The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Protecting inkjet prints on canvas

DougDolde

Don't waste your money on Breathing Color's overpriced and overhyped Timesless varnish. This stuff is half the price and can be thinned with 25% water. Brush or use a foam roller

IMG_9316.JPG

kdphotography

What about HVLP spray options with Liquitex? HVLP spray is much faster, easier, and consistent than rolling..... I assume there are other available finishes than simply matte?

ken

DougDolde

After using this some more today a few observations,. was coating some small 18x24 prints on canvas which were dry mounted to a board with Miracle Muck..

It went on very smoothly with a 3" nylon brush right out of the container. It was thinned with 25% water but still a but thicker than Timeless Matte. Just brush it on liberally but not too much, brush it out as smoothly as you can. Looks milky when applied but dries extremely fast and transparent in like 10 minutes. Leaves a smooth even finish thats slightly tactile.

If you thought Timeless was easy to apply this is even easier. Just be sure your ink is dry, overnight best. I was getting tired of those $100 gallons of Timeless it goes fast. Actually I think the Liquitex goes further with a brush than a roller. Rollers soak up a lot and its just wasted

kdphotography

Thanks, Doug. I'm looking for alternatives to Glamour II and Timeless. Premier Art Canvas and Clearstar Canvas are viable parallel offerings, but I don't have experience with these products yet. Pricing is similar.

The Liquitex product seems to be used more for embellishing than for canvas protection prior to stretching? I can't find much in my cursory search for Liquitex being used in the same manner as Timeless or Glamour II as protectants/sealants prior to stretching (protect the edges and corners from the stretching process).

Do you have other resources you can direct me to?

Ken

DougDolde

Just the Dick Blick site

I am going to stretch some canvas but will paint on the Liquitex after I stretch. Otherwise its stiffer and makes the already a bitch of folding corners correctly even harder.

The finish looks as good as timeless matte. totally disappears in 10-15 minutes and has a very slight "tooth" when you run your finger over it.

Give it a try just buy a 32 oz can and go for it. I recommend a 3" nylon paintbrush