The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aluminum Prints

NotXorc

I have heard many positive reviews about the process. It can be striking when lit properly (examples above look beautiful). I have stayed away due to the lack of "archival" information. This is a sublimation process and noone knows how long they will last. Hopefully it will be positive.
I placed some strips of black vinyl tape on a test print and then left it horizontal in the Florida sun for 4 months this summer. It was completely exposed to the elements and got high noon UV practically every day. After removing the tape, I could see only a slight shift in the blues and greens of the test print. If you didn't know where the vinyl had been, it would have been difficult to notice the hue shift. My print did not contain the full spectrum, so I cannot be sure that other colors will respond the same way.

As with many processes, YMMV. I would imagine variables such as the printer used, uniformity of heat transfer, etc. could all affect colorfastness. It's really a crapshoot, unless you can do your own testing and control the variables too.

Finally, do shop around when getting dyesub prints. As this medium is novel to most photographers, I think companies are making a very pretty penny in markups. My printer is charging less than half of what Bayphoto and ImageWizards ask for a 2x3' print. I have not seen the work of either vendor in person to know if there is a quality gap which justifies their higher price.

kdphotography

....My printer is charging less than half of what Bayphoto and ImageWizards ask for a 2x3' print. I have not seen the work of either vendor in person to know if there is a quality gap which justifies their higher price.
Would you mind sharing who your printer is that you use for printing on metal/aluminum similar to BayPhoto?

ken

PeterL

Thanks for the link, xpixel... I've never seen this lab and the products/references seem great.

ETA... DOH!!! It's overseas from me... no wonder. Time for another cup of coffee.
I've ordered from them (I'm in CA), and even with shipping the prices are very competitive (2-3 day UPS). Quality and customer service is top notch. Highly recommended. I've had Durst Lamda prints mounted on Aluminum with the 2mm acrylic glass in front. Looks really good.

Cheers, -Peter

jsf

I print on a product by AlumaJet. I use their satin surface, the color is good, the dynamic range is less than a good paper, but a nice print can be made. I print on my Epson 3880 and it goes through quite nicely. It is stable in indoor situations, they assure me it is not stable outdoors under direct sunlight. That is where we are using it, knowing it isn't stable I will be able to tell you eventually what the life is outside in raw light. But it makes a reasonably inexpensive full color sign for our arboretum, and I can replace it whenever it fades. Joe

Dan Berg

Following Jacks link to Bay Photo tells you what the process is.
It is not technically printed on metal but is still called a metal print. It is the dye sublimation process. Printed on transfer paper with a dye sublimation printer. The Chromaluxe metal blanks have a polymer coating from the factory. The metal blank is inserted into a heat press similar to the Geo. Knight press and the printed transfer paper is pressed for 1 minute at 400 degrees.
In a nutshell that is the dye sub process. To see it in progress go to YouTube and watch some of the Conde Systems Chromaluxe Metal videos.

Last edited: