The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone tried an Intuos 4 tablet?

D

ddk

I have an Intuos 3 tablet that I never use but the Intuos 4 seems like it solved the things that annoyed me

1. Left handed use (now can plug in from either direction so express keys are handy)
2. Express keys have changeable LED labels and change by application so you can see what the keys do

If you own it do you like it are is it all good or are there annoying aspects to using it?
Hi Terry,

There's enough cable on the 3 that positioning should not be a real issue, I don't really understand why its such a hindrance to you. Intuoso 3 is quite a fantastic product, the 4 seems to have a few more bells and whistles but I don't really see any difference in the way that they work. IMO if you're not using your 3, the 4 is not going to change anything for you. Personally, I use my tablets all the time and even travel with them, but I don't ever recall using them with LR or LR2.

Terry

The express keys were on the left and I hold the pen on the left so I couldn't use those keys very easily. Perhaps I wasn't using it right but they have certainly made the case that the 4 works better for lefties.

N

nei1

Terry,its nice to know that some one considers us lefties,maybe we should make a list of products that dont penalize us.

D

ddk

The express keys were on the left and I hold the pen on the left so I couldn't use those keys very easily. Perhaps I wasn't using it right but they have certainly made the case that the 4 works better for lefties.
On the 3 they had the keys on both sides of the tablet, unless you have the smallest one with only one set of keys on the left. With the 4 its a strip of keys and a wheel only on the left side of it but the tablet is reversible. This is slightly better ergonomics and might enhance the experience a bit but it doesn't change the actual purpose or the way that you use a pen and tablet. Besides the joy and/or motivation that sometimes comes with of a new acquisition, I don't see how the 4 will change things for you if you haven't used your 3, they really do the exact same job equally well.

Terry

On the 3 they had the keys on both sides of the tablet, unless you have the smallest one with only one set of keys on the left. With the 4 its a strip of keys and a wheel only on the left side of it but the tablet is reversible. This is slightly better ergonomics and might enhance the experience a bit but it doesn't change the actual purpose or the way that you use a pen and tablet. Besides the joy and/or motivation that sometimes comes with of a new acquisition, I don't see how the 4 will change things for you if you haven't used your 3, they really do the exact same job equally well.
I had a small 3 with only the one strip. I like using the pen I just bought the wrong model of the unit and could never get it situated correctly in my NY working space and I definitely couldn't fit a larger one. I like that the medium on the 4 has the tags right on the keys for what they do and now in SF I have a better work area. There is always ebay for the 3 and even the 4 if I'm not using it. I will be back in NY next week getting my apartment ready "staged" for sale so I'm sure you will see a bunch of things in the buy/sell section or on ebay or donated! Maybe I should list my apartment on the buy sell.....sure saves a lot in brokers commission! :grin:

This all started as I was looking to replace a mouse and looking around for one I really liked. :rolleyes:

Godfrey

That's how these things happen :D
LOL ...

I have an Intuos3, cant remember the size but it's the right size for me. I've had it for some years.

I use it a bit in Photoshop when I really need to do careful selections, which is rarely, and I use it in Lightroom when I'm working a photo that requires a lot of careful selective brushing.

I find it awkward to use an absolute position input device any other time and prefer a simple mouse (yes, one with only one button ;-) ...

But that's me. Others differ.

bradhusick

I have a lovely Wacom Cintiq 12WX that I have used for 20 minutes or so, then put back in the box. I just don't do the pixel pushing that I used to do. It was a revelation though, doing a selection on someone's eye or teeth by drawing directly on the photo. It's so much more intuitive than a regular tablet.

$800 to a good home (20% off).

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/cintiq-12wx.php

Terry

I have a lovely Wacom Cintiq 12WX that I have used for 20 minutes or so, then put back in the box. I just don't do the pixel pushing that I used to do. It was a revelation though, doing a selection on someone's eye or teeth by drawing directly on the photo. It's so much more intuitive than a regular tablet.

$800 to a good home (20% off).

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/cintiq-12wx.php
I actually would love to have it Brad....however, it will cost me a lot more than $800. I am running a 30" cinema display off of a 15" MBP and as far as I know it is impossible to run both which means I would need to buy a MacPro :cussing:

D

dmcnickle

Terry,
I have an Intuos4 6x8 and am a lefty. It works a lot better than the Intuos3, especially for us lefties. I would highly recommend it. It also works flawlessly with my MacBook Pro. I thought about the Cintiq but didn't because of the same reasons as you.
Denise

iiiNelson

Almost a year ago I wrote to Apple asking them to make the trackpad on the laptops as a standalone external input device. I can't believe they don't sell it for all of their iMac and MacPro users.
Wacom make the Bamboo Touch. I just came from the store with one so I will try it out on the desktop to see how similar it is to the Trackpad. I prefer a dual setup with a mouse and the trackpad. Some are better for some things than the other. The mouse is more precise and faster to move onscreen while the trackpad allows quick gestures for multiple functions.