The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RAW Converter Comparo

etrigan63

I think this would be a good topic for discussion. Outside of the vendor provided RAW converters, we should talk about others that we use, why we use them and how best to use them.

What do you guys think?

etrigan63

Cool. Guess I will start since this is my bright idea.

I mainly use two RAW Converters: Adobe Lightroom and Bibble Pro from Bibble Labs.

Reasons:
Adobe Lightroom:
*Excellent color rendition - originally only for my Canon 1DMk2 but v1.3 has improved a lot with respect to my Leica M8 images
*Printing - I have yet to find a program that makes printing on my Epson R800 as easy as Lightroom. Once I have my settings tweaked, I save it as a User Preset and VOOM! just print and go and not have to worry about it. It even sets the paper sizes.​
Sample image from LR 1.3

Bibble Pro:

*Workflow - I find it much easier in Bibble to process large groups of images. Plus the output queues can be setup to place the developed images in subfolders based on the queue type. LR only allows me to dump all exports into one folder as it has no capacity for relative folders.
*Noise reduction - Bibble Pro comes with Noise Ninja built-in. If you have a NN registration key, you can enter it and unlock NN fully within the program. Does a much better job than LR with noise.
*B&W Conversion - Bibble uses an extensive plugin architecture and one of the plugins is used exclusively for B&W conversion. Conversions are based on desired film types (Agfapan 100, Tri-X pan 400, Formapan 100, etc), developer (Dektol, 68F, 7.5min), and paper (Agfa Multicontrast). Very intuitive if you have film experience.​
Here is the same shot done in Bibble:

etrigan63

Just thought I would add a sample of Bibble's B&W prowess:

Here is the original shot in color:

Next a B&W Conversion using the Andy Pro plugin and little Deejay plugin adjustments:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I so much hope that this thread will continue since I need to decide what software to buy for postprocessing the M8 files. I have been completely spoiled by postprocessing the Nikon NEF files. With Nikon Capture 4.4
I could do everything nessessary, and it was just so easy. Didn't need anything else at all. Of course this won't work with the DNG files.
So I would be very grateful if you all would contribute to this thread about RAW converters. I have a lot to learn here :)

robsteve

Subscriber
I am a Lightroom user for the simplicity of most tasks.

If I had an image that I wanted the best colour and overall quality, I think Flexcolor and Capture One are still the best with the DMR and M8 files. Both of these programs have huge learning curves though.

Other than the optimized colour that Flexcolor and Capture One have, the other advantage they seem to have over Lightroom is correcting colour cast in highlights or shadows.

Last edited:

etrigan63

Lightroom 1.3 with 3rd party presets for Leica M8 have doing very well for me recently. I still prefer Bibble for B&W conversion (until Alienskin ports their Exposure plugin over to Lightroom).

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I put all of my M8 files into Lightroom. I like the library function and it does a good job processing most photos. I have some presets saved in Lightroom, but I would be interested in the settings that others use for their M8 files.

I use C1 vers 4 beta for any photo that is special and deserves more attention. I use Jamie's profiles (thank you, Jamie) for color and the JFI profiles for black and white conversion.

Everything that I develop from Raw goes to CS2 for final tweaking.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks a lot Rob, Carlos and Cindy !
Three votes for Lightroom, sounds like it might be the tool to start with :)
Is it possible to do everything nessessary in Lightroom ? Or to put it in another way, why would I need to buy Photoshop CS3 in addition ?
I don't need features for manipulation with layers, just features for optimizing lighting, contrast, colors etc.
(On the other hand I think there is a promo for the moment if you buy Lightroom + Photoshop CS3 together).

stephengilbert

Last edited:

Farnz

Another 'vote' for Lightroom here. I occasionally use Adobe Camera Raw if I know I want to continue post in CS3 but mostly it's LR for sheer ease of use.

Oh, and I use Irfanview from time to time to view dngs when I'm too lazy to import into LR but I don't adjust images in Irfanview.

Pete.

etrigan63

If you have Lightroom, there is really no need to start the process in PSCS3 unless you truly love ACR. You can right-click on any photo in LR and select "Edit in Photoshop" which causes LR to save a copy of the image as a 16-bit TIFF (ProPhoto colorspace) with all of LR's adjustments applied first. When you finish, the edited file is stacked on top of the original image.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Guys, a note on using the bullets in the advanced editor. Unfortunately, the font for those defaults to the same color as the font for the text editor, which is black. If we change the text a white or light gray, you couldn't read it in the text editor. Unfortunately black isn't the best color for text on our forum :D. You can't change that color either... However, there is a solution!

A little known BB code tag is "indent" and "/indent", of course surrounded by the square [ ] brackets. When you use that instead, you can make your own indented text and number or symbol and even color it. Here is an example:

1) The RED dot is bright
* The BLUE strap is ugly​

Cheers,

Maggie O

I use C1 vers 4 beta for any photo that is special and deserves more attention. I use Jamie's profiles (thank you, Jamie) for color and the JFI profiles for black and white conversion.

Everything that I develop from Raw goes to CS2 for final tweaking.
I originally was using ACR to do my M8 and D-Lux 3 files, but I never could get a result I liked with my M8, so I switched to Capture One LE. I really like what C1 gives me, though I miss the colors that the M8 generates in JPGs.

A link to Jamie's profiles and the JFI profiles would be greatly appreciated, too.

etrigan63

Hi Guys, a note on using the bullets in the advanced editor. Unfortunately, the font for those defaults to the same color as the font for the text editor, which is black. If we change the text a white or light gray, you couldn't read it in the text editor. Unfortunately black isn't the best color for text on our forum :D. You can't change that color either... However, there is a solution!

A little known BB code tag is "indent" and "/indent", of course surrounded by the square [ ] brackets. When you use that instead, you can make your own indented text and number or symbol and even color it. Here is an example:
1) The RED dot is bright
* The BLUE strap is ugly​
Cheers,
Except I can't go back and edit my posts. But I will note that for future posts.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I originally was using ACR to do my M8 and D-Lux 3 files, but I never could get a result I liked with my M8, so I switched to Capture One LE. I really like what C1 gives me, though I miss the colors that the M8 generates in JPGs.

A link to Jamie's profiles and the JFI profiles would be greatly appreciated, too.
You should be able to get Jamie's profiles here: www.fouldsroberts.ca/test/workaround/m8_profiles.zip

The JFI profiles can be purchased at jfilabs.com.

Maggie O

Thanks, Cindy! I bought the B&W films profile this afternoon.

Here's my first two conversions, using the Agfa 200:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Except I can't go back and edit my posts. But I will note that for future posts.
Yeah, but I can ;) As you can see, it's not a perfect substitute, but I think better than the list option in black. Let me know if it's not okay, and I'll set it back the way you had it.