The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speeding up C1...any suggestions?

Marc Wilson

Hi,

I have used C1 as my raw processor for the last three years or so.
Currently running 4.81 (non pro).

I have recently tried out aperture and LR and am going to use one of them for importing, selecting and cataloguing my images from now on (replacing Photo mechanic and Iview).

For RAW processing, (and tethered dslr shooting) I still prefer C1 for its workflow and results, etc, etc.

But it is much slower than the other two programmes...especially in terms of zooming to 100%, panning across an image, etc.
Aperture is instantaneous for these things, and LR almost so so what can I do to speed up C1 on my mac.
Its macbook pro 2.33 core 2 duo with 2 gig of Ram.
Of course ramping up ram, a machine with more processors etc would do the trick but as aperture runs at optimal speed on it, can C1 with some tips, tricks, upgrades, etc?

Thanks,

Marc

S

selsoe

Have you tried Capture One 5? It is faster in many respects.

Eoin

I find it hard to understand why Aperture is faster than C1 on the hardware you have.
I would have thought C1 was far faster than Aperture in most tasks.

If you've been using C1 for a while it might be worth reading
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=143865

Other than that I can't offer any advice with C1, Aperture is my main workflow engine.

Marc Wilson

Version 5 is a touch faster but still not up to aperture speeds for zooming, panning, etc.
Oh well...I'll look into it again in the new year.

Cheers,

Marc

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hi,

I have used C1 as my raw processor for the last three years or so.
Currently running 4.81 (non pro).

I have recently tried out aperture and LR and am going to use one of them for importing, selecting and cataloguing my images from now on (replacing Photo mechanic and Iview).

For RAW processing, (and tethered dslr shooting) I still prefer C1 for its workflow and results, etc, etc.

But it is much slower than the other two programmes...especially in terms of zooming to 100%, panning across an image, etc.
Aperture is instantaneous for these things, and LR almost so so what can I do to speed up C1 on my mac.
Its macbook pro 2.33 core 2 duo with 2 gig of Ram.
Of course ramping up ram, a machine with more processors etc would do the trick but as aperture runs at optimal speed on it, can C1 with some tips, tricks, upgrades, etc?

Thanks,

Marc
Marc,

Something to consider is that Aperture uses the GPU on your graphics card to accelerate certain functions. Neither Capture One nor LR do though. LR is definitely a pretty well written and fast app so it certainly true that it's pretty efficient.

Given your hardware I'd suggest that probably the best route to improving performance would be to consider adding more ram - you might be surprised how much difference going from 2GB to 4GB will have overall. I would also look very carefully at how much free space you have on your drive too because as this fills fragmentation (yes, even on a Mac) starts to affect all file based activity and it progressively gets worse.