The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Version 5 Released

Christopher

So was I correct that the DB version has ALL features as the Pro version ? (only with phase and leaf backs)

That was my main point when asking why upgrade to pro if you only use a back.

S

selsoe

So was I correct that the DB version has ALL features as the Pro version ? (only with phase and leaf backs)

That was my main point when asking why upgrade to pro if you only use a back.
Correct. However, product registration for back firmware updates doesn't work in DB mode as it requires a user profile which is only entered when activating a license currently.

PoloDigital

But here's my issue. I paid for the PRO version 30 days ago. Every other software vendor that I know of, including Adobe, Microsoft, & Apple, have a policy that if you purchase an existing version of their software within some 'grace' period before a new release (typically 30 to 60 days), you are entitled to the new version at no cost. In fact most major software vendors market to their base before the new release arrives with this 'feature'.

I also shoot a Nikon D3. The reason I bought the PRO version was so I could have a common workflow for both bodies. Something that Digital Transitions sold me on. Lucy, you got some splainin to do!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think the issue comes down to Phase took 100 dollars off the cost of Version 4 because it's release was so late when it was supposed to be out. So basically you got a 100 dollar break at the time of purchase and now the 99 upgrade brings it back to the regular price. I think that was their thinking on this. I maybe wrong here. I remember paying 500 dollars for Version 3.7 that came with several upgrades in the packaging. Reason why 3.7 folks this is a free upgrade. We paid the full price.

PoloDigital

I don't buy that Guy. If I was to purchase version 5 today, I would pay the same amount that I paid for version 4. If they raised the price back up, then your argument holds water, but in this case it doesn't.

Either PhaseOne or Digital Transitions SHOULD have told me version 5 was imminent, and I should just use the DB version for 30 days and wait to purchase when it's released. They are simply nicking me for another $99, which I can tell you won't fly.

We'll see what they have to say today...

Guy Mancuso

Version 5 is 400 dollars and i thought Version 4 was 300. Regardless I know many Version 4 folks are not happy.

Selfishly bumping my question from below. Any ideas? I can't believe the LR3 beta works better than the production release of C1!

Original question:

Anyone else struggling with v5? I downloaded and it launched, but that is it. When I move sliders the histogram changes but the image does not. I uninstalled with App Cleaner, doing a secure delete (writes 0 over the removed data) and am downloading another copy hoping that the first file was bad. Every image generates an error that reads "Thumbnail generation failed."

Camera: Sony A900
Computer: Old MacBook, 2 ghz C2D, 4G RAM

Any ideas? Leaving on a trip in a couple days. Was hoping to test out C1 on the trip.

Guy Mancuso

Oh . I thought it was a sale of 299.00 . Yea i would not be happy than. Call your dealer and give them the riot act. Now it is not necessarily the dealers fault also since I know they did not know about pricing until fairly recently. Not that i am sticking up for them or Phase but something you should be aware of. But for the same money spent you would think you should get Version 5 for free.

Guy Mancuso

Selfishly bumping my question from below. Any ideas? I can't believe the LR3 beta works better than the production release of C1!

Original question:

Anyone else struggling with v5? I downloaded and it launched, but that is it. When I move sliders the histogram changes but the image does not. I uninstalled with App Cleaner, doing a secure delete (writes 0 over the removed data) and am downloading another copy hoping that the first file was bad. Every image generates an error that reads "Thumbnail generation failed."

Any ideas? Leaving on a trip in a couple days. Was hoping to test out C1 on the trip.
Bill something sounds like it is lingering in your system preferences

Bill something sounds like it is lingering in your system preferences
I got com.phaseone.captureone.plist and com.phaseone.captureone.LSSharedFileList.plist. Are there other ones I should be looking for? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie in the Capture One install dance.

Guy Mancuso

I got com.phaseone.captureone.plist and com.phaseone.captureone.LSSharedFileList.plist. Are there other ones I should be looking for? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie in the Capture One install dance.
Users ,pictures , Capture one folder dump it.

Users , library , application support, capture one dump it

Users , library , preferences , com.phase dump all of them

Master hard drive, library, application support, capture one folder dump it

fotoism

I am one of those who are confused by this whole upgrade process.:confused:

According to the PhaseOne website my profile shows I have one more free upgrade ( not update ) and one activation left, but I was told by support I have to pay for the upgrade. So what can I use the free upgrade for?

As mentioned by other members here some found out those who got the C1 v3 LE with the M8 ( as is my case ) will have to purchase the C1 v5 outright and not upgrade, which is contrary to what I was informed in the email from support which says (cut-and-paste): "if you choose to use Capture One 5 you will need to purchase the upgrade." (end quote)

The other thing I noticed is that when I tried to open my license information from within C1 v4 there is a box saying "unable to establish connection to the Phase One activatin server", when I click "OK" it goes away but under free upgrade and free activation I got a "-" only, nothing left. Wonder if they just took all those away although the PhaseOne website indicates differently?:eek:

With all this going on I guess I will just wait a bit to find out before making a move. Or not move.:(

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

Original question:

This may seem like a dumb question, but isn't C1-5 for intel MACs (and PCs of course)? I bring it up since you mention you're working with an "old MacBook".

Guy Mancuso

Be real careful here from Jacks post

) Deactivate your license on the PhaseOne site in your user profile for C1 Pro -- make sure you are choosing your C1 PRO license and not one of the Lite or DB versions you may have activated.

This is tricky it caught me as well. There is a drop down when you go to enter your code on activation. The default is Capture One but in the drop down is Capture One PRO and DB. Make sure you are selecting the correct upgrade.

There are THREE versions here Capture One which is NOT the Pro version , Leica users here mostly.

Capture One DB i believe is in there as well.

Capture One Pro version.

Go to Phase and login in than go to License information .Myself i have two versions of Capture oNe LE and Pro make sure you are getting the correct license.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
After waiting for the v5 to actually buy C1, i just DL the file in order to check out compatibility issues etc. before ordering.

Installation's fine, but it looks like there're no more camera profiles available? Did i miss something or is the Pro (DSLR) version not available fo trial?

Some Nikon users in this thread, maybe they can help...

cam

so you all convinced to wait until i'm back from a long weekend to install this...

thank you for saving me the aggravation of tearing my hair out -- i just washed it :p

oh, and what is this about a Spot Tool that was in the beta and isn't in now? i want that!