Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Capture One Version 5 Released

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One Version 5 Released

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    FWIW, still getting pretty regular program crashes on my 8-core Mac Pro, usually only involves the browser, either navigating to a different session's images from an existing session, or scrolling though a large block of images as the focus mask tool is still rendering the new browser images. I can replicate the focus mask crash behavior on my laptop, but not the navigating crash.
    no crashes here (only twice AFTER shutting down... I think I shut down too soon after the last adjustment).
    To give C1 a chance and let things go fluently: there's a little wheel right beside the RGB values in the top border (under the toolbar, if you use it) indicatiing that C1 is "working". Wait until it disapears. Too, as to the rendering of thumnails and focus mask, hiding the viewer helps a lot. With the browser expanded you'll see if C1 is ready with the rendering of previews or not. First start editing when C1 is ready. That's of course only a workaround until V5 is as rock solid as V3... if that will ever happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nope, still crashes every time I apply focus mask, regardless of viewer being open or not. Only seems to happen in a relatively large session folder of images, not smaller ones, and definitely occurs before the browser is finished rendering everything.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nope, still crashes every time I apply focus mask, regardless of viewer being open or not. Only seems to happen in a relatively large session folder of images, not smaller ones, and definitely occurs before the browser is finished rendering everything.
    okay, good to know, thanks!
    What happens if you start with the focus mask hidden and first toggle it when all the previews are ready?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    okay, good to know, thanks!
    What happens if you start with the focus mask hidden and first toggle it when all the previews are ready?
    That's when/how I get the crash! IOW, I start normal and let all previews and browser render -- which takes maybe a full minute on a large folder of images. I can tell it's all done when my core monitor goes to zero -- FWIW your wheel by the RGB values stops spinning and shows the RGB values after a few seconds. Now if I toggle focus mask on and do not touch anything, the viewer image renders the mask ASAP and all the browser thumbs start to render, then in about 10 seconds, boom, crash. This happens whether or not I have the viewer open or just the browser.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's when/how I get the crash!
    I see.

Now if I toggle focus mask on and do not touch anything, the viewer image renders and all the browser thumbs start to render and in about 10 seconds, boom, crash. This happens whether or not I have the viewer open or not.
    it's annoying... but maybe just delete the *.cof files from the cache folder and try again?
    I'll try it with a larger session as well... so far I didn't noticed trouble with the focus mask... only that it slows down things until fully cached.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interestingly, when I relaunch the focus mask is applied to all the images normally. Also, I can toggle the mask off with no crash even if the rendering is still busy.

I don't have the issue in smaller session folders, but this particular folder has 441 images in it, all P45+ files, and that's the one I seem to have the crash with. Has to be an issue with the browser and poor or inadequate memory usage. I have 24G of RAM in my big box and C1 is tagging maybe 3 or 4G of that tops.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interestingly, when I relaunch the focus mask is applied to all the images normally. Also, I can toggle the mask off with no crash even if the rendering is still busy.

I don't have the issue in smaller session folders, but this particular folder has 441 images in it, all P45+ files, and that's the one I seem to have the crash with. Has to be an issue with the browser and poor or inadequate memory usage. I have 24G of RAM in my big box and C1 is tagging maybe 3 or 4G of that tops.
    I've just assembled a folder with 500 P45 files. C1 ist very busy creating previews and the focus mask but I can show/hide viewer and show/hide focus mask all the time without trouble. I can even start editing on a file and copy/apply adjustments to other files... though while C1 is so busy I do it carefully.
    MacPro 4.1 here with 8x2.26GHz and 12GB RAM. According to my menu meters RAM is used at low levels... around 2 - 2.5GB. But the 16 cores are working as hell. Maybe not as hell, but all equally at around 60%.

When the session crashes on your machine, is the quick tab opened or the details tab?
    Am asking because above you've mentioned...:
    I keep all my focus tools under the detail tab, including three focus windows for center and two corners
    ... so maybe it's too hard with the 3 focus tool windows, the viewer and at the same time with the focus mask? Just an idea...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When the session crashes on your machine, is the quick tab opened or the details tab? Am asking because above you've mentioned...:
    ... so maybe it's too hard with the 3 focus tool windows, the viewer and at the same time with the focus mask? Just an idea...
    On my Quick tab, no focus screens open.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, fixed it.

Had originally set my preview sizes to 2400 pix. I set the previews back to 1200 pix, then nuked all that session folder .cof files. Then I relaunch and let all the new previews render -- which takes a few minutes AND uses about 90% of my RAM(!). Now I apply focus mask and it works fine.

I suspect the issue may have been connected to my original preview size and then changing it without nuking the old preview cache, or just the combination of a lot of images and large previews, or maybe just a corrupt browser cache...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, fixed it.
    great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another good thing about the new local copy/apply is that the shortcut cmd+shift+D duplicates the last (only the last!) adjustment - exactly like pressing shift and clicking on the local copy/apply icon.

So for instance you have selected 6 images. You adjust WB for the primary image and press cmd+shift+D - now WB is set for the 6 selected images. It's faster than pressing shift and click on the local copy/apply icon because while you are pressing the keys you move the mouse to the next adjustment.
    It's even working with setting the camera profile.

BTW: where is Doug? He said there is so much to talk...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW: where is Doug? He said there is so much to talk...
    LOL, coming. It's not even been a week!

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's Doug! He's probably been sitting at his computer studying Lightroom so he can process S2 files and M9 files, now that CI is a Leica dealer!

Post Thanks / Like

I really wish there were Professional training lessons on p1 5 PRO I really love the UI, but there are so many new Items that confuse me a bit, so please do recommend them to me if they are..

.. Doug hurry up and start your Training program already

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSI View Post
    I really wish there were Professional training lessons on p1 5 PRO I really love the UI, but there are so many new Items that confuse me a bit, so please do recommend them to me if they are..

.. Doug hurry up and start your Training program already
    You'll have to wish a little longer, but not much longer.

Training should be available in a few weeks, with quick tips/tricks coming sooner.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    You'll have to wish a little longer, but not much longer.

Training should be available in a few weeks, with quick tips/tricks coming sooner.

Cool, few weeks, not so bad.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=dougpetersonci;151653] "You'll have to wish a little longer, but not much longer.
    Training should be available in a few weeks, with quick tips/tricks coming sooner."

Well, I guess that wishing makes it so ! Will be looking forward to familiarizing myself with these when they become available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

help help and help

i was a good girl and did everything right, deinstalling, removing, deactivating, etc...

program happily on computer and looks to be perfect with minor detail:

i cannot import any images into it.

i have tried more than one and no dice... as i've been happily using 4 without a problem, i don't really think it's my stupidity, but maybe it is? anyone have a clue what i've not done properly?

thank you in advance!

eta: this is only for folders i have previously opened in C1.
    Last edited by cam; 4th November 2009 at 08:36.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam maybe delete the Capture One folder inside the folders you are trying to import. It may not like the Col45 stuff from previous 4.5. I have deleted those cache folders when bringing in those old folder images without problems. So in short go to a folder you want to bring in or import . If their is any Capture One folder inside it than dump it than import
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

In the mean time I was thinking that if any one knows, good Tutorials of the C1 PRO previous version, which might not differ too much form version 5, would be a great start for me as well.

thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Cam maybe delete the Capture One folder inside the folders you are trying to import. It may not like the Col45 stuff from previous 4.5. I have deleted those cache folders when bringing in those old folder images without problems. So in short go to a folder you want to bring in or import . If their is any Capture One folder inside it than dump it than import
    thank you, Guy. that's probably it... i did it the old-fashioned way and dumped the images i wanted into a different folder and everything worked a charm! it probably is those ol' col45's

Post Thanks / Like

Okay for now I just joined Capture-U, but will still look forward for Professional Videos,and or good Books, Doug, do inform me when you guys are ready , I really want to Master this program, I just Love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    thank you, Guy. that's probably it... i did it the old-fashioned way and dumped the images i wanted into a different folder and everything worked a charm! it probably is those ol' col45's
    Hate those Col45's. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay first try @ C1 5 Pro, so please be nice

I really love this Fricking Program, but it has so much you can do, it will take me some learning before I can get what I want out of my images.
    Last edited by KETCH ROSSI; 30th November 2009 at 17:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ketch looks good . I may pick the color editor here on her lips and make that red more red . But certainly this is up to personal taste as well. My only one issue is the left side headpiece is blending into the background.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input Guy, as I say first time

I din't want to make the Lips too red as not to concentrate the attention too much on them, as far as the blending to the background is an intended effect applied by a Vignetting, and actually was all around the right side, too, but for some reason didn't save that way, still understanding how the Process button works.

I must say this, I usually would have needed so much work on Photoshop in order to achieve the same look I got out of C1 5 PRO with few adjustments here and there, really awesome Program, only thing I did in CS4 was removing few blemishes and reduce the size of the file, with Jack's way Cool Action converter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honestly with C1 I avoid Photoshop a whole bunch which is fine by me.

Post Thanks / Like

Amen!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay after you said something about the blending, I decided that would look better if it didn't.
    Last edited by KETCH ROSSI; 30th November 2009 at 17:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ketch, REALLY great image and processing! Is that an image from your new P30+? If so, it looks like you are already making it sing, congrats!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSI View Post
    Okay after you said something about the blending, I decided that would look better if it didn't.
    i actually quite prefer the first one...

selsoe

Great shot! Two comments:

1. The vignetting makes the top left part of her hair look too soft/washed out I think
    2. I think you cut it a bit too tight on the left side

But again, great shot, great style!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with cam on this one. If an ethereal look was your objective, the first rendering does it best, imho.
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Post Thanks / Like

Ketch, REALLY great image and processing! Is that an image from your new P30+? If so, it looks like you are already making it sing, congrats!
    Thanks Jack, unfortunately I had to sale the P30+, as to get read of my Ex-Partner, so this image was taken with a 1Ds III, but since I just ordered the new DF I hope to be able to get a new DB for it .

..and I now agree.

Quote Originally Posted by selsoe View Post
    Great shot! Two comments:

1. The vignetting makes the top left part of her hair look too soft/washed out I think
    2. I think you cut it a bit too tight on the left side

But again, great shot, great style!
    Thanks for your comments, the shot was taken like this, I tend to frame pretty tight, at list when I know I have t=no frame to consider, the washed out effect of the hi light vignetting is supposed to be actually stronger, as the idea with this image was to make it blend in with the white BG even more.

Quote Originally Posted by beamon View Post
    I'm with cam on this one. If an ethereal look was your objective, the first rendering does it best, imho.
    ..and I agree with you as well That was the intended look and for this I finally made the last adjustments before delivery.

Again I thank you every one for your kind comments, and I really look forward to really get good at C1, a truly tremendous App.
    Last edited by KETCH ROSSI; 3rd November 2010 at 05:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Doug, how is the "Online Training" program, coming along?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The dates for our online training have been set but I have not announced them on the website yet (should be up on the website next week).

Intro
    Dec 8 @ 8am EST
    Dec 9 @ 7pm EST

Masters
    Dec 10 @ 7pm EST
    Dec 11 @ 8am EST

Tips and Tricks articles should start appearing on the website middle of next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay Doug.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news !