The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Serious issue with C1 5.0: Deleted eip-files!

S

steph.b

I have a very serious issue with sessions that are captured and processed within c1 4.8 and reopened within v 5.0 (migrated). The files are all ".eip". They have an LCC-Correction applied. C1 V5 can´t find the LCC´s and gives an error message. But that is not the problem. If i create a new LCC and apply it to the files, the files appear in the image browser with a small eye-symbol. if i want to view the file it is not displayed and a warning sign appears on black screen. If I reopen the session, the previews even have disappeared from the browser.
Happened not all the time, but often. And on both computers (MacPro, and MacBook).
I was glad to had a backup, because the files couldn´t be handled anymore in any way. That means they are still on the computer but there is no way to open them.
A method to avoid this problem is to create a new session, import (copy) all the files from the col45-session to a new folder and start from the ground. But this is time- and memory-cosuming and very frustrating. As I had some troubles running both versions on my computer, i deinstalled 4.8 completely.
I really wonder, that nobody else had this issue with V5.

Any ideas?
PhaseOne listening?

Thanks

Steph.

I shoot with Cambo WRS on a P45. Shooting architecture. I need a LCC for every shot.
Mac OS is 10.5.

Last edited:

Henry Goh

Just wondering if you have made sure a Process Recipe is selected under Proof Profile? C1 V5 has a known bug that the profile does not stick. This will be corrected inthe next update AFAIK.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm not sure about the glitch you are reporting as I have been working very hard on tutorials/tips etc about Capture One 5 rather than bug finding/reporting (since we are not yet recommending it for general production usage).

However, please remember that an EIP format is just a glorified ZIP and can always be unpacked manually in order to use/recover/find the original raw file. It's essentially impossible to lose/corrupt a file in Capture One because it never makes and write command to the original raw file - which is the purpose of the EIP format since the raw file and the associated LCC and settings (adjustments) file get zipped together so that they stay together even though the original raw file is not changed.

Read What the Heck is EIP.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off

S

steph.b

However, please remember that an EIP format is just a glorified ZIP and can always be unpacked manually in order to use/recover/find the original raw file. It's essentially impossible to lose/corrupt a file in Capture One because it never makes and write command to the original raw file - which is the purpose of the EIP format since the raw file and the associated LCC and settings (adjustments) file get zipped together so that they stay together even though the original raw file is not changed.
Thank you, Doug for your answer. I tried it, renamed the destroyed file to .zip and got an error message after the extraction process. Other files in this session (not yet touched, not yet destroyed) can be easily unzipped. So it is a very serious damage. I had this issue on two computers. Nobody else? (Maybe I am the bug...)

Steph.

thomas

Thank you, Doug for your answer. I tried it, renamed the destroyed file to .zip and got an error message after the extraction process. Other files in this session (not yet touched, not yet destroyed) can be easily unzipped. So it is a very serious damage. I had this issue on two computers. Nobody else? (Maybe I am the bug...)
on the website of Capture Integration there are 3 eip's: http://www.captureintegration.com/tests/phase-one/
What about these files? Do they show up correctly? Are you able to unpack them within the browser (right click on file -> unpack) of C1 5.0?

S

steph.b

Hello Thomas, no problem importing the files. The white balance is wrong (in the shots) but they are displayed correctly. no problem unpacking them in c1.

Did some testing of C1 5.0 today and it starts crashing.

Frustrating!

thomas

Did some testing of C1 5.0 today and it starts crashing.
did you make a clean uninstall of the prior version?
-> http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/11/20/uninstalling-capture-one-4-on-mac/
Try that. In addition search for all *.cop and all *.cof files and delete them.
If you have stored important LCC settings you can't re-create from the actual LCC shots for some reason you should copy this folder on the desktop first:
~/Library/Application Support/Capture One/LCC profiles

Install V5.
Do not open an existing session.... create a new one
import some eip files in the new session.

Does that work out?

S

steph.b

Sorry for being offline such a long time. Short report: Went out shooting, took some courage, did some careful testing.
It looks like the problems are the LCC applied EIP´s that are produced in V4. If I convert a session I get dozens of warning windows saying that C1 can´t find the applied LCC. These warnings continously appear when I browse through the pictures of the session. As Eip´s I can´t remove the LCC. If I try so or/and apply a newly created LCC the pictures are destroyed (see above).
Unpacking the EIP´s directly after converting seems to solve the problems (so far, careful testing...). No more warnings. No more (literally) destroyed files

And: yes, I did a clean install. But C1 doesn´t run stable.
For example there must be an opened session to create a new one without a crash.

Will continue testing...

Steph.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And: yes, I did a clean install. But C1 doesn´t run stable.
For example there must be an opened session to create a new one without a crash.

Will continue testing...

Steph.
Try nuking all the old .cos files in the session folder that's crashing. I had a similar issue in one large session and this corrected it.

FORGET the EIP thing...
+1 definitely!!!

thomas

Try nuking all the old .cos files in the session folder that's crashing.
or maybe copy it to another location first (in case that you need the settings later...). Yes, the setting files are quite prone to cause problems in later versions of the software. Actually C1 only runs fast and stable with sessions/files created in the respective version of the software. But if you isolate older settings C1 runs very good (here).
That's a problem with EIP as well, of course. If a version 5.0 can't handle an EIP file from 4.8.3 correctly (not even WB) then you really shouldn't store the files as EIP.
I really like C1 very much (esp. 5.0/5.1): But, hell, I even store the installers of the software versions together with my RAW files and sessions as I simply don't believe that future versions of C1 will open them correctly. Too, I store the processed 16bit TIFs... you never know :shocked: