The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

help with C1 please

J

Jamesmd

Hi all !

I just upgraded C1 4 pro to C1 5 pro ( as aperture doesn't give sings of life :-( )

the thing is , it very very very slow .

What do I do ? how do I clean instal ,or is there something I should do I'm not.

Should I delete C1 4pro ?

I'm running on Imac 2,66 I C 2 duo , 4GB
Mac OS 10.6.2

And a stupid question by the way , what is focus mask for exactly ?

Thanks

Scargos2

Focus mask. best if you down load the capture one instruction book and read it.

for info ,on program running slow, there is instructions in this section, read posts that are below this.
Good Luck Rick

J

Jamesmd

thanks Rick !
I had read it , I just wondered if there was some hidden mystery I didn't get to. :confused:

I did all the supposed things to do , and its still slow , I only have about 30 shots and its installed completely from 0.

Any idea ? do I need more ram ?

cheers

S

selsoe

The Focus Mask will show you which parts of an image is sharp. Where it's green, it's sharp.

How is it slow? In navigating, processing, adjusting? 4GB should be fine. Do you have many favorites, albums or images in your trash? Try creating a new session from scratch

J

Jamesmd

Hi selsoe , I only have 30 shots , no favorites . It's all new .

It's slow showing changes I do , about 7 sec , and if the shot is cropped , for example , it takes double time .

J

Jamesmd

Thanks again Thomas , it looks perfect now !!! :thumbs:

Cheers

thomas

Thanks again Thomas , it looks perfect now !!! :thumbs:
glad it's running now.
To keep performance set your image folders as "favorite" folders (right click on the folder in the library tree of C1 -> set as favorite).
Do NOT include too many folders with a high number of images in one session. It's better to create more sessions with less folders. Ideally create 1 session for each shooting. Reason is C1 caches favorite folders within the respective sessions.
Secondly, if C1 slows down again, first delete the .cop and .cof again... mostly this will solve the problem (but actually the problem should not occur again if you work with sessions like outlined above).
You'll likely have to delete the .cop and .cof after every software update... for some reason C1 has trouble with previews created with prior versions of the software (this does not apply to minor updates; but it does to updates including new tools or so). As the .cop and .cof files will be recreated automatically this is actually very doable (okay, the first creation of the previews may take some time but once they are created everything goes fast and smooth).

J

Jamesmd

:salute: thanks Thomas , thats exactly what I will do from now on.

thanks

ReeRay

I'm currently running a very stable V4.5.2 Pro and have had absolutely no problems over the past 12 months.

Now I'm tempted to upgrade to V5 PRO but nervous with all the problems folks seem to having.

I'm using a 24" Imac, 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4gb Ram and OS X 10.5.8.

Should I stay put or make the leap?

I'm not particularly IT savvy and Mac help in my area is non existent!

Thank you for any feedback

Henry Goh

ReeRay,

C1 allows you to have more than 1 version installed. In fact, I still have V3.7.8 installed while running V4.XX and then in the last few months went to V5.0.1. In that context, you can download the trial version of 5.0.1 and run it independently to see if you have issues. Only thing is try to avoid assessing the same folders as those being used by V4.XX for the time being. Create new sessions and folders and shoot some new images into them. The reason is some time the .col45 clashes with .col50. The .col files are the preferences and so may give some issues. As long as you are assessing fresh folders not assessed by V4.XX then there will be no .col45 file inside those folders and hence no clashing. After you are happy about V5.0.1, then you can remove V4.XX if you so choose.

Hope my 2 cents is helpful.

ReeRay

Thanks Henry

I'm a little unsure about creating new sessions and folders.

Could you guide me on this?

As I said - a little challenged with IT!

Henry Goh

After you have installed V 5.0.1 trial, launch C1. From the File -> New Session. After that you can import you new raw files into this session and work on them.