put the date next to the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One issue I did run across and this could be the driver itself but my e-sata express card Caldigit is the brand when booting in 64 bit my externals won't show up connected to the e-sata . In 32 bit no problem. Not sure what to make of that.

I did check there site and downloaded the latest drivers for Snow
    No answer there. We had Caldigit send out a new drive. They are aware of the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bill.

Ranger 9

Incidentally, I took my Snow-Leopardized laptop to work today and, just for a laugh, connected it up to the corporate LAN to see if it really does work with an Exchange 2007 server.

It does. Setting it up was so easy it was kind of spooky.

Assuming your Exchange 2007 server is set up for auto-discovery (which I think is the default) then all you need to know are the name of the server (which I found out by looking at a Windows PC) and your user ID and password, which presumably you already know. Then you just launch Mail and set up a new account using these settings; it also prompts you to set up connections to the Exchange calendar and address book, if you want.

All this took about 30 seconds and four or five clicks, and -- with no help at all from the IT department -- suddenly I had an Exchange mailbox in Mail, plus all my saved Exchange folders in the sidebar. My Exchange appointments and to-dos mysteriously appeared in iCal, along with the capability to send out meeting invitations and check the availability of other users and conference rooms. Meanwhile, Address Book acquires your Exchange contact list, and the ability to search your corporate directory -- just start typing and names appear almost immediately.

(When you go home, uncheck the Exchange accounts and it all disappears so it's out of your way.)

Up until now I had to deal with Exchange via the very feature-limited Outlook Web Access, but Snow Leopard makes my MacBook a full-fledged citizen of the corporate network.

It won't be beneficial to everyone, but for cubicle-dwellers this is a big win for Snow Leopard, and it works just as effortlessly and smoothly as advertised.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually easier to set up Exchange on SL than on a PC. But I guess that isn't too surprising...