Site Sponsors

Thread: Some C1 questions...

Post Thanks / Like

Some C1 questions...

Hi guys,

In evaluating the usability for me between capture 1 and aperture a few questions have come up.

I am not bothered about DAM really as I use iview for that. Whilst overall aperture is quicker to use in terms of speed C1 seems more like a long term product.

However a few questions have cropped up. All on MAC.

Can iptc data such as keywords etc be added on import (if not I can do it initially with photomechanic but...)The only DAM bit that interested me for my raw processing programme.

Is their a keyboard shortcut for full screen mode? (remember on mac)

Is their a way to modify the keyboard shortcuts (i.e from cntrl+command+0 to lets say Z for full zoom)

Can the browser be set to move in one long film strip along the base of the monitor, as it can vertically?

When two or more images are selected in the browser they of course show up in the viewer, but when I zoom them using the shortcut only one zooms at a time, I then need to do the other manually also. Can this be set so all zoom together which make sense as if zooming it is usually to compare two or more images? (as in iview)

Also when I then select the move tool only one moves at a time unless I also press the shift key at the same time, can this be set to automatically move all images? (again as in iview)

If I can sort these user friendly issues out then apart from the slight speed issues, which I'm sure a RAM bump will sort out, C1 will will do all that aperture can for my needs but with more frequent updates, camera support, etc.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Some C1 questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wilson View Post
    Can iptc data such as keywords etc be added on import (if not I can do it initially with photomechanic but...)
    not in V4. V5 will support IPTC.

Is their a keyboard shortcut for full screen mode?
    yes and no.
    hide tools and hide browser (so 2 shortcuts) will display the image full view (except of the menu bar on top and - if unhidden - the toolbar).

Is their a way to modify the keyboard shortcuts
    extensive, yes

Can the browser be set to move in one long film strip along the base of the monitor, as it can vertically?
    yes. it's limited by the width of the tools pane but if you hide the tools the browser goes all over the monitor.
    In addition you can use the second viewer - i.e. hide the tools in the second viewer and extend the viewer to the full monitor size.

When two or more images are selected in the browser they of course show up in the viewer, but when I zoom them using the shortcut only one zooms at a time, I then need to do the other manually also. Can this be set so all zoom together which make sense as if zooming it is usually to compare two or more images? (as in iview)
    yes. But don't select the images first and then zoom. First select one image and zoom to 100% (or whatever). Now select the images you'd like to compare and they'll be zoomed to the size of the primary image.

Also when I then select the move tool only one moves at a time unless I also press the shift key at the same time, can this be set to automatically move all images?
    I don't use the "move to" tool but I think it sould be possible with multi selsections. But am not sure.

If I can sort these user friendly issues out then apart from the slight speed issues, which I'm sure a RAM bump will sort out
    RAM is not as important as one might think... IHMO. C1 likes multi cores.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks thomas.
    they all make good sense.

Can't get the browser to scroll horizontally in one line only when at base of monitor but apart from that all good.

I'm using a powerbook 2.33 with core 2 duo and 2 gig ram.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can't get the browser to scroll horizontally in one line only when at base of monitor but apart from that all good.
    misunderstanding (for my part) - sorry. I didn't read the "scroll" horizontally. I was referring to the horizontal orientation of the browser.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully that will come in V5...so much quicker for scrolling through a large number of images.

Quick preview.
    Something I've found usefull on aperture is its quick preview mode, which is great for an initial fly through / deletion of images. Is their any similar function on C1?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm, you can call up an almost full screen 2nd window using f11 using windows, should be something similar with mac shouldn't there?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quick preview.
    Something I've found usefull on aperture is its quick preview mode, which is great for an initial fly through / deletion of images. Is their any similar function on C1?
    for example:
    hide the viewer and the tools so that the browser goes all over the monitor. Now set the thumbnail size to whatever you prefer.

Post Thanks / Like

ok.
    with the browser showing I can move thought the images using the arrow keys on my keyboard, but once i hide the browser, to show the image full screen, the arrow keys no longer work so I can't move through / view my images at full screen.
    Is this normal?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ok.
    with the browser showing I can move thought the images using the arrow keys on my keyboard, but once i hide the browser, to show the image full screen, the arrow keys no longer work so I can't move through / view my images at full screen.
    Is this normal?
    Apple-Left and Apple-Right will always move forward or backwards one image regardless of whether the browser is shown.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe