Site Sponsors

Thread: LightZone vs CS3 and Exposure for B&W?

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LightZone vs CS3 and Exposure for B&W?

I keep seeing the lovely small sensor work Mitch does with LightZone in B&W. Is there a great gain in using LightZone over CS3 with Exposure 2 for B&W work.

I'm still trying to get my arms around how LigthZone's area selection differs from CS3.

I'm I just being a geek looking for a new software fix and should be focusing on my vision rather than the tools?

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LightZone vs CS3 and Exposure for B&W?

IMO, LightZone does particularly film-like B&W conversions, especially at higher ISOs.

Here's my collection LightZone processed pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the free demo thingies the software companies provide now. I have been able to feed the software-chasing-maybe-this-will-make-me-great beast without actually spending a bunch of cash. There are a lot of softwares that all do things slightly differently. Sometimes those slight differences are important. Sometimes they're just a PITA.

In some ways, all the variations remind me of the various developers of old, D-76, HC-100, Rodinol, etc. Some I use more than others, and some aren't worth the trouble or expense for whatever tiny embellishment they might offer. But excellent results can be obtained with each if you invest the time to learn them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Photoshop will let you do just about anything, so when I use anything else, it's more about how using a program will help me think differently about any given photo. LightZone is good for showing me things I would otherwise miss in Photoshop, even though I could duplicate the look with CS3.