Site Sponsors

Thread: CS4 64bit Slow performance saving layered file

Post Thanks / Like

CS4 64bit Slow performance saving layered file

My computer CPU is an Intel i7 with 12 gig of memory running Win7 and CS4 64bit. I have 3 IO controllers and a RAID on each one. O/S is on a RAID0 with 2 fast SATA drives. PS swap is on a RAID0 with 2 fast SATA drives. Images are on a RAID5 with 4 drives. CS4 reads and writes very large files extremely fast ... except when the file contains layers. I can write a 1.4GB file in under 5 seconds but if I add a simple b&w layer, the write time goes up to about 90 seconds. Neither the CPU or the IO systems do much during that 90 seconds. CPU util stays under 15%. It is like CS4 is in a coma and wakes up every few seconds and decides to write a little of the file.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: CS4 64bit Slow performance saving layered file

Got one similar configuration (less disks and no RAID5 though, and HD are Velociraptors) but do not experience this problem.
    Questions:
    -Does this occur when saving PSD or TIFF files or both?
    -If it happens with TIFF, what's your options like? Compression None or LZW? Byte order PC or Mac? And more important, Layer Compression RLE or ZIP?
    -Then (still with TIFF) do you have the usual message "saving layers will increase file size"
    - If it happens with PSD format, does the Maximize Compatibility option checked or not?

(note: if not availalbe when saving, the last two item settings can be checked in the Preferences>>File Handling menu entry)

Post Thanks / Like

It only happens with PSD files. I just saved a 2.3GB tiff file 2 background layers and 2 adjustment layers in about 7 seconds! Max compatibility is off when I save PSD's. Why the difference?

Post Thanks / Like

The tiff wasn't compressed so that is the difference. The PSD is slower because it is compressing. If I turn the compression on in the tif's, they slow down too (though still a little faster). I guess I am switching from psd's to uncompressed tiff's :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good If you want to give a try at compressed TIFF with such large files, make sure you test this set of settings first: LZW/Interleaved/IBMPC/RLE. Using the ZIP option in either Image or Layer Compression would drastically slow you down (and jpeg is destructive as -alas- we all know...).