The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture 3 is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gio

When Guy tested the S2, I tried some files, and they worked in Aperture 2, and from http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

"Aperture works with most DNG files generated from cameras that support this format and with DNG files generated by the Adobe DNG Converter with the “Convert to Linear Image” option turned off"

The M9 files I shot back in December seemed fine under Aperture 2, supported or not. Why would they be different under A3?

Eoin

Aperture has native support for DNG. AFAIK it reads the colour matrix values in the files and applies what it reads.

Assuming of course Leica have populated the fields correctly it should work. But I am reminded of FW updates for the M8 where these values were amended which resulted in better decoded within aperture

cam

But I am reminded of FW updates for the M8 where these values were amended which resulted in better decoded within aperture
curious what these are? i went over to C1 because i couldn't live without Jamie Roberts' profiles for lenses without IR filters. as it so happens, i still use these profiles, even though i now have the proper filters for all my lenses.

(i do use Aperture for my Ricohs and, one day, will actually sort my library out when i get a computer large enough to handle it.)

jonoslack

Well, I have a 17" Macbook pro 2.66 unibody with 4 gb RAM with 500Gb HD. Image files are on a firewire 1TB drive
I tried again and converting the old library (28gb).
After 4 hours, it still had 23,324 master metadata to process and was reporting 6% complete - at this point the computer reported:
Your Mac OSX startup disc has no more space available for application memory. It still seemed to be carrying on, but I lost the will to live.
The computer was quite unusable during this process - a rough estimate was that it had another 2 days and 20 hours to go.

I'm now trying your importing routine (from the old library) to see how this goes instead - it's been going for 5 minutes, but at least something seems to be happening (even if it's all pinstripe!).

Converting big libraries seems to be a bad idea.

all the best

Last edited:

jonoslack

curious what these are? i went over to C1 because i couldn't live without Jamie Roberts' profiles for lenses without IR filters. as it so happens, i still use these profiles, even though i now have the proper filters for all my lenses.

(i do use Aperture for my Ricohs and, one day, will actually sort my library out when i get a computer large enough to handle it.)
HI Cam
. . . and others - I've been using Aperture 2 for the M9 files since June. I think it does a better job than either Lightroom or C1 - sometimes indoor shots are too pink, but a small adjustment to the yellow hue seems to do the trick (+ about 8%).
I don't know yet whether it's the same with A3 - but I know they open okay, because I've seen 'em!

all the best

bcf

Big problems with display here

Tried to use the Retouch tool, and... very strange things happen. After applying the brush, sometimes the display shows garbage (see below), sometimes it shows another image on which I have worked previously, and then reverts (or not !) to showing the image on which I am currently working.

Mac Pro first generation (1,1), Dual-Core Intel Xeon, with 9GB RAM, and ATI Radeon HD 3870 card (512 MB RAM).

Eoin

Cam,
This is taking me back.....

When the M8 was released by Leica there was no native support for the M8 in Aperture. There was even no native support for DNG either.

We played around and found a Nikon profile within the aperture raw.plist that when renamed would decode the M8 file with acceptable results. I spent a long time looking a the matrix values within the M8 DNG and when Apple finally introduced M8 support these values were present in the aperture M8 raw profile. Then there was an update to the M8 firmware in which Leica changed the matrix values. Then Apple introduced a new version of Aperture and the M8 raw profile had 2 different matrix values to address the Leica change and the original. I presume this was what it was for.

What's currently happening with the M9 I think is.... since there is no native raw profile it's reading the standard DNG profile and may be applying the canned Apple DNG profile or reading the M9 matrix values which may not be quite settled yet.

More info can be found on LUF by searching for the aperture resource thread. It was never meant to be a replacement profile to compensate for the IR contamination. Rather just to get support for the M8 camera for us die hard Aperture users.

Eoin

.....at this point the computer reported:
Your Mac OSX startup disc has no more space available for application memory.
How much free space have you got on your 500Gb drive? and where is your old and new library residing?, on the internal or external?.

:eek: Lost the will to live seems very drastic :eek:

jonoslack

How much free space have you got on your 500Gb drive? and where is your old and new library residing?, on the internal or external?.

:eek: Lost the will to live seems very drastic :eek:
:ROTFL: Well, the will to be patient!
there was 210 Gb free when I started, and 196Gb free when that message came up - both libraries are on the internal drive, the data on the external.

The Import routine seems like a much MUCH better idea - not only is it importing pretty fast - it's imported 10,000 in about 20 minutes, but the computer actually works at the same time!

We're going out to dinner this evening, so I'll leave it running, then I'll do reprocess the masters.

As I said before, the M9 files look fine . . . just like they did in A2.

I'd almost forgotten about the plist hack for the M8 - nothing like that needed now!

all the best

jonoslack

Okay
Actually I have 47,000 images in my library.
I imported from the old Library, as per Eoin's suggestion. This took around 8 hours - perfectly supportable, especially as the computer wasn't too bogged down. :thumbup:

When it had finished, I right clicked on the library and clicked on reprocess masters - task bar didn't move in an hour so I selected cancel, and it said that the masters didn't need reprocessing. :thumbs:

It seemed a bit slow, but I clicked on one gallery - it froze. I had to force quit (I gave it an hour). I restarted the computer.
It took 2 minutes to load. It was grotesquely slow and now half the thumbnails are on their sides
In the activity monitor it says:
Updating Library
Processing 82,644 items
it's doing about 10 items per minute . . .sounds like 9 days. :cry::cry:

On the other hand, Pausing that processing, then reprocessing one project, it really does look good and quick. Maybe it will all be okay in the end.

all the best

Eoin

Jono I presume you have disabled faces and look up places in the preferences?.

Yes even when it has finished importing and doing all it's stuff it will need to re generate thumbs and previews when you go into projects for the first time.

You really need to keep restarting the Mac to get back that inactive memory so as Aperture can use it.

On another matter (raw.plist hack) for the M9 if anyone want's to try it for themselves to add support for the M9, here is an entry I've created. I've no real world experience of the M9, but there was an image floating around the net of a big orange fish with red wings. It always blew the red channel within aperture, so this morning I read the matrix values and coded up the M9 entry.

I've tried it with a couple of M9 images I've found and it may sort out the red problem while you're waiting for Apple to get the finger out.

Details of how to hack the raw.plist are over on LUF.

jonoslack

Jono I presume you have disabled faces and look up places in the preferences?.
Absolutely
Yes even when it has finished importing and doing all it's stuff it will need to re generate thumbs and previews when you go into projects for the first time.

You really need to keep restarting the Mac to get back that inactive memory so as Aperture can use it.
I've been doing that too - things are coming along a little. Pausing the rebuilding and working on a particular folder, and it does seem to do a grand job - love the brushes!

On another matter (raw.plist hack) for the M9 if anyone want's to try it for themselves to add support for the M9, here is an entry I've created. I've no real world experience of the M9, but there was an image floating around the net of a big orange fish with red wings. It always blew the red channel within aperture, so this morning I read the matrix values and coded up the M9 entry.

I've tried it with a couple of M9 images I've found and it may sort out the red problem while you're waiting for Apple to get the finger out.

Details of how to hack the raw.plist are over on LUF.
Well - I've processed over 10,000 M9 images in Aperture 2 with the M9 since June, using a camera profile reducing the boost to 50% and increasing the red hue by 8% - it's producing great results.

As far as hacking raw.plist (I really don't think it's necessary in this case) - However I thought it was all different now? Last time I tried it was a much more complicated issue, and seemed to be 'self - repairing' - have you tried it recently?

all the best

Eoin

..have you tried it recently?..
This morning, all seems ok. You're talking about updating the checksum I presume?. I don't really know if it makes a difference to be honest, I do it anyway, no big deal.

It's just for those who are complaining about the reds of the M9 within aperture, I don't really know if it will make that much difference as I don't (yet) have a M9 to test it with. But they are welcome to try and see if it makes any improvement.

Glad to hear you're making slow progress, at least it's progress. I'm reading about a lot of crashes on library conversion elsewhere. You'll notice there is now an open / switch library function in aperture. So there really should be no real need to keep such large libraries any more. I've always kept a few libraries, happy now I did :thumbup: .

Keep the faith, thumbnail generation is the slowest part (and I mean really slow) of the process, you'll just have to grin and bare it.:salute:

jonoslack

This morning, all seems ok. You're talking about updating the checksum I presume?. I don't really know if it makes a difference to be honest, I do it anyway, no big deal.

It's just for those who are complaining about the reds of the M9 within aperture, I don't really know if it will make that much difference as I don't (yet) have a M9 to test it with. But they are welcome to try and see if it makes any improvement.
I think the reds are only an issue in tungsten - I'm happy to have a preset changing the hue and saturation to deal with it (after all, one can apply it to batches). In natural light the results are fab (preferable to C1 and Lightroom in my very humble opinion).
Also - the colour matrix values are likely to change in the near future anyway.
Glad to hear you're making slow progress, at least it's progress. I'm reading about a lot of crashes on library conversion elsewhere. You'll notice there is now an open / switch library function in aperture. So there really should be no real need to keep such large libraries any more. I've always kept a few libraries, happy now I did :thumbup: .

Keep the faith, thumbnail generation is the slowest part (and I mean really slow) of the process, you'll just have to grin and bare it.:salute:
I like to keep one library - because of searching etc. but it is getting there - and I simply switch off the massive update when I want to work (it's done 8,370 of 79,000 this morning). At least the rest of the computer works, whereas choosing the update option from load simply blocks up the whole computer.

The brushes are f***** fabulous - for the black and white landcapes I've been doing, I've been doing two stops - one to Vivezza and another to Silver Efex pro - this is only a first try, but when I've learned what I'm doing I think it'll be wonderful:

M9 WATE

As you can imagine - this is very high contrast and not simple lighting, but I think it's come together lovely :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well,
The GF1 is clearly not supported and even more the P65+ files are not even recognized as picture files :mad:
The Canon files work well, it just happens to be the rig I am not now carrying. :angry:
-bob

kevinparis

bcf

I have known the owner of the apertureexpert site for many years as we worked together at Apple. What i do know is that as part of his role at Apple he had to know Aperture inside out.

I have no comment on the article you linked

but joseph is a talented photographer with a very deep technical knowledge of Aperture

Eoin

ok... just read the comments on aperture expert and realised we are in an infinite support loop :)
Na!, we make progress over here. :)
and it's the fruit of our own labour.
Jono and myself are aperture die hards,
none of that lightroom rubbish for us :)

Status
Not open for further replies.