Site Sponsors

Thread: C1 4.8.3 - positively shocked

Post Thanks / Like

C1 4.8.3 - positively shocked

As a long-time Aperture user, I fired up this week C1 4.8.3;

I had used C1 before I migrated to Aperture as soon as it came out - main motivation was the more complete set of workflow capabilities and the great view/compare features in Aperture, as well as a basic backup support.

I installed C1 on the weekend when I was traveling in Paris and it was the only raw converter I had used before and my Thinkpad would accept. (At home, I am running a PowerMac G5).

Observations & questions:

a) Shocked how much better color balance looks; skin tones much better for my M8 files

b) Shocked how much better sharpness/detail is.

Question: 130/0.8/1 seems a bit strong as default sharpening values for C1. What do you folks use as default?

c) C1 4.8.3 complains about my PowerMac G5 (OSX 10.5.8) is unsupported hardware, but it runs fine.
    Question: Has anybody experienced problems with a G5 PowerMac and C1?

In the past, Raw Developer produced clearly more details out of my M8 files. C1 might be my new go-to raw software for special images.

Best - Peter

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: C1 4.8.3 - positively shocked

A+B1) Nice to see other people independently discover what we've been preaching for several years: C1 processing algorithms are fantastic.

B2) If I'm making a large print then I turn sharpening to the preset "pre-sharpening 1" and then do the remaining sharpening after processing/retouching/resizing/preparing-for-print.

C) Yes, you will almost certainly notice a few quirks if you use enough of the features enough time; the PowerPC architecture is NOT supported officially, but it does seem to work pretty darn well in most instances - yours apparently is running ok, and if so, ignore the official recommendations until and unless you find a bug which stops you from getting work done. The speed of C1 is also greatly improved by the Intel architecture, so you're missing out on some of the speed.

Raw Developer, written by one of the true processing geniuses of our time, is absolutely fantastic as well. C1 provides the same league of quality (one or the other might be a skotch better for any given file) with a lot more features and workflow speed.

Capture One 5 will bring even more workflow/speed advantages to place on top of the fundamental core of extremely high quality image conversion.

C1 is much much faster/better at image editing/adjusting than most people give it credit for because many of the workflow techniques which will let you work very quickly are not well documented and often vary pretty heavily from conventional (read: Adobe and Apple) workflow techniques. You may find one of our upcoming classes helpful in this regard. We just concluded a round of training but will be scheduling another round shortly after the release of Capture One 5.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What Doug said except: for sharpening that is less aggressive on noise and sensor artifacts, use Pre-1 and bump the threshold up to 2 (so to 200/0.5/2).
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    A+B1) Nice to see other people independently discover what we've been preaching for several years: C1 processing algorithms are fantastic.

B2) If I'm making a large print then I turn sharpening to the preset "pre-sharpening 1" and then do the remaining sharpening after processing/retouching/resizing/preparing-for-print.

C) Yes, you will almost certainly notice a few quirks if you use enough of the features enough time; the PowerPC architecture is NOT supported officially, but it does seem to work pretty darn well in most instances - yours apparently is running ok, and if so, ignore the official recommendations until and unless you find a bug which stops you from getting work done. The speed of C1 is also greatly improved by the Intel architecture, so you're missing out on some of the speed.

Raw Developer, written by one of the true processing geniuses of our time, is absolutely fantastic as well. C1 provides the same league of quality (one or the other might be a skotch better for any given file) with a lot more features and workflow speed.

Capture One 5 will bring even more workflow/speed advantages to place on top of the fundamental core of extremely high quality image conversion.

C1 is much much faster/better at image editing/adjusting than most people give it credit for because many of the workflow techniques which will let you work very quickly are not well documented and often vary pretty heavily from conventional (read: Adobe and Apple) workflow techniques. You may find one of our upcoming classes helpful in this regard. We just concluded a round of training but will be scheduling another round shortly after the release of Capture One 5.

Hey Doug, I may take you up on that class once C1-5 is out.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use pre-sharpen 1 as is and rarely sharpen anymore after processing. Unless it is a landscape or something that can handle any extra.

My one hope is C1 5 is 64 bit and can take advantage of snow leopard. Reason being is I only work on a laptop so I am limited to 2 cores. Even though my machine is souped up it won't match a Mac Pro
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having a C1 simple question i might as well post it here: i'm in the process of evaluating C1 as my main (sole?) RAW developer, but among other things is there any way to avoid C1 Pro creating of new set of folders / subfolders in every folder where it reads files?
    And preferrably have, not unlike the output folder, a fixed set of temp folders for scratch etc.?

For someone used to keep a strict, clean folder/file naming it's really disturbing.

(btw hopefully v5 will be 64-bit for PC, too)
    Last edited by Corlan F.; 30th September 2009 at 07:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, while we're at it: is there a link somewhere listing precisely the differences between C1 Standard and Pro versions?
    I've downloaded the Pro trial version and results are quite fine. Phase One website is unclear (or i couldn't find the info), and shooting DSLR i was wondering if the main additional features were not simply aimed at MFDB...

Trial period ends in a few days, sio i have to take a decision soon...

Thanks

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Corlan,
    I have my C1 set to output all images to a single folder ~/Pictures/photos/Capture One Exports and that is set in the output profile. You can set one up for JPEGs and one for TIFFs. The Pro version has tethering and the ability to process multiple output profiles simultaneously as well as having no limit on the batch size.

Doug, you are welcome to chime in here anytime and correct/corroborate my findings...
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Corlan,
    I have my C1 set to output all images to a single folder ~/Pictures/photos/Capture One Exports and that is set in the output profile. You can set one up for JPEGs and one for TIFFs. The Pro version has tethering and the ability to process multiple output profiles simultaneously as well as having no limit on the batch size.

Doug, you are welcome to chime in here anytime and correct/corroborate my findings...
    Thanks Carlos.

I indeed found how to configure an single Output folder, what i was wondering was whether the automatic creation of C1 working folders/subfolders pretty much everywhere was configurable to a unique drive location. Sorry for the confusion.

Re the Pro version, if it's limited to what you list here then a DSLR user w/o regular huge batches shouldn't bother using the standard version?
    I kinda remember reading "something somewhere" about non implemented functionalities like the skin tone adjustment for example... not sure though.

(for some reason my PC does not let me install both versions for direct comparison)

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some differences between the versions from the Manual (I don't think the list is complete). Also, not all features are available for Windows.

Attachment 22835

Click for larger version

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Is there a firm/tentative release date for Capture One 5 ? Also, if you get 4 and then 5 becomes available what would be the upgrade options?

I hope this is appropriate to post here. If not I apologize.

Thank You.

AS

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

October 28, tentative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by A.Sattler View Post
    Hello,

Is there a firm/tentative release date for Capture One 5 ? Also, if you get 4 and then 5 becomes available what would be the upgrade options?

I hope this is appropriate to post here. If not I apologize.

Thank You.

AS

It's a great question I know from what I heard the upgrade for registered users is 100 dollars.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    ....is there a link somewhere listing precisely the differences between C1 Standard and Pro versions? .....
    IIRC the user manual you can download from the Phasone website explains the PRO features in better details than just the chart, and all PRO features are indicated clearly in the manual so you know what you are missing by using the regular version -
    Phil

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, while we're at it: is there a link somewhere listing precisely the differences between C1 Standard and Pro versions?
    Our (Capture Integration's) Article on Capture One vs. Capture One Pro

Among the most important are the Color Editor, Skin Tone Tool, Clarity, Workspace Customization. Full list of the differences above.

Having a C1 simple question i might as well post it here: i'm in the process of evaluating C1 as my main (sole?) RAW developer, but among other things is there any way to avoid C1 Pro creating of new set of folders / subfolders in every folder where it reads files?
    And preferrably have, not unlike the output folder, a fixed set of temp folders for scratch etc.?
    No there is not. Capture One uses a distributed database of cache/settings files rather than a centralized database.

The major advantage is the cache/settings travel with your Session (a.k.a. project in Aperture) without any extra effort. The major disadvantage is that there are a whole lot of "Capture One" folders created on your hard drive. I know how you feel about this in that I am the kind of guy who gets really annoyed when people use 55 seconds of a minute timer on the microwave and don't clear the extra time off afterwards. However, if you "just deal with it" you'll find there is no real harm to having these folders created.

Post Thanks / Like

CMB & Guy,
    Thank you for the info. That should give me plenty of time to try the free demo. If it works for me then I can wait and pick up the new version.
    I will be a first time user, is there anything That's not obvious I should know, or just download and enjoy?

Thank you again.

AS

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks cmb, Phil and Doug for your input.
    Obviously even for a DSLR user the Pro version has a lot of... pros.

Too bad for the wallet though.
    (again...)

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    No there is not. Capture One uses a distributed database of cache/settings files rather than a centralized database.

The major advantage is the cache/settings travel with your Session (a.k.a. project in Aperture) without any extra effort. The major disadvantage is that there are a whole lot of "Capture One" folders created on your hard drive. I know how you feel about this in that I am the kind of guy who gets really annoyed when people use 55 seconds of a minute timer on the microwave and don't clear the extra time off afterwards. However, if you "just deal with it" you'll find there is no real harm to having these folders created.
    ok, that's what i thought, got to deal with it then.
    Thanks for this extra info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by A.Sattler View Post
    CMB & Guy,
    Thank you for the info. That should give me plenty of time to try the free demo. If it works for me then I can wait and pick up the new version.
    I will be a first time user, is there anything That's not obvious I should know, or just download and enjoy?

Thank you again.

AS
    Yea Al if your in that zone to buy today than maybe get a free download trial and wait it out until Version 5 hits the public. Actually you can contact Doug also on that purchase if you wanted too support one of the vendors here. Besides he is always willing to help people. One of the reasons we have CI come to or workshops. Doug handles a lot of the CI training and gear demo's

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering whether there is a way to get C1 to directly convert into b/w without the help of things such as the JFI b/w-profiles...?

Maybe via the color-editor?

Best - Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nitnaros View Post
    Just wondering whether there is a way to get C1 to directly convert into b/w without the help of things such as the JFI b/w-profiles...?

Maybe via the color-editor?

Best - Peter
    It actually has built-in B&W profiles already -- just call them up and see which you prefer -- couldn't be easier!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter they do have Styles in the tabs . A whole host of options there . Try the yellow filter one. I like that the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    What Doug said except: for sharpening that is less aggressive on noise and sensor artifacts, use Pre-1 and bump the threshold up to 2 (so to 200/0.5/2).
    Jack -- i jotted down your recommended settings for C1 sharpening (in regards to the M8) to be 98/0.4/1.0. did i get that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    It's a great question I know from what I heard the upgrade for registered users is 100 dollars.
    any chance of a discount for those of us that bought it less than five months ago? (pretty please, powers that be?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure Cam. For me I should pay been 4 years now of upgrades and being that old i should pay dearly. LOL

Guess we have to wait for some official word

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, Guy,
    The b/w modes available via styles, I know and use.
    I actually like the panchromatic one.

I was just looking for freaking total control a la channel mixer, a way to exactly specify the amount of each RGB channel going into the b/w conversion.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Version 5 Peter will have RGB control back , I think I saw Doug or Dave mention on some of the specs on it. Doug knows more about this than I at the moment. Hopefully he can answer this

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase One has always been pretty generous with it's pricing for software.

First and foremost any digital back users can always and will always be able to use the Digital-back-only version of the software for free (and without licensing/registration).

As for the price for C1 5 and C1 5 Pro and the pricing for upgrades from various previous versions: nothing is set in stone yet. However, it is likely to continue the trend of pretty generous pricing and upgrade policies.

Official pricing will be set in stone close to release at which point all of those questions can be answered.

Capture Integration does indeed sell Capture One and Capture One Pro including any and all upgrades.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Version 5 Peter will have RGB control back , I think I saw Doug or Dave mention on some of the specs on it. Doug knows more about this than I at the moment. Hopefully he can answer this
    Absolutely. Individual RGB sliders for C1 are confirmed.

There are really quite a few great new features coming in C1 5. Even more very small tweaks to refine the program and increase workflow speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome Doug, thanks for confirming that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    any chance of a discount for those of us that bought it less than five months ago? (pretty please, powers that be?)
    When I bought C1Pro about 3 1/2 years ago (ver 3.5xx I think) it came with 3 major upgrades. The upgrade from 3.x to 4.x was considered a major upgrade so up until this time I have only used one of the three alloted upgrades. I am not sure if this purchasing policy is still in effect.

If you have registered your product on the Phase One web site you can log in to your account and under License Management you can see how many upgrades are available for each product you own and the number of activations left as well as the activation/deactivation history.

Give it a spin.

P.S. I am not the powers that be, though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woohoo! I just checked and i have two major upgrades left!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    When I bought C1Pro about 3 1/2 years ago (ver 3.5xx I think) it came with 3 major upgrades. The upgrade from 3.x to 4.x was considered a major upgrade so up until this time I have only used one of the three alloted upgrades. I am not sure if this purchasing policy is still in effect.

If you have registered your product on the Phase One web site you can log in to your account and under License Management you can see how many upgrades are available for each product you own and the number of activations left as well as the activation/deactivation history.

Give it a spin.

P.S. I am not the powers that be, though.
    thank you! i have 2 upgrades left! happy dance

i love C1 so it's a no brainer that i will continue using it and i totally think it's worth the cost. i was just cranky about possibly of having to pay for an ugrade so soon as i have one tricky lens at Solms and another that has to go into another shop for tightening money is a bit tight even as i see everybody around me buying the M9, sigh. i got to fondle one as a birthday present yesterday...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I noticed on the specs somewhere that C1-5 will have built-in watermarking. Finally!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea Al if your in that zone to buy today than maybe get a free download trial and wait it out until Version 5 hits the public. Actually you can contact Doug also on that purchase if you wanted too support one of the vendors here. Besides he is always willing to help people. One of the reasons we have CI come to or workshops. Doug handles a lot of the CI training and gear demo's
    Thanks Guy,
    I was actually thinking about that before I read your post. I went to Capture Integration's website but couldn't find any software for sale. The smart thing to do would probably be to e-mail Doug directly, no ?
    This is a very good idea anyways, as I have never used/purchased this type of product and I have some, probably silly, beginner's questions.

Thank again for your help.

AS

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes give Doug a shout through e-mail. Although his RRS feed today said there Miami beach office is moving to a downtown location for better access to airport. So he maybe delayed a day. I just sent him a e-mail on another matter but here is the RRS feed info:

Capture Integration’s Miami office has moved from South Beach to Downtown Miami to provide better access from the airport.

We are proud to be a leading destination for photographers from across the country and across the world who wish to try the best photographic equipment in the world in person. Our new location already has two appointments in it’s first week to show Phase One backs in real-world shoots (including with a model, lighting, and an assistant).

The office will be closed Thursday October 1 and most of Friday October 2 for the move.

Please call 305.534.5701 to schedule an appointment to come see the new facility.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We are adding purchase of the software through our website later this month. Until then we sell it by phone - you give us a CC number and we give you a Capture One license.

If you can, I'd wait a few weeks until final policies on C15 pricing are set in stone.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

The online seminars are not very practical for us Europeans. Not only because of the time difference, but also because not all of us are at ease with spoken American language. Do you also sell simple video tutorials (i.e. not "live"), or written tutorials?
    -- Bernard