The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Website

viablex1

Can someone recommend a website service that is better than the betterphoto.com

I have had one of those for a couple of years but frankly they really suck.

any help would be appreciated

matto:(

viablex1

Thanks Guy,

I had looked at your website and thought you actually built it , it looks great at least now I know what I want to be when I grow up!!!

lol

thanks for the input, you got some really great images on there!!!!!

matto

routlaw

Another option which is very easy to do yourself but would require you to buy another 'puter is build it with iWeb. My website (which is sorely in need of updating) is done entirely with iWeb on a Mac. www.roboutlawphotography.com The up front cost of the computer would be less than hiring an outside source to build one for you, and you have the added benefit of being able to update at will. Not something I am very good at mind you.

Like most online web building sources you would be required to use their templates, but they are all highly customizable enabling you to build a site that does not exhibit the typical branded iWeb look. Its so easy to use you could probably teach a chimpanzee how to build a website with it.

Just a thought.

Rob

viablex1

Rob,

that is interesting.

Is that available in the apps store? I bought my wife a macbook pro a little while ago.

this sounds interesting

Matto

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Iweb I believe is in Ilife. She most likely has it on her system but yes Iweb can do a great job as well. Mine you pay for the ease of use which is what I was after plus I can upload, delete, move things around and such on the backend through a browser.

Glad you did not notice it was a template setup. Thats actually a good thing

routlaw

Rob,

that is interesting.

Is that available in the apps store? I bought my wife a macbook pro a little while ago.

this sounds interesting

Matto
Guy is correct iWeb is part of the iLife series programs that comes on every mac computer. If you belly up to the bar and pay the $99 bucks for a .mac account or mobile me as they now call it, you can build your website in iWeb and publish or upload the site and pages directly into your mobile me account. Its very easy to change and move things around or add, delete pictures etc.

About the only thing you cannot do with a mobile me account is create a direct commerce site with it. By that I mean you cannot sale prints directly via a secure link in the same manner you might buy gear at some internet website. But you can get around this by using a yahoo pay deal or pay pal for that matter.

Jack Dykinga, the last time I looked, also uses iWeb for his website. Might want to check this out to get an idea of the template cookie cutter approach. Not that his work is cookie cutter, far from it, but the website did have a more typical iWeb look the last time I perused it.

Rob

S

steve telos

I came across this site that is selling Photoshop layered backgrounds. Thinking of buying the whole set. Anyone have any experience with this company? www.Jumboshots.com

Godfrey

Guy is correct iWeb is part of the iLife series programs that comes on every mac computer. If you belly up to the bar and pay the $99 bucks for a .mac account or mobile me as they now call it, you can build your website in iWeb and publish or upload the site and pages directly into your mobile me account. Its very easy to change and move things around or add, delete pictures etc.

About the only thing you cannot do with a mobile me account is create a direct commerce site with it. By that I mean you cannot sale prints directly via a secure link in the same manner you might buy gear at some internet website. But you can get around this by using a yahoo pay deal or pay pal for that matter. ...
A note: MobileMe sign-ups are now closed with the iCloud announcements and the future of Apple's iDisk-based web hosting service or its transition to another service has not been announced yet.

That said, you don't need MobileMe to use iWeb. iWeb is a good and inexpensive WYSIWYG website editing application ... it is easy to use with MobileMe as it is integrated there, but you can point it at any web server via ftp for similar capabilities and you can also export finished website designs to a local volume and upload that complete to any web server independently.