The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

capture one is just an instable software

Paratom

c1 vers. 4 I had to re-install because it wasnt possible to open it any more.
now I have Vers. 5 test version and it crashes every 10 minutes. I need to restart the computer before being able to restart c1.

sorry- I like the conversion-results but the stablility is bad IMO.
Even the Sinar windows beta software seems more stable.

I am also disappointed regarding MAC. The display and speed is good but I can not see any stability improvement over windows xp-pro.
thats it.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Sorry to hear about your problems. Both sound frustrating. It probably doesn't help much to know that my experience is exactly the opposite. Perhaps a call or email to tech support at both Phase One and Apple are in order.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Vers. 5 test version

There is your issue right there . The beta version had crashes. It is very stable now as a real production version.

Paratom

Vers. 5 test version

There is your issue right there . The beta version had crashes. It is very stable now as a real production version.
thanks Guy-I thought the test version is the same just without code.
I do not yet have Snow Leopard. Could it improve stability?

Guy Mancuso

No there was like 4 versions of the beta until final release so that is more the issue it seems if you have a copy of that. Snow leopard should really not have much of a effect but it is designed with Snow in mind. To be honest I would upgrade to SL anyway . Which is real stable now

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
test or trial? if it is C1 test it sounds like a beta as Guy said. But if you downloaded a trial version, it should be stable, but you probably want to follow the proper uninstall procedure for 4.x as that has known issues for stability...

Scargos2

I am using trial 5 from last week, the apple delete, to delete a picture was working and then stopped. now I have to go to file permanent delete, that up comes, do really want to delete from hard drive. What a pain in the---. The spot removal does not remove a very dark dust spot,very well,leaves some of the spot.
Spot removal needs some work,needs a key stoke to open the spot removal tool and then close.

Guy Mancuso

I am using trial 5 from last week, the apple delete, to delete a picture was working and then stopped. now I have to go to file permanent delete, that up comes, do really want to delete from hard drive. What a pain in the---. The spot removal does not remove a very dark dust spot,very well,leaves some of the spot.
Spot removal needs some work,needs a key stoke to open the spot removal tool and then close.
They really should have called it a dust removal tool because that is ALL it will do . It acts more like a healing brush and not a clone out tool in PS. So actually it is working properly but it wants dust bunnies not spots. They actually need both tools and i suspect the next update will have it. It was on a beta than removed for final. Must have created a issue during beta and most likely they will tweak it and give it back. No promises though

KETCH ROSSI

C1 5 Pro Upgraded version from 4, not free upgrade as stated but paid $99 for it, any way no issues here at all, works great and love it, using Mac platform, only issue I have is that when making adjustments the image becomes blurry for few instants, and is not comfy, not sure if this is an issue of my settings or not, just never had this i Aperture or on LR2.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ketch, C1 image temporarily blurs as it's changing adjustments, and lets you know it's done when it snaps back to focus.

Guy Mancuso

Also Ketch may want to set your previews at like 1200 in the preference panel. i found that to be a good balance between speed and quality of preview.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
whatever is the de-convolution algorithm, Jack?
Simply stated, it is the mathematical function applied to the raw sensor data during raw conversion that determines exactly what the final processed color-value for each pixel should be.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Simply stated, it is the mathematical function applied to the raw sensor data during raw conversion that determines exactly what the final processed color-value for each pixel should be.
Or even more simply: the math that finds the itty bitty details in your file.

Better deconvolution = Better and more natural detail

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
c1 vers. 4 I had to re-install because it wasnt possible to open it any more.
now I have Vers. 5 test version and it crashes every 10 minutes. I need to restart the computer before being able to restart c1.

sorry- I like the conversion-results but the stablility is bad IMO.
Even the Sinar windows beta software seems more stable.

I am also disappointed regarding MAC. The display and speed is good but I can not see any stability improvement over windows xp-pro.
thats it.
XP Pro is an OS from 2001. Using it is like time travel. Give your mac a few more months while you discover the neat modern features - plus the speed bump on similar software is enormous (something you could experience if you want to install XP as a second OS on your mac).

Check to make sure you're running 10.6.2 (i.e. that you've applied all Software Updates).

Check to make sure you followed our uninstall instructions to remove version 4 fully since you are now running version 5. Failure to do so is the #1 cause of instability.

Sounds like you don't have a trash folder set. Go to your first tab (the folder icon) and see if you have a trash folder. OR simply start a new session (which would force the creation of a new trash folder).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off

Paratom

test or trial? if it is C1 test it sounds like a beta as Guy said. But if you downloaded a trial version, it should be stable, but you probably want to follow the proper uninstall procedure for 4.x as that has known issues for stability...
sorry- I meant trial.

However I just over-installed it so that may be the issue?

Paratom

Thanks Doug,
I will try to unistall propperly and reinstall - maybe it helps.

XP Pro is an OS from 2001. Using it is like time travel. Give your mac a few more months while you discover the neat modern features - plus the speed bump on similar software is enormous (something you could experience if you want to install XP as a second OS on your mac).

Check to make sure you're running 10.6.2 (i.e. that you've applied all Software Updates).

Check to make sure you followed our uninstall instructions to remove version 4 fully since you are now running version 5. Failure to do so is the #1 cause of instability.

Sounds like you don't have a trash folder set. Go to your first tab (the folder icon) and see if you have a trash folder. OR simply start a new session (which would force the creation of a new trash folder).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off

EsbenHR

Or even more simply: the math that finds the itty bitty details in your file.

Better deconvolution = Better and more natural detail
Well, "the math" is called RAW conversion :)

The part that fills in the missing colors of a pixel is called "demosaicing" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosaicing).

"De-convolution" is a technique that undoes a "convolution" - usually a blur. Ye olde Unsharp Mask is an example and more advanced techniques can be useful (correcting for lens artifacts is one example).