Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica replaces C1 with LR

Post Thanks / Like

Leica replaces C1 with LR

Consensus has been that Capture One is the best developer for the M8 's DNG files, both for color rendition and the resolved detail. Comparisons I have made have confirmed this for me.
    Especially the excess magenta in reds and skin, which can only be improved in LR using the Camera Raw profile or making one using the DNG profile editor.
    Which brings me to the question of why Leica will now be shipping their new cameras with LR???
    Commercial/economic reasons, the new sensors, or improved LR profiles or a combination of these?

Anybody have any ideas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica replaces C1 with LR

I think it was all business.
    I imagine that once Phase One realized that Leica was working to compete directly in its own patch it seemed to them that there was not adequate compensation, so the "deal" between the companies collapsed.
    -bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that it will lead to Leica optimized profiles for LR.
    If this is the case I will be happy since I prefer LR handling to that of c1.
    I have felt some need for new c1-profiles for the M8 as well. I prefer the c1 detail, but for skin and people I prefer the LR color for M8 files. C1 sometimes looks a little "clinical and cold" to me.

ddk

I was told by a Leica rep that Phase had decided not to support Leica S2 with C1. I should have asked for clarification but I didn't, now I'm not sure what this actually means. Does it mean that Leica dng files will not be supported by C1 or just that they can't bundle it with their cameras?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I think it was all business.
    I imagine that once Phase One realized that Leica was working to compete directly in its own patch it seemed to them that there was not adequate compensation, so the "deal" between the companies collapsed.
    -bob
    Or...

If you remember when you first registered C1 for the M8, you had to put in your name, address, email, product, and serial number. Do you think Leica wants P1 having a complete mailing list of S2 customers at its disposal?

Or....

If you're Leica, how do you know that your software partner who is also your hardware competitor will do their best to make your files look as good as possible. Or, maybe they could make them look just a little less than perfect.

The fact is that both of these concerns caused Leica to abandon the deal (first hand info here). They started working with Adobe in December 2008, about two months into their "alliance" with P1. I'd expect the LR conversions of the S2 to be pretty solid.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    I was told by a Leica rep that Phase had decided not to support Leica S2 with C1. I should have asked for clarification but I didn't, now I'm not sure what this actually means. Does it mean that Leica dng files will not be supported by C1 or just that they can't bundle it with their cameras?
    C1 v4.8.2 reads S2 DNGs and will import them. They may not support it in the future, but the current version does.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    C1 v4.8.2 reads S2 DNGs and will import them. They may not support it in the future, but the current version does.

David
    Care to share your S2 DNGs???

I know there are a lot of people anxious to see actual raw files.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    maybe they're not good enough by now...? If they would be outstanding I'm sure we would have seen some.
    BTW: it's the same with files of the P65+ with a HR or Digitar lens at large movements compared to a P45... there's nothing on the web even if you ask for ;-)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

See my signature....

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    maybe they're not good enough by now...? If they would be outstanding I'm sure we would have seen some.
    BTW: it's the same with files of the P65+ with a HR or Digitar lens at large movements compared to a P45... there's nothing on the web even if you ask for ;-)
    We haven't posted one because doing such tests (up to the level that we require of ourselves) are very time consuming. Check out the extensive list of tests we have done and think about the many days of work required to capture, process, and post these tests, as well as the difficulty of having the required equipment in one place at one time.

Our company has a standing offer to any photographer to come to our studios in Atlanta or Miami, or attend one of the GetDPI workshops which we attend. At the studio/workshop we will make all possible efforts to gather any requested equipment for free testing and without editorial restraints (i.e. you can post your results without our involvement).

I know that doesn't help you since you're so far away, but maybe you could justify the Oregon workshop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We haven't posted one because doing such tests (up to the level that we require of ourselves) are very time consuming.
    totally understandable!
    I know that doesn't help you since you're so far away, but maybe you could justify the Oregon workshop?
    well, that could certainly be fun. But a bit lavish just to test the P65... Phaseone (Germany) is 15 minutes from my home and they are very nice guys; so I could test it here. I just don't want to make a lot of fuss especially as I am not going to buy a P65. At least not in the near future.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    But a bit lavish just to test the P65.
    Well there is the alcohol! There are some pretty strong opinions on these trips as to what the best drink at the end of a day of shooting is. My vote is a good scotch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well there is the alcohol! There are some pretty strong opinions on these trips as to what the best drink at the end of a day of shooting is. My vote is a good scotch.
    so that would be around 4K for the flight plus the workshop plus ... plus...
    Is the scotch that good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is the scotch that good?

You know at least three or four people are going to say, "Yes."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let's put it this way Steve, if your coming I will break out the JW Blue label at 250 a bottle. Than Jack always has his preferred Gin Hendricks. Have to watch Bob though he will surprise both of us with something really out there and special.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com