The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Capture One PRO or DB ?

steflaurent974

Hi there,

I bought this year a Phase One P25+ Refurb. I'm really please with it. I had a CAPTURE ONE PRO cd-rom : but the only license I can have is Capture One DB ; this is really annoying because I can not open my M8 or M9 files with it...:mad: :angry:

I had registered my digital back and it semms the only way to open my Leica files is by upgrading from DB to PRO, for a bunch of euro ...HUuuugh

Is this the normal way ? Or should have I received a C1 PRO software (as it is written on the Phase One CD).

Henry Goh

When you buy a Phaseone back, you get to use the DB version only. To get to use the Pro version, you need a valid Pro license. Hence if you want to use C1 to process files from other cameras like Canon or Nikon, you need to buy a Pro license. I believe M8 was bundled with some license.

steflaurent974

Ok understood, just surprized to read CAPTURE ONE 4 PRO on the Cd-rom and when installed discovering it's a DB version...That's it

The M8 was sold with C1 and the possibility exist to upgrade to the 3.7.X Pro version : do you think this version can evolve to the 4.8.X ?

Well maybe should I wait for the C1 5 version to come.

Thank you for your lightenings Henry .

BlasR

You can download the pro for 30 days free.

Congratulation, you got a very nice Digitla back.

enjoy it.

BlasR

robsteve

Subscriber
There was an upgrade path for the M8 users to go to the Pro version. I bought my Pro version this way. I can't remember the price, but it was cheaper than the normal Capture One to Capture one Pro upgrade price.

You need to the M8 Capture One license number to do it.

Robert

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Leica --> Pro is $299

http://phaseone.com/Content/EshopMenu/Leica.aspx

After you sign in and have checkout information on screen you can enter "ci" under the "voucher or coupon" option and you'll get 10% off as well as support from Capture Integration (as well as the standard online-only customer support from phaseone.com).

When you buy a Phase One back with a standard 1-year warranty it comes only with Capture One DB (it's a bit of a misnomer to say that it "comes with" it since Capture One DB is always free to download and use and requires no registration or license code). When you buy a Phase One back with a value-added 3-year warranty C1 Pro is included in that "value-added".

You may want to wait until version 5 is released in about two weeks since it has not been clarified how/when/if customers who purchase version 4 right before version 5 comes out will be given an upgrade ot version 5.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You may want to wait until version 5 is released in about two weeks since it has not been clarified how/when/if customers who purchase version 4 right before version 5 comes out will be given an upgrade ot version 5.
This is bad news from Phase One. One would hope that they'd have a free or preferential upgrade window for v5 for those who have just bought 4.8.3. In my case I ordered a full pro copy from Amazon on 10/8 which luckily arrived while I was away last week and so it's sitting here on my desk unopened. It's going back for a refund until v5 comes along. I feel like I just dodged a $400 bullet.

steflaurent974

Doug, thank you for the advice ( version 5) and the voucher, this is really nice. I checked on the Phase site and the upgrade from the M8 to Pro costs 199 EURO. So maybe this is a good path (as I owned a M8 license)

I have to say that when I installed my DB I have to throw away the M8 license to work, impossible to work with both, quite strange.