The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PS plugins on Win7 64 bits?

Rawfa

I've just upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 64 bits and after installing Photoshop CS4 none of the plug-ins I used to have are there anymore even though I've reinstalled them. To name a few I have Alien Skin, Nik and so forth. They do work if I open PS x86. Does anyone know if there's a way around this?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I've just upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 64 bits and after installing Photoshop CS4 none of the plug-ins I used to have are there anymore even though I've reinstalled them. To name a few I have Alien Skin, Nik and so forth. They do work if I open PS x86. Does anyone know if there's a way around this?
Don't know about W7, but in XP64b there's apparently no way around.

You launch PS4 64b if you want access to the full memory, and PS x86 if you need any non-64b plug-in. Including Nik, Alien Skin...

Hopefully the plug-ins should be upgraded soon (at a cost, no doubt... :mad:).

Maybe some Windows 64-bit wizard (Carlos?) knows a way around, though... but there again, i doubt it.

scatesmd

Workshop Member
Hi ,

I use Vista 64 and had the same problem with multiple plugins. I contacted a number of the software companies and was told that the plugins would need to be re-written.

What I did was install 32-bit CS4 into Vistax64, which then ran the plugins without difficulty. If this worked on XP64 for Corlan and me for Vistax64, I agree it might be worth trying on W7.

Thanks, steve

Rawfa

I've checked out Nik's website and it states that his software at the moment does not support 64bits. It's a bit of a hassle to process the raw files on PS 64b and then apply the plug-ins on PS 34b :(

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I've checked out Nik's website and it states that his software at the moment does not support 64bits. It's a bit of a hassle to process the raw files on PS 64b and then apply the plug-ins on PS 34b :(
Look at the bright side of things: using PS x86 you still enjoy a lot more available memory than on a Windows 32b OS, roughly 3.3MB effective dedicated RAM... that's a 50% to 100% bonus over 32b OS (even though they display more).

In my experience it's enough to deal with pretty large files. Of course we'd all love to use the full available memory. It'll come in time...

Knowing that RAM is only part of the equation: processor, scratch disk speed and size (and OpenGL cards in a lesser way) are really critical for improving performance.

And you can always launch PS 64b for a particular work session on extremely large files. :)

(never had to, really)

neilvan

CS4 will have installed the 32-bit and 64-bit versions automatically. I use the 64-bit version of Vista. (12GB's of triple channel RAM is fun!)

NIK plugins will not work (yet) in the 64-bit version. I have been in contact with them on several occassions and they have something in the works but nothing yet. Same thing for OnOne plugins...

That said, most of Topaz Labs plugins (I own them all) work well and are written for the 64-bit version. They are fast and stable. Neat Image 64-bit is great, VERY fast. There are a number of other plugins that work in 64-bit mode...it's just a matter of time for them all to catch up.

Yes, I am a plugin junkie...by the way, it's not a plugin but if you enjoy doing panoramic stitching check out Autopano Pro2. They have a 64-bit version and it is absolutely smokin' fast, it also can utilize the GPS like CS4.