Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aaargh - C1 colours in ACR/LR

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Aaargh - C1 colours in ACR/LR

Your right the DNG does not stick with ACR for example. I actually never use that myself
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sluggishness is usually caused by either a bad installation of the software, a computer with no available ram (though just 2gb of ram in the machine with nothing else launched is more than enough), or, as Thomas mentions, the background building of thumbnails and previews.

C1 is very very fast. Thomas' time of 15 seconds for five adjustments on 300 files (39 megapixel 16 bit files with extra proprietary data to process), including a Color Editor profile which is pretty math intensive is about what I expect.

Sounds like you have a problem which can be fixed, rather than experience with issues that are inherent to the program.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    background building of thumbnails and previews.
    C1 doesn't adress all computer performance for the preview creation. The processors/cores run at about 50%. If you start to edit on the first image the preview creation is even slowed down a bit more. So there seems to be a kind of "prioritiy" to editing. I.e: though C1 has to bulit the previews you can directly start with editing on the first captures (I'm not sure if that is right in a technical sense but that's how it feels like).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I don't remember checking that all the previews had been finished (how would I know?) and no doubt they were not given that I was opening a folder of RAWs and immediately trying to apply profiles. I'll try again on a new folder.

Let's see...

It's possible but I have no indication of when I'm allowed to do stuff, just hung on me again, applied the changes to 300 files, waited a couple of minutes, until all the new thumbnails were refreshed. Moment I click on one, C1 freezes dead.

I know I'm being lazy but before uninstalling and reinstalling, where do I find my keyboard profile and the 'style' I made in XP so I can back them up?
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 15th September 2009 at 08:42.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

dmcnickle

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post

We should really talk (or you could take our screen-sharing based online training)

[font="Arial"]Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Not to hijack this thread, but are you going to have the same workshops in October? I want to take the beginning one that was held today but got into town late last night and couldn't get organized early enough this morning to take it?
    Denise

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Been doing some more playing, no doubt about it, the ACR highlight recovery is a lot better than C1, C1 gives up long before ACR is still recovering perfect good detail and if you need to hit the slider above 50 you start getting clown colours in C1. Blacks seem to go blue very quickly when using the brighness slider.

Still got a long way to go to know how to bully this program into thinking 'me'!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnickle View Post
    Doug,
    Not to hijack this thread, but are you going to have the same workshops in October? I want to take the beginning one that was held today but got into town late last night and couldn't get organized early enough this morning to take it?
    Denise
    Probably not October, but maybe November.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Argh! I didn't think this thread was going to be about C1 and good color. The magenta-ish skintones with my A900 are the only reason I'm not using C1 (I know others with the same problem.) Doug, any news on a fix coming? It is driving me batty, and I want to buy the program.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Argh! I didn't think this thread was going to be about C1 and good color. The magenta-ish skintones with my A900 are the only reason I'm not using C1 (I know others with the same problem.) Doug, any news on a fix coming? It is driving me batty, and I want to buy the program.
    magenta-ish reds are quite common with a lot of DSLRs IMO. But this is something that can easily be corrected with a customized camera profile that you can make with the Color Editor in C1 pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    magenta-ish reds are quite common with a lot of DSLRs IMO. But this is something that can easily be corrected with a customized camera profile that you can make with the Color Editor in C1 pro.

I'll look into that, thanks. I'm trying out DxO, Raw Therapee, C1, Sony IDC, and Lightroom currently, and while they all certainly render skin tones differently, C1 is WAY off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll look into that, thanks. I'm trying out DxO, Raw Therapee, C1, Sony IDC, and Lightroom currently, and while they all certainly render skin tones differently, C1 is WAY off.
    You might try this: http://tinyurl.com/q96ygl
    Put it in user/library/colorsync/profiles so it will show up as an A900 camera profile in the pulldown menu of C1.
    I don't know if that works… I have no file of the A900 and just downloaded some color checker captures of the A900 on imaging-resource.
    If you'd like to upload a portrait (raw file) I could make a profile as a starting point for you.
    But at least by switching to this profile you should see a color change that is roughly in the right direction… I hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Jamesmd

Just a stupid question , shouldn't sony idc be the best for the sony ?

I had a try at it , never had , and its not a fast comfortable program , but conversion looks very good to me . and colors are very very close to real .

What do you think ?

cheers

james

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IMO, IDC is good for color, but not so great for demoisacing. I've been spending some time with DxO the last couple of weeks, and I may end up switching to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Put it in user/library/colorsync/profiles so it will show up as an A900 camera profile in the pulldown menu of C1.
    I don't know if that works… I have no file of the A900 and just downloaded some color checker captures of the A900 on imaging-resource.
    If you'd like to upload a portrait (raw file) I could make a profile as a starting point for you.
    But at least by switching to this profile you should see a color change that is roughly in the right direction… I hope.
    I just wanted to say thanks again. Your quick profiles are much better than the standard A900 profile in C1, and it gives me a good starting point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just wanted to say thanks again. Your quick profiles are much better than the standard A900 profile in C1, and it gives me a good starting point.
    that's fine, you're welcome.
    Basically you just twist the magentas and reds a bit towards yellow/green. Finetuning with adjustment of saturation and lightness of the respective colors. The strength of C1's color editor is that the color adjustments work on the level of the input profile - this is why you will be able to adjust super fine transitions without color clipping or other unwanted side effects. This is completely different to other RAW converters (not so much regarding the handling of the tool, but regarding the resulting quality). Too, you can choose either to save your settings as a new camera profile or just as a setting in the color editor (technically it's the same).

Jamesmd

Thomas , thanks , I tried it too , and its good for me as well.

cheers

James

Post Thanks / Like

works great. takes out just the right amount of magenta.. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm glad it works fine. It was pure estimation based on the Gretag-Target of the A900 preproduction-model RAW-files from imaging-resource.com.
    So I think some finetuning is still worthwhile... look at lips or other reds... sometimes they might look washed out. But that's easy to fix with the color editor in C1...
    Too, it's worth a try to look at the four skintone profiles of the H25 ... though a totally different camera these profiles are awesome sometimes.

Jamesmd

thomas , it's great you say that , H25 outdoor daylight is the one I use almost always with the a900 ( for daylight )). I like it a lot .

Cheers

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's hilarious how much closer Thomas' quick profile for the A900 is when compared to Phase One's own profile. Did Phase even shoot any targets with the camera?

Jamesmd

yes Douglas ,I was thinking the same this morning , ist like they said lets make it recognize camera , open file and thats it .

james

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's hilarious how much closer Thomas' quick profile for the A900 is when compared to Phase One's own profile. Did Phase even shoot any targets with the camera?
    yes, they do. Problem here is that generic profiles are always quite "big". They are averaged to cover different lighting conditions. Downside is that these profiles are never really accurate. Upside is that they are quite usuable as a starting point for a lot of lighting conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I get what you're saying, Thomas, but the generic A900 C1 profile is MUCH more magenta than the generic profiles from LR, RT, DXO, and IDC (the main converters Ive tested.) Either way, it's an easy fix.

apras

wow really the profiles make big difference. i like how the H25 outdoor colours. but how do i apply the profiles to the other files? the copy and apply doesnt copy the ICC profiles.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason, I cannot find the path "user/library/colorsync/profiles" in my Vista machine, hence cannot get it to show up in the pulldown menu C1. I am using C1 v4 and not the pro version, does it make a difference? Any help will be appreciated.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by francishmt View Post
    For some reason, I cannot find the path "user/library/colorsync/profiles" in my Vista machine, hence cannot get it to show up in the pulldown menu C1. I am using C1 v4 and not the pro version, does it make a difference? Any help will be appreciated.....
    should work.
    I honestly can't remember the path on Vista.
    It's somehwere in C/applications/Phase One/Capture One... profiles?
    Just search for SonyA900-generic.icm on your system... you have to put it in the same folder.

Post Thanks / Like

should work.
    I honestly can't remember the path on Vista.
    It's somehwere in C/applications/Phase One/Capture One... profiles?
    Just search for SonyA900-generic.icm on your system... you have to put it in the same folder.
    Gotcha! Thanks.