Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Capture One Version 5 Released

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One Version 5 Released

Anyone else struggling with v5? I downloaded and it launched, but that is it. When I move sliders the histogram changes but the image does not. I uninstalled with App Cleaner, doing a secure delete (writes 0 over the removed data) and am downloading another copy hoping that the first file was bad.

Edit: FWIW I also have the LR3 beta installed. Any chance it did something to my raws so C1 couldn't open them?
    Last edited by Bill_Green; 28th October 2009 at 19:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still had some images on a card and uploaded them to a new folder after I reloaded C1. Every image generates an error that reads "Thumbnail generation failed."

Camera: Sony A900
    Computer: Old MacBook, 2 ghz C2D, 4G RAM

Any ideas? Leaving on a trip in a couple days. Was hoping to test out C1 on the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Phase One get's a big FAIL from me. I purchased C1 Pro exactly 30 days ago to go with my P45 back and was just informed that I will have to pay an additional $99 to upgrade to V5. Given this polite brush off:

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseOne Support
    Scott,
    We reduced the Price of the PRO version of our software by $100 at the beginning of the year. As a result of that price change from $499 to $399 we did not include upgrades with the software. As such, if you would like to upgrade to Capture One 5 you will now need to purchase the upgrade for $99. This is why your Product Key for Capture One PRO did not come with any upgrades, this was also noted at the time of your purchase (that no upgrades were sold with the product).
    If you could please let me know who at Digtial Transitions incorrectly informed you of your free upgrade I would be happy to contact them to ensure they have the correct information for future customers.

Kind Regards,
    Phase One Support
    Nice job. Anyone wonder how much of my business they will get in the future?
    Scott Watters
    PoloDigital | Flickr | Pbase
    Nikon | Hensel | Apple

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why upgrade at all if you only use a P45 ?

Post Thanks / Like

There seems to be a plethora of new features, but perhaps since I'm only using a P45, I don't need (or deserve?) them...
    Scott Watters
    Nikon | Hensel | Apple

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well you are right, I thought the difference between C1 5.0 DB and Pro was a lot smaller than it actually is.

Did you buy it from Phase or through an dealer ? If so I really would pressure him. He knew exactly that c1 5.0 was due and should at least have told you so.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PoloDigital View Post
    Phase One get's a big FAIL from me. I purchased C1 Pro exactly 30 days ago to go with my P45 back and was just informed that I will have to pay an additional $99 to upgrade to V5. Given this polite brush off:

I very nearly had this experience too. I purchased C1 Pro from Amazon at the beginning of October but was away when it arrived. Luckily I heard about the pending v5 and lack of information about free upgrades for new purchases, plus had not opened the package yet. I sent it back to Amazon for refund. I think I was lucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure here, but.... If you are shooting a P back, I am pretty sure you get C1-5 DB for free just by using the back's serial number, right? If so, then all you miss by not paying the $99 upgrade are the new C1-5 features for OTHER supported cameras. So the real question is do you need/want it for another camera?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an interesting upgrade issue. The press release I got off Dpreview says:
    Existing Capture One 4 PRO customers can upgrade to Capture One 5 PRO for 99 USD and 69 EUR. Existing Capture One 4 customers can upgrade to Capture One 5 PRO for 299 USD and 229 EUR.

...and the release notes Jack posted seem to confirm this

BUT folks on the LUF (l-camera-forum) are saying that if you got v. 3.x with your M8 and upgraded to v. 4 for free, you are not entitled to the $299 upgrade from v. 4 to v. 5 Pro. The Phase One website won't accept your serial number. So you have to pay the full price of U.S. $399. Which makes a brand new copy of Lightroom $100 cheaper than upgrading.

I hope this is a mistake. If it isn't, it leaves a very bad taste, and Lightroom becomes, possibly, a more attractive option for M8 users. We shall see.

--Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I am pretty sure you get C1-5 DB for free just by using the back's serial number, right?
    not even the serial. You just click "DB mode" in the activation window and it's running. But only with digibacks (Phase/Leaf).
    C1/C1-DB/C1-Pro is actually the same software/installer. Through the key (or no key for DB) the respective version is activated.
    So if you use a digital back only the DB version is the same as Pro - or in other words: DB is the free "Pro" version for digiback users (has always been free and for sure will continue to be free).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So was I correct that the DB version has ALL features as the Pro version ? (only with phase and leaf backs)

That was my main point when asking why upgrade to pro if you only use a back.

selsoe

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    So was I correct that the DB version has ALL features as the Pro version ? (only with phase and leaf backs)

That was my main point when asking why upgrade to pro if you only use a back.
    Correct. However, product registration for back firmware updates doesn't work in DB mode as it requires a user profile which is only entered when activating a license currently.

Post Thanks / Like

But here's my issue. I paid for the PRO version 30 days ago. Every other software vendor that I know of, including Adobe, Microsoft, & Apple, have a policy that if you purchase an existing version of their software within some 'grace' period before a new release (typically 30 to 60 days), you are entitled to the new version at no cost. In fact most major software vendors market to their base before the new release arrives with this 'feature'.

I also shoot a Nikon D3. The reason I bought the PRO version was so I could have a common workflow for both bodies. Something that Digital Transitions sold me on. Lucy, you got some splainin to do!
    Scott Watters
    Nikon | Hensel | Apple

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the issue comes down to Phase took 100 dollars off the cost of Version 4 because it's release was so late when it was supposed to be out. So basically you got a 100 dollar break at the time of purchase and now the 99 upgrade brings it back to the regular price. I think that was their thinking on this. I maybe wrong here. I remember paying 500 dollars for Version 3.7 that came with several upgrades in the packaging. Reason why 3.7 folks this is a free upgrade. We paid the full price.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy that Guy. If I was to purchase version 5 today, I would pay the same amount that I paid for version 4. If they raised the price back up, then your argument holds water, but in this case it doesn't.

Either PhaseOne or Digital Transitions SHOULD have told me version 5 was imminent, and I should just use the DB version for 30 days and wait to purchase when it's released. They are simply nicking me for another $99, which I can tell you won't fly.

We'll see what they have to say today...
    Scott Watters
    Nikon | Hensel | Apple

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Version 5 is 400 dollars and i thought Version 4 was 300. Regardless I know many Version 4 folks are not happy.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope version 4 was also $399.
    Scott Watters
    Nikon | Hensel | Apple

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Selfishly bumping my question from below. Any ideas? I can't believe the LR3 beta works better than the production release of C1!

Original question:

Anyone else struggling with v5? I downloaded and it launched, but that is it. When I move sliders the histogram changes but the image does not. I uninstalled with App Cleaner, doing a secure delete (writes 0 over the removed data) and am downloading another copy hoping that the first file was bad. Every image generates an error that reads "Thumbnail generation failed."

Any ideas? Leaving on a trip in a couple days. Was hoping to test out C1 on the trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh . I thought it was a sale of 299.00 . Yea i would not be happy than. Call your dealer and give them the riot act. Now it is not necessarily the dealers fault also since I know they did not know about pricing until fairly recently. Not that i am sticking up for them or Phase but something you should be aware of. But for the same money spent you would think you should get Version 5 for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    Selfishly bumping my question from below. Any ideas? I can't believe the LR3 beta works better than the production release of C1!

Original question:

Anyone else struggling with v5? I downloaded and it launched, but that is it. When I move sliders the histogram changes but the image does not. I uninstalled with App Cleaner, doing a secure delete (writes 0 over the removed data) and am downloading another copy hoping that the first file was bad. Every image generates an error that reads "Thumbnail generation failed."

Bill something sounds like it is lingering in your system preferences

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill I'm at home if you need help walking through your Mac to clean out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Bill something sounds like it is lingering in your system preferences
    I got com.phaseone.captureone.plist and com.phaseone.captureone.LSSharedFileList.plist. Are there other ones I should be looking for? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie in the Capture One install dance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill I'm at home if you need help walking through your Mac to clean out.
    Thanks Guy, I may take you up on that.

jjlphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Spot tool is NOT working for Mac -- it's there and you can circle a spot or spots, but then you can't do anything else like remove it...
    Jack, they are discussing it on the PhaseOne Forums as well:
    http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7673

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got com.phaseone.captureone.plist and com.phaseone.captureone.LSSharedFileList.plist. Are there other ones I should be looking for? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie in the Capture One install dance.
    Users ,pictures , Capture one folder dump it.

Users , library , application support, capture one dump it

Users , library , preferences , com.phase dump all of them

Master hard drive, library, application support, capture one folder dump it

Post Thanks / Like

I am one of those who are confused by this whole upgrade process.

According to the PhaseOne website my profile shows I have one more free upgrade ( not update ) and one activation left, but I was told by support I have to pay for the upgrade. So what can I use the free upgrade for?

As mentioned by other members here some found out those who got the C1 v3 LE with the M8 ( as is my case ) will have to purchase the C1 v5 outright and not upgrade, which is contrary to what I was informed in the email from support which says (cut-and-paste): "if you choose to use Capture One 5 you will need to purchase the upgrade." (end quote)

The other thing I noticed is that when I tried to open my license information from within C1 v4 there is a box saying "unable to establish connection to the Phase One activatin server", when I click "OK" it goes away but under free upgrade and free activation I got a "-" only, nothing left. Wonder if they just took all those away although the PhaseOne website indicates differently?

With all this going on I guess I will just wait a bit to find out before making a move. Or not move.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Original question:

This may seem like a dumb question, but isn't C1-5 for intel MACs (and PCs of course)? I bring it up since you mention you're working with an "old MacBook".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Be real careful here from Jacks post

) Deactivate your license on the PhaseOne site in your user profile for C1 Pro -- make sure you are choosing your C1 PRO license and not one of the Lite or DB versions you may have activated.

This is tricky it caught me as well. There is a drop down when you go to enter your code on activation. The default is Capture One but in the drop down is Capture One PRO and DB. Make sure you are selecting the correct upgrade.

There are THREE versions here Capture One which is NOT the Pro version , Leica users here mostly.

Capture One DB i believe is in there as well.

Capture One Pro version.

Go to Phase and login in than go to License information .Myself i have two versions of Capture oNe LE and Pro make sure you are getting the correct license.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After waiting for the v5 to actually buy C1, i just DL the file in order to check out compatibility issues etc. before ordering.

Installation's fine, but it looks like there're no more camera profiles available? Did i miss something or is the Pro (DSLR) version not available fo trial?

Some Nikon users in this thread, maybe they can help...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so you all convinced to wait until i'm back from a long weekend to install this...

thank you for saving me the aggravation of tearing my hair out -- i just washed it

oh, and what is this about a Spot Tool that was in the beta and isn't in now? i want that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We all do cam. The spot tool was nice. I'm sure it will be back on a update. Fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    After waiting for the v5 to actually buy C1, i just DL the file in order to check out compatibility issues etc. before ordering.

Installation's fine, but it looks like there're no more camera profiles available? Did i miss something or is the Pro (DSLR) version not available fo trial?

My version of C1-5 shows all the Nikon profiles. See example screen:

Post Thanks / Like

Edit: FWIW I also have the LR3 beta installed. Any chance it did something to my raws so C1 couldn't open them?
    Bill,
    Not likely but, maybe, CapOne looked at your LR3 beta files
    and said, "Wow. How'd they do that ?"

:>))

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    My version of C1-5 shows all the Nikon profiles. See example screen:
    ... is your version delivered with sample pond shots as well?

... Thanks Tim - maybe it's the trial version then, in that case it certainly doesn't help a comfortable buying decision. Or i missed something when installing, but i wonder what.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Corlan: what shows up when you click and hold the ICC Profiles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i had "TIFF 'something'...", wanted to check but since the all thing was useless without profiles i already uninstalled it. After seeing your screen capture, i just downloaded again and... profiles are back. Mystery... thanks for giving me perseverance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Goblins. Gotta be. Glad you're back in business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoloDigital View Post

Scott

I did the same thing.. 30days ago purchased the C1Pro upgrade from the M8 C1 free Lite Version. First they double charged me and it took 14 calls and emails to correct. Then I asked why I had no upgrades available after I paid $300 to go to Pro. They told me they would get back to me on it. Then I asked why they couldn t give me a free upgrade as its only 30days and they caused me to waste a lot of time correcting their errors. I never got a response.

They totally don t get it.

dmcnickle

I was more than a little disappointed with Phase One over the upgrade to CO5 Pro. I purchased CO4 Pro less than 30 days ago. I paid full price ($399). Now I have to pay $99 to upgrade to CO5 Pro. If I had know that CO5 was coming out so soon after I bought CO4, I would have waited. I got a polite "too bad, so sad" email response when I asked about a free upgrade since my initial purchase was less than 30 days ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I had no problems upgrading from 4 to 5. A hundred bucks? Kind of a drag considering I gave them 45k in June, but this stuff costs money and in the greater scheme of things the LCC Light Fall Off correction alone is worth a hundred bucks to me. I think I'm going to be quite pleased with the upgrade... as I was with 4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    the LCC Light Fall Off correction alone is worth a hundred bucks to me.
    100% agreed! And the focus tool another $50 :-) okay, we had the focus tool in V3 but it was not so smart as the new one.
    I'm a V3 user and didn't pay for any upgrade by now (I think I still have one or two). But I wouldn't hesitate to pay as this piece of software - though still incomplete for me personally - all in all is really worth the money.

Post Thanks / Like

Are there good tutorials for new users of C1 5Pro? Love off the back the UI and the quality of image output with just few simple clicks when compared to other I was using and just sold and s I said in an other thread, can't believe it tucked me this long to switch!! Now I like to learn its ins and outs as best I can, and some great Video Tutorials would be magic

Links please.... Any one?

selsoe

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSI View Post
    Are there good tutorials for new users of C1 5Pro? Love off the back the UI and the quality of image output with just few simple clicks when compared to other I was using and just sold and s I said in an other thread, can't believe it tucked me this long to switch!! Now I like to learn its ins and outs as best I can, and some great Video Tutorials would be magic

Links please.... Any one?
    http://www.phaseone.com/Software/Cap...Tutorials.aspx :-)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh . I thought it was a sale of 299.00 . Yea i would not be happy than. Call your dealer and give them the riot act. Now it is not necessarily the dealers fault also since I know they did not know about pricing until fairly recently. Not that i am sticking up for them or Phase but something you should be aware of. But for the same money spent you would think you should get Version 5 for free.

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    This may seem like a dumb question, but isn't C1-5 for intel MACs (and PCs of course)? I bring it up since you mention you're working with an "old MacBook".
    His specs say "C2D" which means "core 2 duo" which is an intel chip. Good thinking though; C1 5 is only supported on Intel chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post

You can trial it, but note that there is a pull down menu in the "Try [Capture One] for 30 days" which needs to be selected and changed to "Try [Capture One Pro] for 30 days".

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSI View Post
    The Phase One tutorials are a good start. Capture Integration will be having online training (real-time interactive screen sharing) starting in about a month.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone who was thinking about purchasing C1 Pro in the last month from us (note: we are a dealer for Phase One, not Phase One itself) was told that a new version was coming and that we were unsure if Phase would offer a grace period for free upgrades and that they should hold off if at all possible.

That's all we, as a dealer, could do.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Since there seemed to be some confusion.

Anyone can use every single feature of Capture One on digital back files from Phase One, and the current lineup of Leaf and Mamiya digital backs for free without any registration, license, activation, or other work. Simply select "Use Capture One DB" (which stands for Digital Back) in the license options.

You don't need to own a back or have a serial number (important in case you want to have an assistant work on some files on their computer for instance).

It has always been free. It always will be free.

Only those users wishing to use Capture One with dSLR/Leica/P+S files need to worry about licenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Anyone who was thinking about purchasing C1 Pro in the last month from us (note: we are a dealer for Phase One, not Phase One itself) was told that a new version was coming and that we were unsure if Phase would offer a grace period for free upgrades and that they should hold off if at all possible.

That's all we, as a dealer, could do.
    And thank you many times over for that. I just wish I could get C1 5 to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I guess I searched the wrong places on P1's site

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    The Phase One tutorials are a good start. Capture Integration will be having online training (real-time interactive screen sharing) starting in about a month.

That would be great Doug, look forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that I'm very surprise at the really low quality of Video Training clips on P1's site, I know that as a Pro FilmMaker using the latest and highest quality Cinema cameras, I come to expect the very best in Motion Image quality, but I find this tiny low quality clips annoying at best, and I almost never venture in to Youtube, so a definite NONO on P1's part.

Truly looking forward to Capture Integration's Training lessons Doug, please bring them on

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey everyone. There is SO MUCH to talk about with the new version that I'm curious whats on YOUR mind? That will help me prioritize my own blogging/articles/training.