The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LR3 or Aperture - the final solution!

jonoslack

Well,
I hadn't touched Aperture since 10th October - I've now got the printing working properly in Lightroom, I'm familiar with how to use the keywording properly, I like the web output, and since LR3 I like the conversions as well.

Done Deal! I'm now in the mainstream :)

This afternoon I was shuffling around my photographs in preparation for the big task of rebuilding and reorganising my library. After a conversation with James about the swaparound I thought I'd just pop in to Aperture and have a look at some recent pictures (all processed in Lightroom). Convinced that I was now free of the Aperture addiction.

. . . . . . . ..

Oh Dear . . . I just like them better in Aperture, the conversions seem much gentler, the colours subtler, the printing has a certain sparkle, and it was a positive joy going back to the Aperture interface (even though it is slower). I like the web development better, I love the book preparation, I prefer the way it handles versions and the smart albums, the smart web pages, the interface for selecting keywords.

So, I say to myself, right - but it won't process files from my nice new GF1 . . it doesn't have a profile for the M9 yet . . . it took about 2 seconds to come to reconsider a decision that it had taken some weeks to really believe in.

Stuff the GF1
The M9 conversions are nicer in Aperture, even without the LR profile

I'm sticking with Aperture - if that means I can't use m4/3, then, sobeit,

Anyone want to buy a GF1 kit cheap?

Dale Allyn

Hi Jono,

Is there some reason that you can't continue to enjoy (if that is, in fact, the case) the GF1 and simply process its files outside of Aperture? Must your images all reside in one and only one library?

We each function differently, and there is no right or wrong, any more than which wine we might each enjoy, but it seems a shame to let Apple and Adobe dictate which cameras one keeps.

How many web browsers do you have on your Mac? I have five, but I use two for accessing the web. I prefer Safari, but due to web designers not being considerate of their visitors I sometimes need to refer to Firefox. (The reason that I have five is actually to test compatibility of pages I markup.) I'm not sure the analogy really works, but it sort of does for me.

I guess what your post suggests to me is that the GF1 doesn't really matter to you, and that's a good thing to realize too. :)

And to be fair, I don't like LR or Aperture in terms of UI and overall experience (and use neither) so I do relate to your feelings of preference. I applaud the choice of a software package that gives you better results.

jonoslack

Hi Dale
Hi Jono,

Is there some reason that you can't continue to enjoy (if that is, in fact, the case) the GF1 and simply process its files outside of Aperture? Must your images all reside in one and only one library?
Of course, they don't HAVE to . . . but it's really inconvenient if they don't! I could convert to tiff in lightroom and then include in the Aperture Library . I could move to lightroom. . . whatever
We each function differently, and there is no right or wrong, any more than which wine we might each enjoy, but it seems a shame to let Apple and Adobe dictate which cameras one keeps.
I quite agree - but the point here is that they DO dictate, so, if I want to use a DAM for my work (which I do, I don't really have the time to do otherwise), and I want all my pictures in one library in raw form, then it boils down to a decision between the GF1 and Aperture, and that's the point I came to today, and it's a no brainer.

If it were a choice between the M9 and Aperture, or the A900 and Aperture, then the decision would have gone the other way.
How many web browsers do you have on your Mac? I have five, but I use two for accessing the web. I prefer Safari, but due to web designers not being considerate of their visitors I sometimes need to refer to Firefox. (The reason that I have five is actually to test compatibility of pages I markup.) I'm not sure the analogy really works, but it sort of does for me.
Well, probably it isn't quite the same - the answer though is two, but I hardly ever use firefox.
I guess what your post suggests to me is that the GF1 doesn't really matter to you, and that's a good thing to realize too. :)
You got it! Of course, Apple may support it later (but they still don't support any other cameras which have lens correction, from the D-lux4 to the G1 to the EP1. I expect they will, but probably not for a while.
And to be fair, I don't like LR or Aperture in terms of UI and overall experience (and use neither) so I do relate to your feelings of preference. I applaud the choice of a software package that gives you better results.
It's really the huge workflow benefits which come from using one of them (for my situation anyway). I like C1, but it's simply too time consuming for the way I work, and I'd still need the DAM anyway (I was really hoping they'd include it in C1 5, but no).

Dale Allyn

I get it, Jono. And no judgement by me.

My process would make you nuts, as I store all RAW files in folders chronologically in a "photos" directory at the Finder level. Inside of that I have other organizational folders. So... for me, the Finder is my DAM. ;) I browse it with either Bridge or C1 mostly. Many people would hate this (and if I were an events shooter, so would I), but that's the beauty in choice.

Cheers!

J

Jamesmd

Great decision I think , your photos don't seem they need a change IMO , they look great an natural .

BUT , don't go snow , just photograph it ;-)

cheers

James

nostatic

I have solved my SL problems, and have to agree with your assessment. I did some small test libraries with the same raw shots in Aperture and LR2.5 and LR3. Aperture is more subtle in the colors and pushed the DR a bit less. I could live with either one in that regard, but I still find the handling quicker in Aperture.

Eoin

:D:D resistance is futile Jono :D:D You and I are "dyed in the wool" Aperture users. Wait 'till late Nov for Aperture X to be released before you contemplate further on the matter. At least then you can decide if the direction of the new AX fits with what you have, or it's time to export to something else.

From my own point of view, I'm pee'd off with the speed drop of Aperture in Snow Leopard on my MBP. It's time to replace my trusty G5 PPC with a newer box and I'm torn between the hugely expensive Mac Pro or the new iMac i7 27in. But this decision is on hold until AX ships and I see what the reports of speed increase are like on multi core boxes. Also in the hope Apple will also increase the base processor on the Mac Pro soon.

Failing all the above, C1 v5 is looking very nice, I could almost make the switch now. The only thing stopping me is all those lovely plugins I have collected for aperture and the simple basic fact that I can't even print an image from within C1.

So keep the faith Brother, all will be revealed soon ;)

J

Jamesmd

Well not quite... Viveza will work on a TIFF file, with no possibility of modifying your settings later.
Well , all Aperture plugins are like that , I don't mind.

I already have Viveza and love it , and Viveza 2 looks much better

cheers

dmpbyrdwatcher

whew, Jono - I so glad to read this post to know it isn't just me!

I've been feeling like I am getting too far behind, so I've spent the last few days playing with Capture ONe and Lightroom 3 beta --- and hating every minute of both.

I went back to Aperture to see if I was exaggerating the ease of it in my memory - nope, it really is a whole lot easier and less aggravating. And I keep thinking the conversions don't look as 'harsh' as they do in LR or ACR.

So I'll stick to the Ice Ages a little longer (heck, I still use Studio 2 for batch conversions when I want Olympus color and Raw Developer when I want most detail). Aperture is best overall solution for me from start to finish.

Except for Panasonic LX3.......

BTW, 'sources' tell me Aperture 3 is ready to go and it is just a matter of when the corporate folks want to release it.

jonoslack

:D:D resistance is futile Jono :D:D You and I are "dyed in the wool" Aperture users. Wait 'till late Nov for Aperture X to be released before you contemplate further on the matter. At least then you can decide if the direction of the new AX fits with what you have, or it's time to export to something else.

From my own point of view, I'm pee'd off with the speed drop of Aperture in Snow Leopard on my MBP. It's time to replace my trusty G5 PPC with a newer box and I'm torn between the hugely expensive Mac Pro or the new iMac i7 27in. But this decision is on hold until AX ships and I see what the reports of speed increase are like on multi core boxes. Also in the hope Apple will also increase the base processor on the Mac Pro soon.

Failing all the above, C1 v5 is looking very nice, I could almost make the switch now. The only thing stopping me is all those lovely plugins I have collected for aperture and the simple basic fact that I can't even print an image from within C1.

So keep the faith Brother, all will be revealed soon ;)
Hi Eoin
Sorry, missed this last week.

Well C1 is a loser because you can't print, produce a web page, and everything (therefore) must be converted to another file.

I haven't done snow leopard yet as it seems my elderly (but still working) Epson 4000 isn't supported . . and Silas keeps swearing at it!

I was hacked off by the implications of a May 2010 delivery for Aperture 3, but it seems it might even be this month :clap:

We shall see, but LR3 ain't for me (that's for sure!).

jonoslack

whew, Jono - I so glad to read this post to know it isn't just me!

I've been feeling like I am getting too far behind, so I've spent the last few days playing with Capture ONe and Lightroom 3 beta --- and hating every minute of both.

I went back to Aperture to see if I was exaggerating the ease of it in my memory - nope, it really is a whole lot easier and less aggravating. And I keep thinking the conversions don't look as 'harsh' as they do in LR or ACR.

So I'll stick to the Ice Ages a little longer (heck, I still use Studio 2 for batch conversions when I want Olympus color and Raw Developer when I want most detail). Aperture is best overall solution for me from start to finish.

Except for Panasonic LX3.......

BTW, 'sources' tell me Aperture 3 is ready to go and it is just a matter of when the corporate folks want to release it.
Hi There
So glad to have more moral support.

It's a bit like getting pissed off with your best friend who is a bit slow buying his round . . . and meeting up with some flash git who insists on buying you alco-pops instead of a glass of wine!

I hope you're right about the delivery - presumably LR3 beta will tip them in to action if you're right.

AS for the LX3 / D-lux4 / G1 / Ep1 etc. I guess the problem is the lens adjustments - surely they're going to have to bite that bullet.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I am strangely relieved that you have come to a decision. I look forward to all the wonderful images you'll make with Aperture.

davemillier

Jono

You are a wonderful photographer, your work looks very fine irrespective of what hardware and software you use but you really do suffer from camera equipment angst. Always chopping and changing, buying and selling and never satisfied. It amazes me, and seems such a waste of emotional energy when it clearly doesn't matter one jot what you use, the results always look good.

Obsessing over the latest and greatest, spending thousands for some imagined 0.0001% improvement, a rush of excitement, followed by the depths of disappointment, quickly followed by new anticipation....

.... there is some kind of disease that seems to afflict certain photographers and hifi buffs equally.

I recently joined my local camera club. I can't say I've particularly enjoyed the experience so far but one thing that stands out - is no one has any interest in talking about cameras or software or even technique.

The club essentially concentrates entirely on viewing and discussing pictures.

In the two months I've been attending, not one person has discussed camera brands and models. lens characteristics or quality. Not once. It's like being at an art appreciation group. In some ways it's very refreshing and removes and awful lot of confusion and anxiety. You don't need the best of everything, just something that works.

And for what it is worth, switching between total workflow products like aperture and lightroom is not something that should be undertaken lightly - it's a major undertaking for anyone with a large library. The logistics are such that there would need to be a very big reason for doing so (like discontinuation of the product).

Hi There
So glad to have more moral support.

It's a bit like getting pissed off with your best friend who is a bit slow buying his round . . . and meeting up with some flash git who insists on buying you alco-pops instead of a glass of wine!

I hope you're right about the delivery - presumably LR3 beta will tip them in to action if you're right.

AS for the LX3 / D-lux4 / G1 / Ep1 etc. I guess the problem is the lens adjustments - surely they're going to have to bite that bullet.

Marc Wilson

I've been trying out Aperture and LR over the last week.
Purely for importing and calaoguing as I still process in C1.
They both work well replacing Photo mechanic and iveiw media for those two jobs.
Both have good points but...
I like to keep my photos organised in various seperate folders in external hard disks, etc...separate folders for commercial work, personal work, fine art, stock, etc, etc
So no libraries for me but I do like the catalogues in LR as they allow me to keep a catalogue on my main laptop for each hard drive's images. Simple, well organised, etc.
Also the catalogue is fairly small..approx 1 gig for for example one particular drive.
In Aperture, even using referenced files to their hard drive location, as they are in LR, I can only put all the info in the one library and this library is almost 10 gig for the same files as the one in LR above.
Is their a way to use catalogues or something similar in aperture in the same way as the catalogues in LR?
Thanks.