Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Capture One Version 5 Released

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Capture One Version 5 Released

Read all about it

http://www.phaseone.com/
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One Version 5 Released

"Live Preview is now available for both Mac and Windows and comes with improved performance."

TY Phase One

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

this whole EIP thing is interesting, I have been having conversations with photographers who are working with editorial clients who are still delivering film, but the magazines are starting to go over to digital, and some are requesting RAW files from them, and since they are at the forefront they are a little loathe to establish this as the norm.

In catalogue it is almost the norm to request RAWS.

The reason the magazines request this is that they have experienced a history of getting bad digital from the early adopters; it may surprise some on this list to find out that many of the top magazines in interior, fashion, food, etc still "prefer" film and this is one of the reasons. Another reason is that the editors are not equipped to plow through dozens of hi res files, and also are looking at jpeg previews on old imacs in need of an upgrade, not calibrated, in flood lit offices. So of course the digital looks like crap next to the c-prints.

Finally a lot of photographers in editorial at least have still not made the switch, so when they do, they are ill equipped to educate their editors, who themselves have no clue. So what happens is the art department starts asking for RAWS and the photographer loses control over the final image.

I understand why C1 has EIP-it suits high volume fashion-catalogue work-so much retouching is being brought in house, plus you have to take a shoot and repurpose it for print, web, etc. very quickly. But it does not suit a lot of other photographers who like to keep things in their shop, bill the capture, conversion and retouching, and maintain control over the final image.

I point this out because C1 is the standard in studio and location capture, many of the editors, if they know nothing at all, know the words "Capture One", and you say "Lightroom" to them and they think you are playing with toys. I think we should all be very aware of workflow issues as they are compensation and control issues too-and EIP is one potential on a slippery slope down towards where photographers are "capture operators" that corporations hire out to do their wet work.

btw, I do like the conversions and color of C1 actually.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got it installed on my Mac Pro. Here is a little test shot processed in CO5 from my D700. Click on the shot for the full sized image. Used default settings for D700 plus added my watermark and a vignette mask. Lightning quick conversions on my 8-core machine.

Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Server is jammed right now
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Says I need to update from the download but download link leads nowhere? I hope this resolves in the next few days.

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a link to the Mac version (hosted by me - just trying to help out)

ftp://ftp.echenique.com/co5/CaptureOne5.0.dmg
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the installation protocol I had to go through to get it loaded -- super PITA, but I got there. I suspect those of us with really old ver 3.x keys plus upgrades need to go through this, while more recent keys may not:

1) Deactivate your license on the PhaseOne site in your user profile for C1 Pro -- make sure you are choosing your C1 PRO license and not one of the Lite or DB versions you may have activated.

1a) NOTE: I would take the time here to check your email and password data to make sure it's all current and what you want to be using going forward, you'll see why in step 4.

2) Now I could actually get to the DL server for ver 5, and download it. Start the DL.

3) While it's DL-ing, clean EVERY C1 folder off from: (Mac) Root>Applications, Root>Library>App Support, User>Library>App Support, User>Library>Prefs. I saved my Styles off to the side and left my Session folders in with my images. Do similar with PC.

4) Now load the program in your app folder, agree to the EULA, etc. Next your license key activation pops up. Here I could NOT use the automatic registration, even though the key matched. I needed to click the "Use New Key" icon, select C1 Pro, and hit enter. The next screen asked for my key, so I manually inserted my existing key. Next it asks for my registration email, then -- and here is the tricky part -- I had to use the "Login To Get User Profile" which asks for your account password. I entered that, let it do it's thing and it loads my user profile form the site -- I suspect it is regenerating a complete, new current user profile for me and why I need to do this. NOW I click "activate" and viola, I got a valid C1 installation.

5) Finally, I placed the Styles back in the styles folder manually and they worked, but the ver 4 and Beta v5 sessions still get "migrated to the new v5 Pro, so be sure you run them clean.

Resetting all my menu and app prefs now, what another PITA, BUT many of the menu items have been altered slightly even from the beta, so my guess is it is best to do this now to avoid issues later...

Cheers,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had to do the same. Caveat though i had no activations left since I loaded over the years on top of new hard drives so do check your account first. You may have to deactivate in your license management area on the Phase site first to go ahead and upgrade to version 5.

BTW many ways to delete on your Mac any old version . I used AppCleaner and than went to my users folder in pictures and deleted the capture one folder but like Jack mentioned it is in several places on your computer. So clean yourself out first and download and proceed.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

What a ridiculous upgrade process. It's really too bad that such an powerful app. has such a terrible upgrade process with each new full version. P1 really needs to put a team on fixing just this portion of the application. Sure, we can do it, but users should not be put this such garbage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I don't no, perhaps it's on macs, I just installed 5.0 and activated it. No need to uninstall c1 4 or do any of the a both. Didn't have time to test much, but looks stable to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Dale, but suspect this is only required for those of us with old, ver 3.x licenses to utilize the remaining updates. It seems like version 4 users don't have to go through this...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Well I don't no, perhaps it's on macs, I just installed 5.0 and activated it. No need to uninstall c1 4 or do any of the a both. Didn't have time to test much, but looks stable to me.
    Most likely you are coming from version 4. something. Which is what we expect from the Version 4 folks. Just us old dogs with 3 version may run into this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I agree Dale, but suspect this is only required for those of us with old, ver 3.x licenses to utilize the remaining updates. It seems like version 4 users don't have to go through this...
    I have v3.7x on my machine, but don't use it, so I'll remove that for sure. It may not be a problem in reality thought, as it's just the DB version.

Still, I just don't think that users should ever be put through this type of thing on commercial software, especially pricey stuff like C1. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have an old V3 Key (3.4 as far as I remember) and am running a Mac as well. I've downloaded the installer and (after clearing older settings etc. for a clean reinstall) just installed V5. No trouble at all. Just a funny message that there is a new update waiting. I've set the preferences to "never" search for upadtes and everything works fine since then.

RHP

Has anyone tried "live preview" with P65+ of P40+ ?
    Not working for me, it's greyed out with my P65.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There maybe a setting on the P65 but not sure. Checking with Doug now

jjlphoto

I luv this forum. I get to ask really dumb questions and not get my head ripped off

This whole idea with deactivation, reactivation, etc? I currently use COPro v3.7.8. As soon as I get Snow Leopard installed, I am going to download COv5. I deactivate my current older version on the PhaseOne site first, download the newer one, install it, and activate it on my machine as Jack thoroughly outlined. Is this to insure I am only using one version at a time?

Also, I thought the license allowed me to have it installed on several of my own machines, but never using it on more than two machines at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjlphoto View Post
    I luv this forum. I get to ask really dumb questions and not get my head ripped off

This whole idea with deactivation, reactivation, etc? I currently use COPro v3.7.8. As soon as I get Snow Leopard installed, I am going to download COv5. I deactivate my current older version on the PhaseOne site first, download the newer one, install it, and activate it on my machine as Jack thoroughly outlined. Is this to insure I am only using one version at a time?

Also, I thought the license allowed me to have it installed on several of my own machines, but never using it on more than two machines at the same time.
    If you have a V3 on your comptuer that's not an issue at all. Even with V4 it's not an issue as long as you rename the apps. C1 V4 and C1 V5 are simply named "Capture One". So an installation of V5 would overwrite/replace V4 (maybe this is the reason for the trouble mentioned above). But if you rename (V4-) "Capture One" to "Capture One 4" the V5 version will not overwrite V4. I am currently running V3.7.8, V4.8.3 and V5.0 on the same machine, the same drive/folder and the same OS. No trouble at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The dust/spot removal doesn't work. P1 support told me it was removed in the final release... though the tool is present.
    A real pitty, it worked really great in the Beta, but apparently we have to wait for a fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    If you have a V3 on your comptuer that's not an issue at all. Even with V4 it's not an issue as long as you rename the apps. C1 V4 and C1 V5 are simply named "Capture One". So an installation of V5 would overwrite/replace V4 (maybe this is the reason for the trouble mentioned above). But if you rename (V4-) "Capture One" to "Capture One 4" the V5 version will not overwrite V4. I am currently running V3.7.8, V4.8.3 and V5.0 on the same machine, the same drive/folder and the same OS. No trouble at all.
    Thomas, after renaming the main app folder do you delete or rename all the subfolders?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to download V5 and activate it without doing anything else. It does appear that is my last free upgrade and I have 0 activations left. V5 seems MUCH faster that V4.7 that I was running yesterday.
    I still have V4.7 on my computer and am not sure if I should uninstall it. Anyone know if that will cause problems?

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RHP View Post
    Has anyone tried "live preview" with P65+ of P40+ ?
    Not working for me, it's greyed out with my P65.
    "Live Preview for P 65+ and P 40+ requires a Digital Back firmware update, which enables Live Preview support."

- from the read me notes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The dust/spot removal doesn't work. P1 support told me it was removed in the final release... though the tool is present.
    A real pitty, it worked really great in the Beta, but apparently we have to wait for a fix.
    Thomas, please elaborate because it seems to be working (Windows XP machine here).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Spot tool is NOT working for Mac -- it's there and you can circle a spot or spots, but then you can't do anything else like remove it...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are the release notes if anybody needs them:
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The dust/spot removal tool works on my Mac (SL) machine as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Okay, that's weird. Very definitely NOT working on mine...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas, after renaming the main app folder do you delete or rename all the subfolders?
    easier. I don't pull the app icon to the applications folder... I first pull it on the desktop, rename it to "Capture One V5" and then move it to the applications folder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Thomas, please elaborate because it seems to be working (Windows XP machine here).
    in 100% view... so really?
    This would be very weird. Well but at least I am glad for you that there are 2 features now on Windows that are not present on Mac. Pays back for the non customizable toolbar on Windows. Funny as I don't need the toolbar at all. But I'm jealous regarding the customizable shortcuts for zoom in/out on Windows :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    again...: in 100% view and in the processed image?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

too, I can't import LCC setting from other sessions. This is a show stopper as I use lens presets based on LCC all the time

RHP

"Live Preview for P 65+ and P 40+ requires a Digital Back firmware update, which enables Live Preview support."

- from the read me notes
    Mmmm....... I had ver 4.5 firmware and re installed it again ..... still no joy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very simple installation although I was going from 4Pro to 5Pro.

The tool for the spot removal activates, but it's beyond me how to make it actually work.

I do like the option to reduce the image a bit within the viewing pane so that crop handles don't get confused by the panel border. And the vignette seems to work rather well.

My first try with the vignette:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a dust removal tool not a spot removal tool. It only does sensor spots. If you put it on a object it only reduces it a small amount. Not a cloning tool like CS4 . It reads the area around it and removes the dust like a healing brush

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Guy! I misunderstood. I'm going in search of a sensor spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    It's a dust removal tool not a spot removal tool. It only does sensor spots. If you put it on a object it only reduces it a small amount. Not a cloning tool like CS4 . It reads the area around it and removes the dust like a healing brush
    care to share a screenshot before/after? On my machine it does exactly nothing. In the Beta it worked very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here Thomas you can see the dust circled by red than I hit the removal tool and it is gone. I processed it and it is not there

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now the beta did have spot and dust removal but only the dust tool remains. Not sure why either

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Here Thomas you can see the dust circled by red than I hit the removal tool and it is gone. I processed it and it is not there
    okay, thanks a lot for that! Indeed it is working as long as the spot is on a uniform background color; so they changed the actual settings or the sensitivity or so.
    Unbelievable that the support told me it was removed
    But I'm glad it's working.
    Jack... on your machine, too?

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

too, I can't import LCC setting from other sessions. This is a show stopper as I use lens presets based on LCC all the time
    Thomas at the bottom of the drop down I have < Old Profiles > and all my ver. 4 LCCs are there. Again, Windows machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas at the bottom of the drop down I have < Old Profiles > and all my ver. 4 LCCs are there. Again, Windows machine.
    I spent half an hour this evening to re-create my LCC presets as the new LCC based light falloff is simply great. But I even can't import the V5 LCC files... nor the (newly saved) lens presets (those that include LCC settings)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

okay, thanks a lot for that! Indeed it is working as long as the spot is on a uniform background color; so they changed the actual settings or the sensitivity or so.
    Unbelievable that the support told me it was removed
    But I'm glad it's working.
    Jack... on your machine, too?

Thanks again!
    More like a healing brush if you ask me it wants a uniform color

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I spent half an hour this evening to re-create my LCC presets as the new LCC based light falloff is simply great. But I even can't import the V5 LCC files... nor the (newly saved) lens presets (those that include LCC settings)
    okay... the presets are working. I first tryed to apply LCC settings of a P21+ to files of another P21+... due to the different serials of the two backs they don't apply. However the import-dialog doesn't work. So the workaround would be to store all LCC settings as lens presets...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, I get it. DUST is working, but the SPOT tool we had in the beta that worked like the Adobe healing brush is not activated yet. Moreover, the "dust" you are trying to remove needs to be actual dust as it appears sharp detail will not get hit.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is how it looks on my machine. All the old LCCs are in the Old Profiles submenu. However, there is some slight strange behavior. One time when I clicked on it, it only showed 4 of the profiles, not all. Seems to be working OK now.

Is this what you are seeking?

Attachment 24229

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is how it looks on my machine. All the old LCCs are in the Old Profiles submenu. However, there is some slight strange behavior. One time when I clicked on it, it only showed 4 of the profiles, not all. Seems to be working OK now.
    Is this what you are seeking?
    not quite. There are the lens presets (attachment 1)... these presets work okay.
    In the LCC pulldown menu there is as well the command "import" (attachement 2). With the import you can actually locate LCC settings in the settings folder of other sessions so that you can apply certain LCCs that are not stored as presets (those you don't need that often or so...). This import is what I am referring to and that is not working here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, I get it. DUST is working, but the SPOT tool we had in the beta that worked like the Adobe healing brush is not activated yet. Moreover, the "dust" you are trying to remove needs to be actual dust as it appears sharp detail will not get hit.
    exactly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like it though keeps me out of CS4 for the most part.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can CO5 open multi-layer TIFF files? My guess is no. I was trying to open a 1.1GB 9-layer TIFF and it wouldn't give me a thumbnail or anything. Other than that, it works very well and quickly. It even reads the D3S NEFs I brought home from PhotoPlus (as D3 files).