Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Aperture 3 is here

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Aperture 3 is here

OK,
    I've got Kevin's GF1 fix working! Now I just need to understand Aperture libraries before making a fatal error in my set-up.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    OK,
    I've got Kevin's GF1 fix working! Now I just need to understand Aperture libraries before making a fatal error in my set-up.
    Hi There Terry
    I would make sure that you keep the files external rather than importing to the Aperture Library (you can still get at them, but it's a real bother).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

As I wrote on Photo.net:

Personally, I've never liked Aperture's UI very much, but that's not what's stopped me from relying upon it. The lack of support for many raw file formats, the slow development and unresponsive nature of communicating with the Aperture development team are the big turn-offs for me.

I also have used Lightroom, and Photoshop with Camera Raw before that, since they came on the market. Adobe has always been responsive to my queries, they've issued updates on a regular basis, and they support every single camera of note in the marketplace on a timely basis.

No matter how wonderful the latest features Aperture supports might be, for my work it is a far away lower priority over timely support and support team responsiveness. I do use Aperture ... I use its book-making facilities ... but I only import TIFF files that I finish in Lightroom and Photoshop into it. It's just not worth the hassle otherwise. And if Lightroom 3 includes the publish and bookmaking features that I need, well, I can always use a little more disk space from removing software I no longer need.

I keep an open mind about it, I try every new version. This one will have to wait until I buy new hardware as it doesn't run on PowerPC systems (yeah, I work with ancient hardware) or I'll add it to my Snow Leopard test drive that I boot a borrowed MacBook with at present. But the issue of Aperture's poor support scenario remains irksome and less than delightful for being productive, IMO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey,
    I wrote something similar in the Apple Support discussion. Essentially Apple had an opportunity to get it right on RAW support with the release of Aperture 3 (by having full on RAW support for current major cameras (missing A850 and most of the Sony lineup, the two Pen, GF1, and people keep adding to the list on my post)).

By coming out with a new version and essentially once again screwing up the RAW support it makes this look like a less serious effort and once again will hurt their product sales. This is so fundamental I can't believe what a mistake they made.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Godfrey - and Terry
    I also find it hard to believe how crass they are about camera support. Putting basic support in for the EP1 wouldn't have taken more than a few minutes (on the basis of how well the E30 support works. They've had more than one M9 camera from Leica since September (apparently) and still nothing. As for the Sony 850 - surely that ought to be simple too. As for supporting the G1 . . . and not the GF1; one wonders whether this lot have their heads buried.

As you'll know Terry, I actually planned to move to LR when beta 3 arrived in the autumn, I spent nearly a month importing projects and re-processing files . . . but in the end I just don't like it as much as Aperture, the UI, but most importantly the image quality and the the heal/spot tool which is so superior in Aperture (at least, it is if your countryside is full of powerlines)

Basically, I'll stick with it unless 3 is a catastrophe, I really can't see me getting any new cameras in the near future (almost everything is done with my M9 these days), and the A900 and EP-1 are great for the rest. For the first time since digital began I'm feeling settled from a gear point of view (just don't talk about lenses)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,
    I'm at home today so I've had a little time to play.

Running on a Mac Pro 2.66 8 core 12Gb ram Std 1Tb boot drive (system & apps) and 3 x 300Gb velociraptor HDD in a Raid 0 config with a 128k stripe size for all data. GTX 285 Graphics card with 1Gb Ram. Snow Leopard 10.6.2

I took one of my libraries with 2100 full size Sony a900 images each @ 36MB
    All images are stored within the library none are referenced. Total size 70Gb.

In A2 (aperture 2.1.4) I removed all previews for each project, Library now 66Gb

In finder spotlight I deleted all ap.* files. Library now 64Gb.

Rebooted and started A3 Trial (aperture 3 Trial) and imported library. It took about 12 min to import the library and then it started to process the faces very slowly. I stopped A3, changed preferences to eliminate the face recognition and started from scratch with a fresh library. Again 12 min for the import and it started to process the previews and thumbnails. 30 min later all previews and thumbs were generated.

Opened the project to see all adjustments were still there but all images needed to be reprocessed to A3 engine. Went to the top library (now a blue folder under which all projects are listed for this library) right clicked and selected reprocess masters. Selected on the popup window , all photos and selected reprocess existing versions. Time about 50 seconds.

Opened the show activity and it was regenerating all previews and thumbnails about another 15 min.

All images still have adjustments applied. This was an import library into A3 trial library and not a conversion of an existing A2 library from A3.

New A3 Library size is 65Gb.

At no stage did A3 consume more than 2Gb of Real Memory
    Virtual Memory reported as 7Gb
    Max % CPU was 200%

And before anyone starts , this is not a scientific test, just my observations
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just curious... but has anybody tried importing an M9 file into Aperture 3... because I downloaded one and tried it and it seemed to work OK

K

matmcdermott

The M9 files I shot back in December seemed fine under Aperture 2, supported or not. Why would they be different under A3?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    They've had more than one M9 camera from Leica since September (apparently) and still nothing.
    my guess is they probably aren't anxious to return them -- which they's have to do if they actually released the profile

Post Thanks / Like

.....For the first time since digital began I'm feeling settled from a gear point of view (just don't talk about lenses)
    Amen Brother!, now if I could just kill off the MF curiosity that would be bliss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When Guy tested the S2, I tried some files, and they worked in Aperture 2, and from http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

"Aperture works with most DNG files generated from cameras that support this format and with DNG files generated by the Adobe DNG Converter with the “Convert to Linear Image” option turned off"

Quote Originally Posted by matmcdermott View Post
    The M9 files I shot back in December seemed fine under Aperture 2, supported or not. Why would they be different under A3?

Post Thanks / Like

Aperture has native support for DNG. AFAIK it reads the colour matrix values in the files and applies what it reads.

Assuming of course Leica have populated the fields correctly it should work. But I am reminded of FW updates for the M8 where these values were amended which resulted in better decoded within aperture

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    But I am reminded of FW updates for the M8 where these values were amended which resulted in better decoded within aperture
    curious what these are? i went over to C1 because i couldn't live without Jamie Roberts' profiles for lenses without IR filters. as it so happens, i still use these profiles, even though i now have the proper filters for all my lenses.

(i do use Aperture for my Ricohs and, one day, will actually sort my library out when i get a computer large enough to handle it.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I have a 17" Macbook pro 2.66 unibody with 4 gb RAM with 500Gb HD. Image files are on a firewire 1TB drive
    I tried again and converting the old library (28gb).
    After 4 hours, it still had 23,324 master metadata to process and was reporting 6% complete - at this point the computer reported:
    Your Mac OSX startup disc has no more space available for application memory. It still seemed to be carrying on, but I lost the will to live.
    The computer was quite unusable during this process - a rough estimate was that it had another 2 days and 20 hours to go.

I'm now trying your importing routine (from the old library) to see how this goes instead - it's been going for 5 minutes, but at least something seems to be happening (even if it's all pinstripe!).

Converting big libraries seems to be a bad idea.

all the best
    Last edited by jonoslack; 10th February 2010 at 09:34.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    curious what these are? i went over to C1 because i couldn't live without Jamie Roberts' profiles for lenses without IR filters. as it so happens, i still use these profiles, even though i now have the proper filters for all my lenses.

(i do use Aperture for my Ricohs and, one day, will actually sort my library out when i get a computer large enough to handle it.)
    HI Cam
    . . . and others - I've been using Aperture 2 for the M9 files since June. I think it does a better job than either Lightroom or C1 - sometimes indoor shots are too pink, but a small adjustment to the yellow hue seems to do the trick (+ about 8%).
    I don't know yet whether it's the same with A3 - but I know they open okay, because I've seen 'em!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Big problems with display here

Tried to use the Retouch tool, and... very strange things happen. After applying the brush, sometimes the display shows garbage (see below), sometimes it shows another image on which I have worked previously, and then reverts (or not !) to showing the image on which I am currently working.

Mac Pro first generation (1,1), Dual-Core Intel Xeon, with 9GB RAM, and ATI Radeon HD 3870 card (512 MB RAM).

-- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

Cam,
    This is taking me back.....

When the M8 was released by Leica there was no native support for the M8 in Aperture. There was even no native support for DNG either.

We played around and found a Nikon profile within the aperture raw.plist that when renamed would decode the M8 file with acceptable results. I spent a long time looking a the matrix values within the M8 DNG and when Apple finally introduced M8 support these values were present in the aperture M8 raw profile. Then there was an update to the M8 firmware in which Leica changed the matrix values. Then Apple introduced a new version of Aperture and the M8 raw profile had 2 different matrix values to address the Leica change and the original. I presume this was what it was for.

What's currently happening with the M9 I think is.... since there is no native raw profile it's reading the standard DNG profile and may be applying the canned Apple DNG profile or reading the M9 matrix values which may not be quite settled yet.

More info can be found on LUF by searching for the aperture resource thread. It was never meant to be a replacement profile to compensate for the IR contamination. Rather just to get support for the M8 camera for us die hard Aperture users.

Post Thanks / Like

.....at this point the computer reported:
    Your Mac OSX startup disc has no more space available for application memory.
    How much free space have you got on your 500Gb drive? and where is your old and new library residing?, on the internal or external?.

Lost the will to live seems very drastic

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How much free space have you got on your 500Gb drive? and where is your old and new library residing?, on the internal or external?.

Lost the will to live seems very drastic
    Well, the will to be patient!
    there was 210 Gb free when I started, and 196Gb free when that message came up - both libraries are on the internal drive, the data on the external.

The Import routine seems like a much MUCH better idea - not only is it importing pretty fast - it's imported 10,000 in about 20 minutes, but the computer actually works at the same time!

We're going out to dinner this evening, so I'll leave it running, then I'll do reprocess the masters.

As I said before, the M9 files look fine . . . just like they did in A2.

I'd almost forgotten about the plist hack for the M8 - nothing like that needed now!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay
    Actually I have 47,000 images in my library.
    I imported from the old Library, as per Eoin's suggestion. This took around 8 hours - perfectly supportable, especially as the computer wasn't too bogged down.

When it had finished, I right clicked on the library and clicked on reprocess masters - task bar didn't move in an hour so I selected cancel, and it said that the masters didn't need reprocessing.

It seemed a bit slow, but I clicked on one gallery - it froze. I had to force quit (I gave it an hour). I restarted the computer.
    It took 2 minutes to load. It was grotesquely slow and now half the thumbnails are on their sides
    In the activity monitor it says:
    Updating Library
    Processing 82,644 items
    it's doing about 10 items per minute . . .sounds like 9 days.

On the other hand, Pausing that processing, then reprocessing one project, it really does look good and quick. Maybe it will all be okay in the end.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono I presume you have disabled faces and look up places in the preferences?.

Yes even when it has finished importing and doing all it's stuff it will need to re generate thumbs and previews when you go into projects for the first time.

You really need to keep restarting the Mac to get back that inactive memory so as Aperture can use it.

On another matter (raw.plist hack) for the M9 if anyone want's to try it for themselves to add support for the M9, here is an entry I've created. I've no real world experience of the M9, but there was an image floating around the net of a big orange fish with red wings. It always blew the red channel within aperture, so this morning I read the matrix values and coded up the M9 entry.

I've tried it with a couple of M9 images I've found and it may sort out the red problem while you're waiting for Apple to get the finger out.

Details of how to hack the raw.plist are over on LUF.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono I presume you have disabled faces and look up places in the preferences?.
    Absolutely
    Yes even when it has finished importing and doing all it's stuff it will need to re generate thumbs and previews when you go into projects for the first time.

You really need to keep restarting the Mac to get back that inactive memory so as Aperture can use it.
    I've been doing that too - things are coming along a little. Pausing the rebuilding and working on a particular folder, and it does seem to do a grand job - love the brushes!

On another matter (raw.plist hack) for the M9 if anyone want's to try it for themselves to add support for the M9, here is an entry I've created. I've no real world experience of the M9, but there was an image floating around the net of a big orange fish with red wings. It always blew the red channel within aperture, so this morning I read the matrix values and coded up the M9 entry.

I've tried it with a couple of M9 images I've found and it may sort out the red problem while you're waiting for Apple to get the finger out.

Details of how to hack the raw.plist are over on LUF.
    Well - I've processed over 10,000 M9 images in Aperture 2 with the M9 since June, using a camera profile reducing the boost to 50% and increasing the red hue by 8% - it's producing great results.

As far as hacking raw.plist (I really don't think it's necessary in this case) - However I thought it was all different now? Last time I tried it was a much more complicated issue, and seemed to be 'self - repairing' - have you tried it recently?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

..have you tried it recently?..
    This morning, all seems ok. You're talking about updating the checksum I presume?. I don't really know if it makes a difference to be honest, I do it anyway, no big deal.

It's just for those who are complaining about the reds of the M9 within aperture, I don't really know if it will make that much difference as I don't (yet) have a M9 to test it with. But they are welcome to try and see if it makes any improvement.

Glad to hear you're making slow progress, at least it's progress. I'm reading about a lot of crashes on library conversion elsewhere. You'll notice there is now an open / switch library function in aperture. So there really should be no real need to keep such large libraries any more. I've always kept a few libraries, happy now I did .

Keep the faith, thumbnail generation is the slowest part (and I mean really slow) of the process, you'll just have to grin and bare it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This morning, all seems ok. You're talking about updating the checksum I presume?. I don't really know if it makes a difference to be honest, I do it anyway, no big deal.

It's just for those who are complaining about the reds of the M9 within aperture, I don't really know if it will make that much difference as I don't (yet) have a M9 to test it with. But they are welcome to try and see if it makes any improvement.
    I think the reds are only an issue in tungsten - I'm happy to have a preset changing the hue and saturation to deal with it (after all, one can apply it to batches). In natural light the results are fab (preferable to C1 and Lightroom in my very humble opinion).
    Also - the colour matrix values are likely to change in the near future anyway.
    Glad to hear you're making slow progress, at least it's progress. I'm reading about a lot of crashes on library conversion elsewhere. You'll notice there is now an open / switch library function in aperture. So there really should be no real need to keep such large libraries any more. I've always kept a few libraries, happy now I did .

Keep the faith, thumbnail generation is the slowest part (and I mean really slow) of the process, you'll just have to grin and bare it.
    I like to keep one library - because of searching etc. but it is getting there - and I simply switch off the massive update when I want to work (it's done 8,370 of 79,000 this morning). At least the rest of the computer works, whereas choosing the update option from load simply blocks up the whole computer.

The brushes are f***** fabulous - for the black and white landcapes I've been doing, I've been doing two stops - one to Vivezza and another to Silver Efex pro - this is only a first try, but when I've learned what I'm doing I think it'll be wonderful:

M9 WATE

As you can imagine - this is very high contrast and not simple lighting, but I think it's come together lovely

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

some what look like useful hints here for upgrading

the guy who writes this site has worked with Aperture since before it ever came out

http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2...g-upgrade.html

cheers

K

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ok... just read the comments on aperture expert and realised we are in an infinite support loop :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well,
    The GF1 is clearly not supported and even more the P65+ files are not even recognized as picture files
    The Canon files work well, it just happens to be the rig I am not now carrying.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Ahem... Beware this site... You might wish to look this up:
    http://photo.rwboyer.com/2010/02/02/...-and-aperture/

Enlightening.
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

bcf

I have known the owner of the apertureexpert site for many years as we worked together at Apple. What i do know is that as part of his role at Apple he had to know Aperture inside out.

I have no comment on the article you linked

but joseph is a talented photographer with a very deep technical knowledge of Aperture

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    ok... just read the comments on aperture expert and realised we are in an infinite support loop :-)
    Na!, we make progress over here. :-)
    and it's the fruit of our own labour.
    Jono and myself are aperture die hards,
    none of that lightroom rubbish for us :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hell i hauled my *** several time around europe promoting Aperture for Apple... i want my payback :-)
    K

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

for *** read small donkey/horse hybrid

I love freedom of speech :-)

:-)

K

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, I don't want to start a controversy here. I have read the page more carefully and I admit this could be coincidental. Sorry for bringing this up - the instantaneity of Internet is not always a good thing.
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

bcf

understood

thanks for bringing it up... joseph wan't aware of it... obviously he is on he warpath now

K

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Kevin
    I'm proud to be part of an infinite support loop
    Joseph's site seemed a good place to post this - but I've also sent it to Apple (no reply expected).
    As Eoin says - we've been around the houses on Aperture - he's the smart guy, and I'm the blunt instrument
    Still, I've seen enough to know that if it finally settles down then I'm staying (the brushes are wonderful).
    45,077 left out of 85,000 - getting there (wherever that may be!)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

still waiting to do the leap ( OK I am pulling favours to get serial number... hell I am scottish )

Josephs site is definately worth bookmarking.. he was the guy who taught me and he got his stuff from the the guys who wrote the program.

anyway.. absinthe fund not doing so well.... still i have learned a lot

K

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

still waiting to do the leap ( OK I am pulling favours to get serial number... hell I am scottish )

Josephs site is definately worth bookmarking.. he was the guy who taught me and he got his stuff from the the guys who wrote the program.

anyway.. absinthe fund not doing so well.... still i have learned a lot

K
    I assumed that you'd had EP and GF support whipped out from the golden master to support the absinthe fund . . . don't tell me I'm mistaken

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

absinthe fund stands. currently, after deducting web set up costs, at a small sniff of the barmaids apron

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

absinthe fund stands. currently, after deducting web set up costs, at a small sniff of the barmaids apron
    in other words, i'm still sober.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    in other words, i'm still sober.
    And you don't seem happy about that fact.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Deary me
    How depressing - if I could, I'd be over there in a flash to buy you an Absinthe in person . . . but it's rather a long way from Cornwall.

On the other hand (depending) a sniff of the barmaid's apron could be just the fillip we all need!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    And you don't seem happy about that fact.
    . . . . and?
    what an odd remark - how could one ever be happy to be sober

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

fear not about sobriety.... thats why god or stalin invented vodka...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

fear not about sobriety.... thats why god or stalin invented vodka...

Ah . . . but which of them (or was it the same person). . . . and who invented StJoseph?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been playing around in Aperture 3 and there is a lot that I like about it. One thing that I'm not sure I understand yet deals with the history of adjustments and have some other questions:

In Lightroom you can step back through the changes you've made to a file and see what you've done it what order. Is there an equivalent in Aperture? I see that you can turn on and off adjustments groups (like exposure) but that takes into account multiple things you could have done. In particular the history on brush adjustments would be useful.

In LR where you can click on the dots to activate/modify a previous brush/grad filter adjustments is there an equivalent?

For people who have used both LR and Aperture have you changed the flow of how you make adjustments?

Does Aperture have the equivalent of virtual copies? How do you make them and at what point in the process can you create one?

I really like the places implementation easy to add the info to the photos now I just wish my cameras tagged them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Versions is the Aperture equivalent of virtual copies - right click on an image at anytime and you can either create a new version with your current adjustments or a new version from the master file.

there isn't a history as such - but you could create a version at each stage.

K
    Last edited by kevinparis; 14th February 2010 at 08:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For those of you who use Aperture as a DAM but use other raw converters, just exactly how do you menage your workflow and files.
    thanks
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    For those of you who use Aperture as a DAM but use other raw converters, just exactly how do you menage your workflow and files.
    thanks
    -bob
    HI Bob
    Why would you do that when it covers the 'conversion' so well? (of course, the actual process of conversion doesn't really happen except for direct output - print/client/website)
    If you were to use other raw converters why would you bother to use Aperture?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Bob
    Why would you do that when it covers the 'conversion' so well? (of course, the actual process of conversion doesn't really happen except for direct output - print/client/website)
    If you were to use other raw converters why would you bother to use Aperture?
    Jono,
    Just following up on Doug Peterson's comment that he uses Aperture for organization.
    Frankly, Aperture does a totally horrid job of conversion on two of my three current cameras. The GF1's files are recognized as unsupported picture files, and the P65+ files are not even seen!
    So I will take your word that it does lovely conversions, but not for me.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Jono,
    Just following up on Doug Peterson's comment that he uses Aperture for organization.
    Frankly, Aperture does a totally horrid job of conversion on two of my three current cameras. The GF1's files are recognized as unsupported picture files, and the P65+ files are not even seen!
    So I will take your word that it does lovely conversions, but not for me.
    -bob
    Hi Bob
    Well, Kevin's little automation on facefullofbees.com will sort out the GF1 for you - but not the P65+
    The abiding criticism of Aperture is the camera support - I quite agree with it. I think we were all hoping this would be fixed in version 3 - apparently not.

all the best

Just this guy you know