The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Displaying laminated prints

scho

I've been printing borderless images on Ilford Smooth Pearl using a Canon ipF6100 and then hot laminating the prints in an Akiles 18.5 inch pouch laminator. I've tried both matte and high gloss 5 mil laminating pouches and prefer the gloss where lighting can be controlled and there are no window reflections. Matte is also OK where reflections are a problem, but it doesn't give the kick to the images the gloss laminate provides. The laminated prints can be easily displayed and changed using SnapFrames that can be hung or permanently attached to the wall with screws. Frames are available in a wide selection of sizes, finishes, and profiles. I'm using 18x24 inch black frames with a 1.25 inch profile for my laminated prints with no glazing. Frame backing is opaque white styrene. Nice system if you print a lot and want to change your wall display prints often. The aluminum frames have stainless steel springs that allow you to easily pop open the frames mounted on the wall, change the print, and snap down the spring loaded moulding to hold the print in place.

Abstraction

Hi Carl,

What is the advantage of laminating prints vs framing them in glass? Additionally, how does laminating compare to acrylic printing (not printing on actual acrylic, but there's that process they do, which I forget what it's called)?

Thanks

scho

Hi Carl,

What is the advantage of laminating prints vs framing them in glass? Additionally, how does laminating compare to acrylic printing (not printing on actual acrylic, but there's that process they do, which I forget what it's called)?

Thanks
Glass is heavy and can potentially break resulting in print damage.

algrove

Scho

I know this is an old thread, but it seems this is perfect for what I want which is to be able to switch out my prints from time to time.

What is not clear to me is if I do not laminate, how thick a foam board and matting might the frame accept and still snap back into place again with the provided UV PVC in place?

scho

Scho

I know this is an old thread, but it seems this is perfect for what I want which is to be able to switch out my prints from time to time.

What is not clear to me is if I do not laminate, how thick a foam board and matting might the frame accept and still snap back into place again with the provided UV PVC in place?
Sorry for not responding sooner, but I haven't checked in on this thread for awhile. I tried putting a mounted and matted print (1/4 inch foam board with thin overlay mat 1/16 inch) and although the moulding snapped down OK there is then a space showing in the diagonal cut corner bevels, so foam board is not going to work well. I also display canvas prints (just sprayed with fixative or waxed for protection) with only a thin backing board and no glazing (example waxed 11x17 inch canvas print in snap frame)