Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Aperture 3 is here

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aperture 3 is here

I upgraded from Ap2 to Ap3. The upgrade process worked okay or so I thought. Now when I open Aperture, the program crawls at an unacceptable level, then shuts itself down after just a few minutes. This happens every time. I've read on several forums how problematic Ap3 is. Not sure if it worse for upgrades vs first time Aperture users but I am not pleased.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpmac55 View Post
    I upgraded from Ap2 to Ap3. The upgrade process worked okay or so I thought. Now when I open Aperture, the program crawls at an unacceptable level, then shuts itself down after just a few minutes. This happens every time. I've read on several forums how problematic Ap3 is. Not sure if it worse for upgrades vs first time Aperture users but I am not pleased.
    Turn off face recognition under preference.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    Versions is the Aperture equivalent of virtual copies - right click on an image at anytime and you can either create a new version with your current adjustments or a new version from the master file.

there isn't a history as such - but you could create a version at each stage.
    ugh. i'd hoped for something better than that.

Post Thanks / Like

History in Lightroom is excellent. MAde from the same guy who made th history in Photoshop (also very good). But the LR history is even persistent.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If history is important to you then use Lightroom - personally i have never missed it in Aperture - but then again i don't spend a lot of time on PP - thats my way of working

K

"History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition. We want to live in the present, and the only history that is worth a tinker's damn is the history that we make today."

Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

>If history is important to you then use Lightroom - personally i have never missed it in Aperture - but then again i don't spend a lot of time on PP

I would no base my decision for a RAW converter/DAM based on history. But very nice to have.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick follow up, I contacted Apple Help Desk and they were able to guide through a few steps which resolved the problem. So far, so good.
    John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a quick follow up, I contacted Apple Help Desk and they were able to guide through a few steps which resolved the problem. So far, so good.
    Hi There . . . and what were these few steps . . . I'm sure some of us would love to know.
    I keep thinking I've got it right, and then it grinds to a halt again.

At least I've seen how really wonderful, fast and full featured it CAN be!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a new update....fixing a bunch of problems

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2518

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There . . . and what were these few steps . . . I'm sure some of us would love to know.
    I keep thinking I've got it right, and then it grinds to a halt again.

At least I've seen how really wonderful, fast and full featured it CAN be!
    I half expected it to work so didn't really write down the steps but the successful component was building a new library. He had me try a few different things before doing this. It only required a few steps but takes some time, depending on how many photo's you have.

One step I did remember was while launching Aperture, hold down the 'shift' key. This limits the amount of activity going on in the background. You'll want to turn off the faces feature if you haven't already.

I'd contact Apple Service though if you get stumped. This appears to be a pretty generic problem and they seem to have a work around fix for.

One other thing. I upped my memory from 1M to 4M. The Apple Store people insisted that Aperture 3 is a resource hog and recommended doing this. I am not sure it mattered in the end but am happy I did it.
    John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi John
    Thanks for that.
    My problem with rebuilding was that it would grind to a halt after a few thousand photos . . . and so would the computer!

This version really does seem to have fixed it, which is wonderful. I know have a working library without crashing and with really quick brushes . . . it's all rather wonderful!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Have they added support for the E-Px and GF1 in the latest release?
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Have they added support for the E-Px and GF1 in the latest release?
    Here's a helpful listing:
    http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html
    John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Still no support - slow as usual.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Still no support - slow as usual.
    Carl,
    Aperture updates don't change camera support. For Apple, camera support gets updated with the operating system. There is an OS update due very soon. From reading the normal websites 10.6.3 is out there in beta with the developer community and the last 10.6.3 update is supposedly very close to release.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Carl,
    Aperture updates don't change camera support. For Apple, camera support gets updated with the operating system. There is an OS update due very soon. From reading the normal websites 10.6.3 is out there in beta with the developer community and the last 10.6.3 update is supposedly very close to release.
    Thanks Terry. I didn't realize that the camera support was tied to the OS upgrades.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Carl,
    This is not exactly true, although Mac OS X incremental updates can also include camera support updates. Camera support updates are distributed as "Digital Camera Raw Compatibility" updates when installed software triggers a need through Software Update. The most recent of these was released coincident with Aperture 3 ...
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...yupdate30.html
    ... and is installed with Aperture 3 or by Software Update if you have the iLife '09 application suite installed.

The raw processing services are supplied in the CoreServices.framework system library. Not something you want to mess with by hand, but it's not required that the operating system be updated to plug in the latest camera support.
    Last edited by Godfrey; 25th February 2010 at 09:42.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whoops Sorry Godfrey my bad.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The raw processing services are supplied in the CoreServices.framework system library. Not something you want to mess with by hand, but it's not required that the operating system be updated to plug in the latest camera support.
    Ah. Indeed Godfrey, however, messing with RAW.plist is something most of us have done to our good at some time or another.

Currently though, it's easier to use Kevin's nice little automator to change the name of the camera, as 'similar' cameras are supported for both the GF1 (G1) EP1&2 (E30)

Incidentally - although slightly flakey, when it's good Aperture 3 is completely stunning - much better than I'd expected and really quick as well. One has to assume that if it's fantastic most of the time, a couple of upgrades will make it fantastic all of the time!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Check the Software Update. New RAW compatibility update adding support for:

Hasselblad H3DII-50
    Leica M9
    Leica X1
    Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-P2
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
    Pentax K-7
    Pentax K-x
    Sony Alpha DSLR-A500
    Sony Alpha DSLR-A550
    Sony Alpha DSLR-A850

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

damn... there goes my lear jet :-)

K

Post Thanks / Like

Hello to all.

Great thread. A couple of general workflow-level questions:

I use ACR (CS4 extended version, so use Bridge to organise, and ACR for tweaking, and Ps for printing/output to web galleries for customers, etc.) and have been experimenting with C1.

Even though there are aspects of C1 that look interesting, I find that I always default to ACR, simply because it is a deep program that I know pretty well, and because its batch processing works well. Under deadline pressure, it's ACR all the way (my image numbers on a typical job are 400–600, or so, usually).

But as a Mac user, and a fan of a number of photographers here who like Aperture, I want to look at it too. But to even make the effort to get into another complex software, I am after a "Aperture looks like it would be better for X, Y, Z, but C1 for P, Q, and R, and ACR for this and that" kind of comparison. It's a time thing, basically.

If, for example, Aperture has better organising capabilities than Bridge, that would be great to know, and I would be starting as a complete Aperture newbie, so no old libraries to worry about, and I have fast machines and drives as well as a fast internet connection (sorry Jono!), so some of folk's concerns would not affect me.

Or very happy if this has been done elsewhere, and someone could point me in the right direction.

cheers and TIA, Kit

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Hello to all.

Great thread. A couple of general workflow-level questions:

I use ACR (CS4 extended version, so use Bridge to organise, and ACR for tweaking, and Ps for printing/output to web galleries for customers, etc.) and have been experimenting with C1.
    Hi Kit
    Well - Aperture 3 is rather unpredictable, it's a bit flakey right now, but it's also the most beautiful thing.

However, if you're coming from ACR and Bridge, then the conceptual leap you need to get over is the 'conversion' idea.

With Aperture (and Lightroom too), the idea is not to make a conversion, but to make the changes to the RAW file within the progam and only to do the output when you need it for web/client/print/whatever.

IMHO, and having really made an effort to convert to Lightroom (feeling that Apple had lost the plot) I feel that Aperture 3 is a wonderful thing, quick, efficient, intuitive and powerful. But it's important to understand the concept.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

damn... there goes my lear jet :-)

K
    Sorry . . . and there was me thinking you'd be buying the drinks next week

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono wrote:
    With Aperture (and Lightroom too), the idea is not to make a conversion, but to make the changes to the RAW file within the progam and only to do the output when you need it for web/client/print/whatever.
    How is this different to Bridge/ACR? Any changes you make to a file in the Raw window are reflected in Bridge once you close that window, and the output (conversion) can be done later in a variety of ways via Actions directly from Bridge. I am sure the point that you are making is significant, but I think that probably I don't get it (not enough coffee, perhaps?).

Whatever you can add will be gratefully received. Cheers, KL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah. Indeed Godfrey, however, messing with RAW.plist is something most of us have done to our good at some time or another.

Currently though, it's easier to use Kevin's nice little automator to change the name of the camera, as 'similar' cameras are supported for both the GF1 (G1) EP1&2 (E30)

Incidentally - although slightly flakey, when it's good Aperture 3 is completely stunning - much better than I'd expected and really quick as well. One has to assume that if it's fantastic most of the time, a couple of upgrades will make it fantastic all of the time!
    I don't mess with things like RAW.plist for clients or for serious work. That's the kind of thing that only hobbyists are willing to muck about with. For my needs, I want the vendor of the software I use to support the equipment I use. That way my use of the software has proper support and consistency in operation as well.

I see that another Digital Camera Raw Compatibility update has been released and Aperture will now support all the currently available Micro-FourThirds cameras. That's a good thing: no more messing with things you shouldn't.

I still don't like Aperture's UI very much. Dunno why ... I just don't. And I still use it for the book feature.

Lightroom is much more to my taste for the bulk of my workflow: less confusing, simpler, more straightforward. I find the tools more than satisfactory, and LR3PB's are better. Good enough for me. I'd rather do photography than hop back and forth between tools all the time. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

For info.

I did the upgrade yesterday from AP 2 to AP3 + update 3.0.1.

The conversion took about 8 hours ( during the night) for a library with a size of 50G ( almost 59,000 photos and).
    Library is on an external hardrive ( FW400) . I have a black macbook 2.2ghz with 4GB RAM.

Conversion went without any problems and this morning everything just worked fine. Most of my files are RAW ( Fuji S5pro) or scanned 16 bit TIFFS ( i.e. big files as a lot of it is from 6x6 or 6x7 cameras).

I will do more testing this weekend but for the moment I'm more than happy. I still find the repair tool a bit on the slow side but it is also true that my machine is a bit old...
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't mess with things like RAW.plist for clients or for serious work. That's the kind of thing that only hobbyists are willing to muck about with.
    don't be patronising Godfrey
    It doesn't suit you (and serious people do what they need to get what they want)

Just this guy you know

Jamesmd

jono , you must be a happy man today , all you wanted from Aperture you have !!

perhaps its the moment for a Riojita !!

salud ; chin chin

cheers

James

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

don't be patronising Godfrey
    It doesn't suit you.
    Sorry, but that's my opinion. I don't know any serious working photographer who depends upon hacked software, it's not sensible to: a bad business decision.

Happily, it looks like Apple has responded and issued an update which obviates all these hacks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

godfrey

agree that hacking software is not a smart thing to do in the longterm... my hack did not touch the software but rather alterted a copy of the raw file to make aperture recognise it. If i had wished i could have kept the originals for the time when they were supported.
    I am sure there were limitations to this approach, but i regarded the ability to work straight away with my files in an application i was comfortable with worth it.

happy now that the support is built in

K

Post Thanks / Like

@ Jono: I would really appreciate you expanding on the conceptual differences between ACR and Aperture. Is part of it that you don't open separate windows, like you do with ACR or C1? I have never used either LR or Aperture. Cheers, kl

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry, but that's my opinion. I don't know any serious working photographer who depends upon hacked software, it's not sensible to: a bad business decision.

Happily, it looks like Apple has responded and issued an update which obviates all these hacks.
    Editing configuration files is a long way from 'hacking software', which you surely understand - raw.plist is simply a configuration file, and making changes to it doesn't constitute 'hacking software'.

However, your remarks are breathtakingly condescending and patronising (not to mention calculatingly insulting) , even if they do represent your opinion (which of course you are entitled to).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ Jono: I would really appreciate you expanding on the conceptual differences between ACR and Aperture. Is part of it that you don't open separate windows, like you do with ACR or C1? I have never used either LR or Aperture. Cheers, kl
    Hi Kit
    I think the point is that you have the important facilities of ACR / Bridge and Photoshop all together at the file level, and yes, not just not separate windows, but not separate applications either.

Maybe you should get a trial of one of them and have a play around?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jono. My seeming reluctance is only my aversion to learning yet another deep software (I have spent years learning ACR and Final Cut Pro!). And yet I am inclining to this, simply because I am tired of dealing with Adobe (the cost of the annual upgrades, and their fear-based protection systems that make you jump through endless hoops for an uninstall-reinstall, etc.).

Nonetheless, I will get the trial! Thanks, sincerely. KL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Editing configuration files is a long way from 'hacking software', which you surely understand - raw.plist is simply a configuration file, and making changes to it doesn't constitute 'hacking software'.

However, your remarks are breathtakingly condescending and patronising (not to mention calculatingly insulting) , even if they do represent your opinion (which of course you are entitled to).
    Configuration files are software, just like executable files. Apple does not document or support modification of their CoreServices.framework configuration files. Perhaps you just don't like the word "hacking" ... Ok, "editing undocumented files whose contents you do not completely understand". There, all better? It means the same thing to me.

You can mince words around all you want. To me, hacking the system's configuration files (or the original image files ... even worse!), you are putting the system and your data at risk.

I don't do that for work that I need to rely upon.
    If you do and you're happy taking those risks, enjoy.

There's still enough about Aperture to keep me annoyed that its camera support, or lack thereof, is unimportant. ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono. My seeming reluctance is only my aversion to learning yet another deep software (I have spent years learning ACR and Final Cut Pro!). And yet I am inclining to this, simply because I am tired of dealing with Adobe (the cost of the annual upgrades, and their fear-based protection systems that make you jump through endless hoops for an uninstall-reinstall, etc.).

Nonetheless, I will get the trial! Thanks, sincerely. KL
    Well - you have nothing to lose (other than a few hours!).
    Personally, I like Aperture, but perhaps you should get both trials and see which suits you best (or least).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono: reporting back.

I have spent all day with the trial version of Aperture: I like it.

Two questions: is there a way to do lens correction, or does one have to run TIFFs through PTLens, or similar? And once one has used a keystroke command to get into an adjustment window, is there a keyboard way to increment values, to reduce mouse use?

I think the options for output are very clever and I look forward to exploring these further.

Cheers, KL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Configuration files are software, just like executable files.
    ?

Give it a break Godfrey - I'm not annoyed by your opinions, but by your continued implication that those who don't agree with you aren't serious.
    In my opinion it's rude and unnecessary.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono: reporting back.

I have spent all day with the trial version of Aperture: I like it.

Two questions: is there a way to do lens correction, or does one have to run TIFFs through PTLens, or similar? And once one has used a keystroke command to get into an adjustment window, is there a keyboard way to increment values, to reduce mouse use?

I think the options for output are very clever and I look forward to exploring these further.

Cheers, KL
    HI Kit
    Yes - sadly no lens correction yet - hopefully it'll come. In the meantime you need to shell out into either Photoshop or PTlens or similar (but it works quite nicely and keeps everything together).
    Not so hot on the shortcuts I'm afraid . . . . right and left arrow?
    There is a help topic on keyboard shortcuts.

If you haven't yet fiddled with 'versions', that's also very powerful.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if you highlight a value field in the Adjustments palette you can use the arrow keys along with shift and alt to change values by various increments. The tab key will take you to the next field and shift-tab will take you to the previous field.

K

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if you highlight a value field in the Adjustments palette you can use the arrow keys along with shift and alt to change values by various increments. The tab key will take you to the next field and shift-tab will take you to the previous field.

K
    HI Kevin - thank you for that - my trouble with keyboard shortcuts is that I always forget them!

Incidentally, maybe you have some insight on this issue (also posted on ApertureExpert).

3.01 has drastically improved things, and the RAW support is also a great bonus. I'm finding everything faster and basically GOOD. . . . however, if I chose the Aperture Activity Window, it says:
    Updating Library
    Processing Processing 29412 items 575 of 29,412

If you try and cancel the process, then it simply doesn''t - it says cancelling under status.
    It's stuck - presumably on a broken file, but how to find where it's stuck.

Any ideas?
    and I wonder how many others this is happening to who haven't actually opened the Activity Window.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

I ran into the problem you are seeing when trying to convert V2 to v3, and couldn't get it to either pause or cancel. Gave up, waited for 3.0.1, which did the trick. I was able to pause during 3.0.1 conversion (actually went from "Pausing" to "Paused"), but didn't try Cancel. If I was seemingly stuck on an image, I paused, quit, restarted, and things resumed well from there.

Don't know if that helps....

Rick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

?

Give it a break Godfrey - I'm not annoyed by your opinions, but by your continued implication that those who don't agree with you aren't serious.
    In my opinion it's rude and unnecessary.
    You have your opinions, I have mine. I think you trying to tell me my opinions are rude is totally unnecessary, which is a much better reason to call you rude, if you must know.

If you're not annoyed, why bother commenting at all? You don't like thinking o yourself as a hacker? I've hacked many many things in my life, and I'm neither proud nor ashamed of it. In the world where I worked for 20+ years, hacking is just as much a daily term as 'programming' or 'editing'. Many take pride in a good hack: it's still a hack, but a good one.

Much ado over nothing, as usual.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't feel the discussion about who is "rude" helps here.

Truth is: These are hacks. If hacks help they are of course welcome but still hacks .

If I need to perform a hack I do it any time. It still annoys me that the originator of the software seems to force me instead of providing a proper support.

>Much ado over nothing, as usual.

Agreed.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You don't like thinking o yourself as a hacker?
    Let's get the issue clear:

I have no problem with what these changes are called and I really don't mind being labelled a 'hacker' - 'hacking' was how it was always referred to in the long discussions with Eoin and others when we were getting cameras like the M8 to work properly in Aperture. Which was achieved, helping lots of photographers to process the files they wanted in the software they wanted to use (I can't take much credit for this - Eoin was the brains behind it). Kevin's action for 'hacking' Pen files has similarly been useful - and - yes - for serious working photographers as well.

As far as I'm aware nobody has had any problems using either technique - of course, one does it at one's own risk, and one backs up properly and keeps the original files (whether configuration files or RAW files)

Of course, I completely uphold your rights to think that this is a bad idea - of course, it's just a matter of opinion.

I have a problem with statements like:
    I don't mess with things like RAW.plist for clients or for serious work. That's the kind of thing that only hobbyists are willing to muck about with.
    and

I don't know any serious working photographer who depends upon hacked software, it's not sensible to: a bad business decision.
    Which, in the context of a discussion about how to achieve ends seem to me to be . . . erm. rude! I can't think of another word for implying that people who don't agree with you are mucking about and aren't serious!
    Last edited by jonoslack; 28th February 2010 at 02:11.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I don't feel the discussion about who is "rude" helps here.

Truth is: These are hacks. If hacks help they are of course welcome but still hacks .

If I need to perform a hack I do it any time. It still annoys me that the originator of the software seems to force me instead of providing a proper support.

>Much ado over nothing, as usual.

Agreed.
    Hi Uwe
    Perhaps you should read back a little - nobody was having a problem with the word 'hack' - just as you say, we do what we need to do to achieve what we want, and we're all annoyed by not having proper support.
    It was the obvious slurs directed at anyone who would do such a thing which was the issue.
    Perhaps there is a cultural difference here, but generally speaking arguing ad hominem is considered to be bad manners over this side of the pond - I have nothing against Godfrey's opinions, or his definitions (even if I disagree with them). Simply the personal attacks nested within them.
    Last edited by jonoslack; 28th February 2010 at 02:51.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin; tks for that. Is there a keystroke to highlight/make active the first of one's Adjustment panes?

And how do you add (for example) Curves to the list?

Jono: I own CS4 and PTLens; my question was about workflow. If one has to export to Ps for lens correction, how do you treat the resulting files? As far as I can see, the Aperture ouevre is a non-destructive window on one's raw files; these can be Exported in different ways. If you Export TIFFs to Ps for lens correction, what's the best way to deal with these non-Raw files?

TIA, kl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

kit

the keyboard shortcuts on Aperture are highly customisable - go to Aperture/Commands/Customise menu and you see there are many more commands that you can assign you own keystrokes to. Add curves doesnt have a keystroke by default but it is easy to add one.

the W key will cycle through the Library/Metadata/Adjustments tabs and Ctrl+C takes you straight to the adjustments panel.

What i cant see is any command to highlight the first adjustment in a particular pane

check this article for more on customising the keyboard shortcuts

http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2...ts-part-1.html

cheers

K

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono: I own CS4 and PTLens; my question was about workflow. If one has to export to Ps for lens correction, how do you treat the resulting files? As far as I can see, the Aperture ouevre is a non-destructive window on one's raw files; these can be Exported in different ways. If you Export TIFFs to Ps for lens correction, what's the best way to deal with these non-Raw files?

TIA, kl
    HI Kit
    I'm afraid Kevin is the expert here!
    However, I can answer this question.
    Choose Aperture / Preferences / Export
    Under External Photo Editor choose PS
    then you can choose the output type (tiff, 8 / 16 bit).

When you right click on an image, you will then get an option 'edit with adobe photoshop' This will then automatically create a new version and open it in photoshop.

I hope this helps.

Kevin - thanks for the shortcut information as well (I hadn't been there).

all the best

Just this guy you know