The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 4.8.3 - positively shocked

Nitnaros

As a long-time Aperture user, I fired up this week C1 4.8.3;

I had used C1 before I migrated to Aperture as soon as it came out - main motivation was the more complete set of workflow capabilities and the great view/compare features in Aperture, as well as a basic backup support.

I installed C1 on the weekend when I was traveling in Paris and it was the only raw converter I had used before and my Thinkpad would accept. (At home, I am running a PowerMac G5).

Observations & questions:

a) Shocked how much better color balance looks; skin tones much better for my M8 files

b) Shocked how much better sharpness/detail is.

Question: 130/0.8/1 seems a bit strong as default sharpening values for C1. What do you folks use as default?

c) C1 4.8.3 complains about my PowerMac G5 (OSX 10.5.8) is unsupported hardware, but it runs fine.
Question: Has anybody experienced problems with a G5 PowerMac and C1?

In the past, Raw Developer produced clearly more details out of my M8 files. C1 might be my new go-to raw software for special images.

Best - Peter

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
A+B1) Nice to see other people independently discover what we've been preaching for several years: C1 processing algorithms are fantastic.

B2) If I'm making a large print then I turn sharpening to the preset "pre-sharpening 1" and then do the remaining sharpening after processing/retouching/resizing/preparing-for-print.

C) Yes, you will almost certainly notice a few quirks if you use enough of the features enough time; the PowerPC architecture is NOT supported officially, but it does seem to work pretty darn well in most instances - yours apparently is running ok, and if so, ignore the official recommendations until and unless you find a bug which stops you from getting work done. The speed of C1 is also greatly improved by the Intel architecture, so you're missing out on some of the speed.

Raw Developer, written by one of the true processing geniuses of our time, is absolutely fantastic as well. C1 provides the same league of quality (one or the other might be a skotch better for any given file) with a lot more features and workflow speed.

Capture One 5 will bring even more workflow/speed advantages to place on top of the fundamental core of extremely high quality image conversion.

C1 is much much faster/better at image editing/adjusting than most people give it credit for because many of the workflow techniques which will let you work very quickly are not well documented and often vary pretty heavily from conventional (read: Adobe and Apple) workflow techniques. You may find one of our upcoming classes helpful in this regard. We just concluded a round of training but will be scheduling another round shortly after the release of Capture One 5.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What Doug said except: for sharpening that is less aggressive on noise and sensor artifacts, use Pre-1 and bump the threshold up to 2 (so to 200/0.5/2).

etrigan63

A+B1) Nice to see other people independently discover what we've been preaching for several years: C1 processing algorithms are fantastic.

B2) If I'm making a large print then I turn sharpening to the preset "pre-sharpening 1" and then do the remaining sharpening after processing/retouching/resizing/preparing-for-print.

C) Yes, you will almost certainly notice a few quirks if you use enough of the features enough time; the PowerPC architecture is NOT supported officially, but it does seem to work pretty darn well in most instances - yours apparently is running ok, and if so, ignore the official recommendations until and unless you find a bug which stops you from getting work done. The speed of C1 is also greatly improved by the Intel architecture, so you're missing out on some of the speed.

Raw Developer, written by one of the true processing geniuses of our time, is absolutely fantastic as well. C1 provides the same league of quality (one or the other might be a skotch better for any given file) with a lot more features and workflow speed.

Capture One 5 will bring even more workflow/speed advantages to place on top of the fundamental core of extremely high quality image conversion.

C1 is much much faster/better at image editing/adjusting than most people give it credit for because many of the workflow techniques which will let you work very quickly are not well documented and often vary pretty heavily from conventional (read: Adobe and Apple) workflow techniques. You may find one of our upcoming classes helpful in this regard. We just concluded a round of training but will be scheduling another round shortly after the release of Capture One 5.

Hey Doug, I may take you up on that class once C1-5 is out.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use pre-sharpen 1 as is and rarely sharpen anymore after processing. Unless it is a landscape or something that can handle any extra.

My one hope is C1 5 is 64 bit and can take advantage of snow leopard. Reason being is I only work on a laptop so I am limited to 2 cores. Even though my machine is souped up it won't match a Mac Pro

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Having a C1 simple question i might as well post it here: i'm in the process of evaluating C1 as my main (sole?) RAW developer, but among other things is there any way to avoid C1 Pro creating of new set of folders / subfolders in every folder where it reads files?
And preferrably have, not unlike the output folder, a fixed set of temp folders for scratch etc.?

For someone used to keep a strict, clean folder/file naming it's really disturbing.

(btw hopefully v5 will be 64-bit for PC, too)

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Oh, while we're at it: is there a link somewhere listing precisely the differences between C1 Standard and Pro versions?
I've downloaded the Pro trial version and results are quite fine. Phase One website is unclear (or i couldn't find the info), and shooting DSLR i was wondering if the main additional features were not simply aimed at MFDB...

Trial period ends in a few days, sio i have to take a decision soon...

etrigan63

Corlan,
I have my C1 set to output all images to a single folder ~/Pictures/photos/Capture One Exports and that is set in the output profile. You can set one up for JPEGs and one for TIFFs. The Pro version has tethering and the ability to process multiple output profiles simultaneously as well as having no limit on the batch size.

Doug, you are welcome to chime in here anytime and correct/corroborate my findings...

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Corlan,
I have my C1 set to output all images to a single folder ~/Pictures/photos/Capture One Exports and that is set in the output profile. You can set one up for JPEGs and one for TIFFs. The Pro version has tethering and the ability to process multiple output profiles simultaneously as well as having no limit on the batch size.

Doug, you are welcome to chime in here anytime and correct/corroborate my findings...
Thanks Carlos.

I indeed found how to configure an single Output folder, what i was wondering was whether the automatic creation of C1 working folders/subfolders pretty much everywhere was configurable to a unique drive location. Sorry for the confusion.

Re the Pro version, if it's limited to what you list here then a DSLR user w/o regular huge batches shouldn't bother using the standard version?
I kinda remember reading "something somewhere" about non implemented functionalities like the skin tone adjustment for example... not sure though.

(for some reason my PC does not let me install both versions for direct comparison)

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Some differences between the versions from the Manual (I don't think the list is complete). Also, not all features are available for Windows.

View attachment 22835

Click for larger version

A.Sattler

Hello,

Is there a firm/tentative release date for Capture One 5 ? Also, if you get 4 and then 5 becomes available what would be the upgrade options?

I hope this is appropriate to post here. If not I apologize.

Thank You.

AS

Guy Mancuso

Hello,

Is there a firm/tentative release date for Capture One 5 ? Also, if you get 4 and then 5 becomes available what would be the upgrade options?

I hope this is appropriate to post here. If not I apologize.

Thank You.

AS

It's a great question I know from what I heard the upgrade for registered users is 100 dollars.

fotoism

....is there a link somewhere listing precisely the differences between C1 Standard and Pro versions? .....
IIRC the user manual you can download from the Phasone website explains the PRO features in better details than just the chart, and all PRO features are indicated clearly in the manual so you know what you are missing by using the regular version -;)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Oh, while we're at it: is there a link somewhere listing precisely the differences between C1 Standard and Pro versions?
Our (Capture Integration's) Article on Capture One vs. Capture One Pro

Among the most important are the Color Editor, Skin Tone Tool, Clarity, Workspace Customization. Full list of the differences above.

Having a C1 simple question i might as well post it here: i'm in the process of evaluating C1 as my main (sole?) RAW developer, but among other things is there any way to avoid C1 Pro creating of new set of folders / subfolders in every folder where it reads files?
And preferrably have, not unlike the output folder, a fixed set of temp folders for scratch etc.?
No there is not. Capture One uses a distributed database of cache/settings files rather than a centralized database.

The major advantage is the cache/settings travel with your Session (a.k.a. project in Aperture) without any extra effort. The major disadvantage is that there are a whole lot of "Capture One" folders created on your hard drive. I know how you feel about this in that I am the kind of guy who gets really annoyed when people use 55 seconds of a minute timer on the microwave and don't clear the extra time off afterwards. However, if you "just deal with it" you'll find there is no real harm to having these folders created.

A.Sattler

CMB & Guy,
Thank you for the info. That should give me plenty of time to try the free demo. If it works for me then I can wait and pick up the new version.
I will be a first time user, is there anything That's not obvious I should know, or just download and enjoy?

Thank you again.

AS

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks cmb, Phil and Doug for your input.
Obviously even for a DSLR user the Pro version has a lot of... pros.

Too bad for the wallet though.
(again...) :cry: :eek:

No there is not. Capture One uses a distributed database of cache/settings files rather than a centralized database.

The major advantage is the cache/settings travel with your Session (a.k.a. project in Aperture) without any extra effort. The major disadvantage is that there are a whole lot of "Capture One" folders created on your hard drive. I know how you feel about this in that I am the kind of guy who gets really annoyed when people use 55 seconds of a minute timer on the microwave and don't clear the extra time off afterwards. However, if you "just deal with it" you'll find there is no real harm to having these folders created.
ok, that's what i thought, got to deal with it then.
Thanks for this extra info.

Guy Mancuso

CMB & Guy,
Thank you for the info. That should give me plenty of time to try the free demo. If it works for me then I can wait and pick up the new version.
I will be a first time user, is there anything That's not obvious I should know, or just download and enjoy?

Thank you again.

AS
Yea Al if your in that zone to buy today than maybe get a free download trial and wait it out until Version 5 hits the public. Actually you can contact Doug also on that purchase if you wanted too support one of the vendors here. Besides he is always willing to help people. One of the reasons we have CI come to or workshops. Doug handles a lot of the CI training and gear demo's

Nitnaros

Just wondering whether there is a way to get C1 to directly convert into b/w without the help of things such as the JFI b/w-profiles...?

Maybe via the color-editor?

Best - Peter

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering whether there is a way to get C1 to directly convert into b/w without the help of things such as the JFI b/w-profiles...?

Maybe via the color-editor?

Best - Peter
It actually has built-in B&W profiles already -- just call them up and see which you prefer -- couldn't be easier!