The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 4.7 -> 4.8.3

N

nautilus

I'm using C1 4.7 for windows. One free upgrade is left.

I would use this upgrade either when a new camera that I will buy in the future will be supported or if improvements in image processing or camera presets are included.

Are there improvements in the current vers. 4.8.3 for Sony Alpha 700?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Correct as always thomas!

Changes after the "." are updates and are always free to those who own that version.
Changes before the "." are upgrades and are either free or paid depending on the number of free upgrades you have remaining.

In other words for you starting at 4.7 all the 4.X versions are free. Capture One 5 is an upgrade and will use up your remaining "free upgrades" but will include any 5.X versions.

So do it! Just make sure to uninstall 4.7 before installing 4.8.3 for best results:
http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Conten...1158&LanguageID=1&layoutid=SupportSite - Main

I don't think you'll see any changes specific to the Sony, but you will find many small neat features as well as better speed and stability.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

Terry

Doug - the installed base of Panasonic cameras is growing and it includes some VERY dedicated C1 users. I think it is time for Phase to go back and rethink their policy given these new cameras don't have Leica counterparts.

thomas

Doug - the installed base of Panasonic cameras is growing and it includes some VERY dedicated C1 users. I think it is time for Phase to go back and rethink their policy given these new cameras don't have Leica counterparts.
First they should fix the remaining bugs and incorporate new features before they add support for every camera... IMHO

N

nautilus

That's like unexpected christmas. A new version 5 with new features. :)
Thanks for that information.

Speed and stability of the software is already good enough for me. It has never crashed and I will skip version 4.8.3.

Thanks Doug for explaining the situation about differences between updates, upgrades, free and and not free software so precisely.

I was always a bit unsure about this since I started with the free SanDisk bundled software 3.x, got version 4 for free and now I will get version 5 for free as well. That memory card was a good investment indeed. :clap:

fotoism

When I went from C1 3.x LE ( got it with M8 ) to C1 3.x was it counted as upgrade or update? How many upgrades in total are allowed for C1 3.x LE users? I have since upgraded from C1 3 to C1 4. If I want to go for C1 5 from C1 4 will it be free or paid upgrade?

Marc Wilson

i went from 3.x LE to 4 also with a free upgrade but that is it...no more freegrades to get to 5 for me..should have bought a cf card instead of the software!
As others have pointed out elsewhere you can check how many upgrades you have left by checking on the license panel in your software....capture one / license.

Marc

N

nautilus

Something is wrong with activations:
I tried to activate C1-5. I couldn't activate the new software but the message on the PC menue was: license ok, went to website.
Website info showed:
free upgrades left: one
activations left: 0, with history information about old computers

I deactivated my license and now it shows: 1 upgrade left, activations left 2
BUT: now on PC: the window says surprisingly that with my activation code no further free upgrades ('Aktualisierungen') are possible.

Tried to start C1- V4 now. Because I deactivated the license I can only run it in test mode. Shocking.

BUT: I could activate V4 again and it runs in the licensed mode again.

What I see is that allthough I have one ugrade free according to the website info and 2 activations free it's not possble to use my license for C1 Vers5.

I lost nothing but 15 minutes to find it out. But the information given in this thread is wrong. Phase One closed the doors against their own rules. The website clearly says 1 upgrade free and not 1 update free.
I don't think that I will buy the product under such circumstances.